Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
It's not about whether we are tropical or not. The question wasn't, who is more tropical? People on here know that Florida etc is warmer than NZ.(at least I hope they do)

What I was saying ( and I wasn't talking about Australia) is that the flora here is of tropical origin. Much of it looks tropical, more so than Florida. Much of the the forest of the US Southeast has always struck me as having a cold climate look.

I would have to agree with TOM77FALCONS on the above:

The coastal lowlands of the Southeast are mostly covered with hardwood evergreens (live oaks, magnolias, cypress swamps, etc) and palms. Much of the coastal plain of the Gulf/South Atlantic, while classified as Cfa –Humid Subtropical, is really more Subtropical Wet/Dry Cw. Florida has a wet/dry rainfall pattern and winters can be very dry, so the “jungle look” is not very common, since sunshine and heat rule for much of the year. I would expect in a damp/cooler climate like New Zealand to even be more green "lush" the subtropical (Cf) or even tropical savanna climates (Aw). Of course in the Southwestern USA - this is even more the case, much of the subtropical zone is classified as Cs/Csa (Subtropical Mediterranean) so the last thing it is lush (lol). Also, as far as the flora of New Zealand being of “tropical origin” not real sure about that one. From what I understand, despite all the palms cultivated anywhere in New Zealand – there is only one “native/wild palm” nīkau palm. Not sure if that is still the case.

My larger point was really how palms look in Temperate climates/environments (esp the man-made) vs Subtropical/Tropical climates:

For example, much of the architecture in tropical/subtropical climates has a certain “look’ that gives away its low latitude, hot, sunny location. Most buildings in the deep subtropics/tropics have large shutters to block the strong sun, are often raised off the ground for ventilation/cyclones, have long porches for sitting and catching a breeze, are often colored in bright colors, etc. Palms seem (?) to fit better in areas with this look. This concept might be a little more difficult to grasp in the southern Hemisphere, but I would guess that I mean the typical “Queenslander” style …vs… the style one might find in a typical building in deep South Island, NZ. I don’t really have a good picture of what I mean, but something like these would be a basic example here in the Northern Hemisphere:

House in the Portland area of the Pacific Northwest:

House in the Melbourne area of Florida:

When you take the difference in the man-made environment between the subtropics/tropics and the temperate zone …then added in with the difference in the look/feel of the weather between these zones (low latitude = hot, sunny, bright, high sun angles, tall convective clouds…etc/high latitudes = cool, more cloudy, low sun angles, horizontal stratus clouds, chill/damp/snow…etc)… my question is do palms fit in the look (both man-made and natural) of higher latitude temperate climates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM

287 posts, read 739,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I would have to agree with TOM77FALCONS on the above:

The coastal lowlands of the Southeast are mostly covered with hardwood evergreens (live oaks, magnolias, cypress swamps, etc) and palms. Much of the coastal plain of the Gulf/South Atlantic, while classified as Cfa –Humid Subtropical, is really more Subtropical Wet/Dry Cw. Florida has a wet/dry rainfall pattern and winters can be very dry, so the “jungle look” is not very common, since sunshine and heat rule for much of the year. I would expect in a damp/cooler climate like New Zealand to even be more green "lush" the subtropical (Cf) or even tropical savanna climates (Aw). Of course in the Southwestern USA - this is even more the case, much of the subtropical zone is classified as Cs/Csa (Subtropical Mediterranean) so the last thing it is lush (lol). Also, as far as the flora of New Zealand being of “tropical origin” not real sure about that one. From what I understand, despite all the palms cultivated anywhere in New Zealand – there is only one “native/wild palm” nīkau palm. Not sure if that is still the case.

My larger point was really how palms look in Temperate climates/environments (esp the man-made) vs Subtropical/Tropical climates:

For example, much of the architecture in tropical/subtropical climates has a certain “look’ that gives away its low latitude, hot, sunny location. Most buildings in the deep subtropics/tropics have large shutters to block the strong sun, are often raised off the ground for ventilation/cyclones, have long porches for sitting and catching a breeze, are often colored in bright colors, etc. Palms seem (?) to fit better in areas with this look. This concept might be a little more difficult to grasp in the southern Hemisphere, but I would guess that I mean the typical “Queenslander” style …vs… the style one might find in a typical building in deep South Island, NZ. I don’t really have a good picture of what I mean, but something like these would be a basic example here in the Northern Hemisphere:

House in the Portland area of the Pacific Northwest:

House in the Melbourne area of Florida:

When you take the difference in the man-made environment between the subtropics/tropics and the temperate zone …then added in with the difference in the look/feel of the weather between these zones (low latitude = hot, sunny, bright, high sun angles, tall convective clouds…etc/high latitudes = cool, more cloudy, low sun angles, horizontal stratus clouds, chill/damp/snow…etc)… my question is do palms fit in the look (both man-made and natural) of higher latitude temperate climates?
Whoa that Portland house is eerily strange. Doesn't fit in compared to many other houses in Portland lol. Probably a seriously mountain-family lives in there hahah. I'm from Portland, Oregon. That metal roof seems means it is in the Cascades (due to insane amount of annual snow totals), it has to slip off roof, or it is in outskirts of East Portland (far East, in foothills of Cascades between 1,500 to 3,000 ft)

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,189,048 times
I don't think these look out of place.

There are also cabbage trees which grown on pretty much every street.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
^^

Can't see the top 2 pictures but the bottom picture looks like it has a windmill palm (perhaps the same kind they grow in Vancouver?), and is that a tree fern on the left? Nice!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
^^

Can't see the top 2 pictures but the bottom picture looks like it has a windmill palm (perhaps the same kind they grow in Vancouver?), and is that a tree fern on the left? Nice!

I assume it is a Windmill Palm.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Here are the links to the top pics.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/76/396076/1/78...eCourtCIDP.jpg
http://s4.postimage.org/286u78zcfd/100_5818_1.jpg

They are date palms.

The bottom pic has a NZ cabbage tree (far left), a tree fern, 2 or 3 windmill palms and a banana tree.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM

650 posts, read 1,328,194 times
This is about 7 or 8 miles away from me in Long Beach (zone 7/8), I don't think Palms would look out of place somewhere like here:

http://activerain.com/image_store/up...7973247052.jpg

I would never picture Canary Island date palms in London but it makes sense since London's winters are just enough to accommodate them.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
Here are the links to the top pics.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/76/396076/1/78...eCourtCIDP.jpg
http://s4.postimage.org/286u78zcfd/100_5818_1.jpg

They are date palms.

The bottom pic has a NZ cabbage tree (far left), a tree fern, 2 or 3 windmill palms and a banana tree.
Where are these photos at?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 PM

They are all from London.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I don't think Palms would look out of place somewhere like here:

http://activerain.com/image_store/up...7973247052.jpg

This is about 7 or 8 miles away from me in Long Beach (NY).
I agree they won't. Continental climate of East Coast is unique because that large area is found nowhere anywhere in world, where Summer feels like it is in an absolute tropical climate, humid, warm-hot summers, lows from 65 to 75 degrees. But Winter time, it is different story... Gets cold! Blizzard blasts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather