Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2024, 11:35 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times

Advertisements

That's great you can escape to the Oregon Coast for a break. Last time we went, it was a 7 hour drive (traffic through Seattle/Olympia added a lot of time) and that's not a day trip. But I always love when we do get down there. It's gorgeous even on stormy winter days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 01:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Gray. Yuma dreams.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:09 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
That's great you can escape to the Oregon Coast for a break. Last time we went, it was a 7 hour drive (traffic through Seattle/Olympia added a lot of time) and that's not a day trip. But I always love when we do get down there. It's gorgeous even on stormy winter days.
Yeah, access to the coast was one of our top priorities when first moving to WA. That's also why places near Olympia such as Lacey and Tumwater were high on the list as well. But I have a certain affinity for the Oregon coast. Since Vancouver is only a ~ two hour drive, it can be either a day trip or extended weekend. Similar to Bham enjoying easy access to Vancouver BC at the northern border, we enjoy easy access to Oregon with the Gorge waterfalls, Mt. Hood and the coast all within close proximity. It's like our backyard. This is likely another reason Clark County is the second fastest growing county in the state.

The OP is another option with easy access to the WA coast from place like PT and Sequim. Due to the more remote nature of those WA beach towns including limited access within tribal lands, the Oregon coast just seems more inviting and accessible from a visitor's standpoint.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-03-2024 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-03-2024, 08:18 PM

Raining off and on again today in the upper 40s. We had a bit of clearing and some blue skies at the end of the day which was nice for walk.

Derek

Old 01-04-2024, 02:23 PM

We have rain and clouds but not the heavy dark clouds we had in November (during the atmospheric rivers) when you can't tell noon from dusk.

It's been an unusually bright winter for light compared to most (doesn't mean it's sunny, just not as bad as many winters). The clouds are lighter gray than many winters.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
We have rain and clouds but not the heavy dark clouds we had in November (during the atmospheric rivers) when you can't tell noon from dusk.

It's been an unusually bright winter for light compared to most (doesn't mean it's sunny, just not as bad as many winters). The clouds are lighter gray than many winters.
That sort of reminds of all the different types of rain we experience in the PNW. When I was first looking into moving and asked about rain, I heard the common stereotypes like 'it only drizzles' in the PNW. Of course, like all stereotypes there is a lot more to it including all kinds of rain from mist to drenching.

When considering the variety of cloudy days we have, they are definitely not all created equal. And I do enjoy these types with more light filtering through them overall.

Derek

Old 01-06-2024, 09:54 PM

Winter is definitely here. We're getting lots of consecutive days of rain with more for the foreseeable future. We did get a sun break today during the first half before drenching rain in the afternoon which I go soaked in going walking regardless. So much for the waterproof jacket that never really was. Gotta stay active even during these winter months.

My son is flying in from Cancun after going there on vacation and I must admit to being a little jealous. I'm gonna plan a winter warmup to southern regions soon.

A few pics from today when we had a break between rain bands.

Derek

Old 01-07-2024, 12:24 PM

It's been mostly gray here and there's so much mud. But it's been above freezing. We get the deep freeze at the end of the week and it will be nice to have the mud frozen.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:20 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
The hills at 400-500ft elevation near us were dusted with snow this morning.
We had mid 30’s this morning at the house and wet decks with no ice or frosting.
No wind and flat water.

I spent all morning outside doing some carpentry and was just fine wearing Levi’s and a Pendleton.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:39 PM

Today we had some much needed sun breaks between all these days of rain. I enjoyed a long walk and it felt great on the face. It's amazing how much warmer it feels during winter when the sun hits you even with cooler temps. Today got to mid 40s and still above freezing at night. But next week looks to be the first chance of snow for us this winter by the end of the week. A few pics from today's walk.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington