Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,657,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
I don't think they would have any chance at all. The very brief summer is just too cold, and the rest of the year wouldn't see any movement at all. This place has the same climate as Campbell island.
Yeah I would have to see pictures of palms on the Faroes to believe it. If they can survive there then they would also be able to survive in the more southerly, milder, sunnier Shetlands, and I've never heard of that ever happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Admittedly, I don't have any evidence that a Chilean Wine Palm would survive on the Faroes. It was mere conjecture on my part based on the fact that it never gets very cold in the Faroes and the Chilean Wine Palm also likes cool summers. However, there is evidence of Windmill palms growing on the Faroes:

Hardy palms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says " Trachycarpus fortunei is also being grown experimentally in Tórshavn on the Faroe Islands (62°N), with young plants growing well so far (Højgaard et al., 1989)."

Young plants aren't nearly as hardy as mature plants, so I think they would be fine.

Also, palm trees can be grown in several areas of Scandinavia. In fact, as I posted above, there is an entire website devoted to the cultivation of palm trees in Scandinavia.

Scanpalm - Palms in Scandinavia (http://www.scanpalm.no/english.html - broken link)

You never know what is possible unless you push the limits....

Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
I live in Molino,Florida and I am so sick of all the palms they are planting every where up here. If I wanted to live on the beach I would have moved to the beach. They are cutting down huge shade trees to plant short beachy pines so when you cross over from Alabama you know you are in Florida. And don't let anyone tell you they are slow growers. They are sprouting and growing like weeds in my yard.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:15 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
If they can be grown in these places then it shouldn't give a false look on the climate.

Myself I don't care as much about palm trees. I like other tropical plants. Palm trees also give no shade :P

Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Palm trees are so overrated, I honestly don't see the obsession or why people would want to plant them in continental climates where they are going to wind up dead or ugly-looking anyway (unless you go to extreme measures to protect them). This is coming from a south FL resident of 14 years so I guess I'm just tired of seeing them everyday lol

Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
If they can be grown in these places then it shouldn't give a false look on the climate.

Myself I don't care as much about palm trees. I like other tropical plants. Palm trees also give no shade :P
Young CIDPs provide a lot of shade. too much even. I sometimes see them getting cut down for that very reason.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,981 times
I don't understand this fetish of trying to grow palms in crap climates like Vancouver, England, Scandinavia etc.

Palm trees aren't going to improve the unlivable climate and perceptions of others of such places, and well if it was me, I couldn't enjoy palm trees if I lived in a climate not worthy of them to the same level as if I was in a good climate.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I don't understand this fetish of trying to grow palms in crap climates like Vancouver, England, Scandinavia etc.

Palm trees aren't going to improve the unlivable climate and perceptions of others of such places, and well if it was me, I couldn't enjoy palm trees if I lived in a climate not worthy of them to the same level as if I was in a good climate.
I have seen the same said of Melbourne, from Queenslanders on different forums. Although Melbourne is in a different league from those other places mentioned.

If it can grow, grow it. I don't bother with any plants that need protecting though.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Seeing the palm trees lining the promenade of southern English seaside resorts always seemed normal to me. They are quite happy growing there. And these aren't any miniature palms either. Proper 30ft tall examples.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post

Well, the climates of Vancouver and England are not unlivable..

And a lot of palms that are grown in places like Melbourne and Miami are definitely not native to these places. Before the palm was introduced to Florida it was just swampy with trees more similar to Alabama and Louisiana.

As Joe says, if it can grow, so what? And most people just grow these plants/trees as a hobby, not because they want to try and make their oceanic climates look tropical. They do make towns look more attractive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather