Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 09:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I know this fear of asymptomatic spreaders has been drilled into our heads for the last year. But I really don’t think it has proved to be true. ...
I understand why everyone has this residual fear. But I do think it is not founded in reality. Over time I hope people realize that. Because only then will we return to any kind of normal.
~40 - 50% of covid spread is estimated from the asymptomatic (from several WW sources, and why the initial spread was so quick.), but we really don't know the precise number because many areas do not test asymptomatic (including USA)
Overall, the model predicted that 59% of coronavirus transmission would come from people without symptoms, including 35% from people who were pre-symptomatic and 24% from those who never showed symptoms at all.Jan 11, 2021
https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...oms%20at%20all.

https://www.uchealth.org/today/the-t...d-of-covid-19/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03141-3

There is no need for 'fear'... (unless you end up with a 'long-haul' case, or you die)

But... it is very easy to be responsible and act in the best interest of others. And quite clear how this virus spreads.

As mentioned... 'The-Cat-is outta-the-bag' so very few places will be absent of Covid. Some places will remain less risky, and treatments, precautions, and vaccines will eventually reduce WW cases below pandemic rates. Some people will get it but never know, some will survive, some will die, some will suffer for the rest of their lives. except... the choice is not yours.

Time will tell on the no mask experiment. It certainly is not going to Stamp-it-out, / lead to 'return-to-normal'. We missed that opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 09:41 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I thought we all knew by now that masks are of little benefit to the wearers, only a courtesy to the vulnerable.
Well that’s pure Bull****. I’ve not had so much as the sniffles since I started wearing a mask in March 2020. I can’t say that has ever happened before. Masks absolutely work for the wearer. I will continue to wear one as long as there continues to be a high percentage that refuse to get vaccinated. It’s a simple thing and does not bother me at all. But I have never worn one outside or in my car, I see no reason for that at all.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 AM

146 posts, read 154,564 times
Correlation is not causation. I imagine a lot of habits of yours besides a mask changed...am I right? More hand washing, less travel, less public interaction, etc etc? The mask is just one part...

However you are certainly free to wear it as long as you want, no one saying you can’t or even trying to stop you to make the best choice for yourself.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Time will tell on the no mask experiment. It certainly is not going to Stamp-it-out, / lead to 'return-to-normal'. We missed that opportunity.

It's the mask experiment that has failed. The virus is world wide and no one thinks its going *away*. Masks aren't making it go away. It's WAY too late for testing and contact tracing thinking we can eliminate it. The only experiment I see as having a chance of working now is immunity. Get the vaccine, or become immune through exposure. One or the other. That's the test we're all going to have to pass.

The good news is we have the vaccine and it appears to be working really, really well. Good! Much less painful than doing this the hard way.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-17-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-17-2021, 10:06 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
No country will eradicate Covid. We will live with it as we do the flu.
The difference between Covid-19 and the flu are most people who get the Covid don't even know they had it but 100% of people who come down with the flu know it without a doubt.

I believe the survival rate of getting Covid is some where in the upper 98% range.
Quote:
A CDC update Wednesday says individuals are more likely to survive the coronavirus after contracting it. The health agency says if you have the virus between the ages of 0 to 70, you have a 99% survival rate. And if you’re over 70, the survival rate is nearly 95%.
I can live with those odds in a mask less society.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:07 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well that’s pure Bull****. I’ve not had so much as the sniffles since I started wearing a mask in March 2020.

This is another lurking threat... we are raising a bunch of kids who are not developing normal immunity to any of the common colds they need to face in school and in life, and adults who are not adding new variants to their own immunity.

The choice is whether we decide we're going to hide behind masks for the rest of our lives and become increasingly weaker, or to adapt to the world as it is.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well that’s pure Bull****. I’ve not had so much as the sniffles since I started wearing a mask in March 2020. I can’t say that has ever happened before. Masks absolutely work for the wearer. I will continue to wear one as long as there continues to be a high percentage that refuse to get vaccinated. It’s a simple thing and does not bother me at all. But I have never worn one outside or in my car, I see no reason for that at all.
Interesting...first did you get a vaccine?

If so do you think the vaccine will prevent you from either getting the Covid virus or prevent you from transmitting to others?
Why would anyone wear a mask even with contact with those who are not vaccinated?

The vaccine means you are protected from the non vaccinated and means you can't give the virus to others.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:26 AM

106 posts, read 76,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post

I believe the survival rate of getting Covid is some where in the upper 98% range.
It depends...and it is important to separate out the mortality numbers by age group.

Using WA Dept of Health numbers:

Ages 0-19 =99.9903% survival rate (confirmed cases)
Ages 20-34 = 99.9717% survival rate (confirmed cases)
Ages 35-49 = 99.7963% survival rate (confirmed cases)
Ages 50-64 = 99.0303% survival rate (confirmed cases)
Ages 65-79 = 93.8433% survival rate (confirmed cases)
Ages 80+ = 78.0179% survival rate (confirmed cases)

Now keep in mind the highest risk factors are (Source https://www.lewrockwell.com/2021/04/...vJqdiFlWWpE5j4):

1) advanced age
2) obesity
3) low Vitamin D (96% of COVID-19 ICU patients are Vitamin D deficient)

If you aren't afflicted with either of those 3 items above, your survival rate is higher than the numbers posted. Item #1, no one can do anything about. Items #2 and #3 are within the realm of responsibility of the individual. If you're fat and don't keep your Vitamin D levels up, it's your fault. Sorry. Not someone else's because they don't want to wear a face diaper or be prevented from working or dining at a restaurant or working out at a gym.

If you're under the age of 65 and not a lazy fat body, your fear is not supported by data.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 AM

146 posts, read 154,564 times
And now factor in estimates range from around 10-50x actual cases vs confirmed cases or more from studies....thus even further lowering. Great point again on people that have poor lifestyle choices (not all) expecting everyone else to sacrifice via an experimental vaccine that has more likelihood of causing illness or problems.

Also again, some of the vaccinated are clearly not confident or satisfied with the vaccine. I’m listening to this lady on the plane next to me tell me she didn’t realize her friends were so stupid because they didn’t want the vaccine and they all must think the world is flat. At some point the fear has taken over their ability to apply logic and resulting in cognitive decline. She even used the “follow science line”....but when presented kindly a couple of data points she had no reply or rebuttal and circled back to the world isn’t flat....

Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
....... If you are vaccinated and your vulnerable family members are vaccinated, .......

You do know that there are still people who can not be vaccinated and those people tend to have families who are trying to be careful of them. Young children still can not be vaccinated and there are other vulnerable people who have issues that prevent their being vaccinated.

I've got a tenant who has two preschool children with a bone marrow disease. Even when the vaccine is approved for their age, they still won't be able to have the vaccine.

Vaccine isn't rainbows and unicorns and one size fits absolutely everybody. Not everyone is going to be able to seek protection by vaccination, so some people are going to have to continue to practice caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington