Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 12:43 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

More sunny weather today which is a great way to end the week. That makes four days of sun in row in Vancouver. Gotta get out there and enjoy this nice weather while it lasts. Climb out of your cave of gloom and doom and look to the light. Don't worry, it's not an oncoming train.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 01:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I would go back. How long is life you can't take it with you.
I'm from the same area. It has changed a lot, IMO. You kind of have to pick your poison, so to speak.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I'm from the same area. It has changed a lot, IMO. You kind of have to pick your poison, so to speak.
Yes, indeed. My wife is from San Diego and I'm from the South Bay (Hermosa Beach) and we would never move back after decades of living there. That's not to say SoCal doesn't have it charms. Its just changed too much for us and not for the better. For us, it's better to let the newbies enjoy it including all the pros/cons from overcrowding with ridiculously expensive real estate to better year round weather.

I enjoy it much more from afar visiting the area and then returning to the PNW. For example, SoCal is a great place for a winter warmup and to visit family. But we're usually ready to return after those trips. I'll be taking another in a week to see family.

If we were to ever move back to CA, which is highly unlikely, it would have to be further north. Our favorite being the central coast. But never to SoCal again.

Derek

Old 04-15-2023, 09:28 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Isn't San Diego and Seattle area housing pretty much equal for prices?

Each time I take a quick look at SD and Chula Vista home prices they look identical to ours.

We pay the rain tax and down there Sunshine tax.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Isn't San Diego and Seattle area housing pretty much equal for prices?

Each time I take a quick look at SD and Chula Vista home prices they look identical to ours.

We pay the rain tax and down there Sunshine tax.
It really depends where you look because like most cities there are nicer and grungier parts with more crime, druggies, etc... But 'generally speaking' SD is more expensive with median home price of $925K while Seattle is $770K. As a prior Real Estate appraiser, I don't normally speak in generalities, but in this context of comparisons, SD is definitely a more expensive place to live along with the rest of SoCal compare to WA.

Then, when you compare other costs for a total cost of living, SoCal is even higher. That includes most expenses such as the cost of gasoline, utilities, food and a lot more in state income tax, of course.

It really depends on what you're looking for including your goals. Things such as life stage you are in along with other factors such as your job, if you plan to rent vs. buy a home and so on.

For our relatives in SD, they would never be able to afford their homes now if they were new to the area looking to buy. For a young person looking to rent and for a good time hanging out at the beaches, its a different kind of thing. If someone has kids, they need to be in a good school district and those are where home prices easily climb into the millions. So, yeah, pick your poison. No place is perfect. But SD does have a lot more sun than Seattle as well as other places in CA, AZ, FL and so on.

Derek

Old 04-15-2023, 12:44 PM

I think as far as San Diego goes the only affordable or so called affordable places are National City and San Ysidro?

I have only passed those areas briefly and they sure to my eyes don't like as nice as it's neighbor Chula Vista.

Old 04-15-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I think as far as San Diego goes the only affordable or so called affordable places are National City and San Ysidro?

I have only passed those areas briefly and they sure to my eyes don't like as nice as it's neighbor Chula Vista.
You have to be careful in SoCal with so many extremes including the richest of rich and poorest of poor. That includes some areas with really high crime, gangs, guns, drugs, violent attacks, etc...

San Ysidro is right on the border of a third world country and TJ is pretty bad. There's a lot stuff going down at the border 24/7 from drug smuggling, human trafficking, illegal border crossings, car jackings and more. Its also why real estate is cheaper. But I would not recommend living there. It gets a crime grade of D- overall with a grade of F for violent crime. So, its a buyer beware marker, for sure.
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-san-ysidro-ca/

National City is not much better with the same high crime.
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places...ional-city-ca/

Chula Vista is definitely better in certain parts.
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-chula-vista-ca/

When I lived in LA, you could literally cross the tracks and be in danger walking in gang territory. You've got to know those invisible boundaries. Getting jumped and robbed or car jacked was not an uncommon thing along with regular shootings and other violent crimes. I've never heard so many gun shots in one place before. Cops with police helicopters buzzing around the skys are the most common bird. I prefer seeing bald eagles here or even seagulls. Drug house raids occur with cops holding their shields as they bust down the doors. That's life on the streets of LA. You've got to be street smart to survive in the concrete jungle. When new to some of these higher crime areas, its much better to be safe than sorry. Warm weather matters not if you're getting robbed, etc...

That's not to say Seattle and Tacoma don't have their cr@ppy areas with high crime as well. It's just different when you're right on the boarder of a country where crime is literally happening daily in various forms. The drug cartels are real as are the wars they wage along with the local gangs and drug addicts doing anything they can for that next fix.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-15-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 06:36 AM

Thanks Derek.

Much appreciated. I am already dreading the upcoming fall and winter. This area is not for me but I am stuck making a living here.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:12 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
Raining and overcast. It's in the 40s but supposed to get up to 50 degrees today.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
Yes, it's gray again. But, glad to not be in a heatwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington