Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honolulu or Hilo?
Honolulu 14 42.42%
Hilo 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
What 130 inches of rain and volcanic soil does... Rain just gets a bad hype IMO
If one could guarantee that all the rain will fall between 2am and 6am, I'd love rain too. Rain is fantastic ... except when you have to or want to be outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
If one could guarantee that all the rain will fall between 2am and 6am, I'd love rain too. Rain is fantastic ... except when you have to or want to be outside
No.

Rain at 2 am to 6am would not be a good time because it can be loud and prevent someone from falling asleep.

The best time for rain is 7am to 9pm so from early morning to early evening.

A lot of people like rain and for plenty of reasons and also enjoy to be outside in rain
I guess you are just talking about yourself in that case.

I prefer the high precipitation of Hilo over the excessive dryness of Honolulu. Hilo still gets enough sunshine, and all of it is tropical sunshine.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
No.

Rain at 2 am to 6am would not be a good time because it can be loud and prevent someone from falling asleep.

The best time for rain is 7am to 9pm so from early morning to early evening.

A lot of people like rain and for plenty of reasons and also enjoy to be outside in rain
I guess you are just talking about yourself in that case.

I prefer the high precipitation of Hilo over the excessive dryness of Honolulu. Hilo still gets enough sunshine, and all of it is tropical sunshine.
I never had a problem falling asleep in the rain, unless there is an unusually loud thunderstorm. If the thunder is sufficiently far away, I'm not bothered by it at all.

Really, plenty of people like to be in the rain? They like to walk around and get soaked? Have bbqs and picnics, too? The burger buns might get a little soggy

I even hate driving in the rain. The squeaky windshield wipers, the foggy windows necessitating the use of cold defog. At night it is hard to see the road unless there are reflectors built in. It is also more dangerous.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Most of the rain actually does fall at night in Hilo, most of it as short downpours (great sleeping weather!)...

Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Most of the rain actually does fall at night in Hilo, most of it as short downpours (great sleeping weather!)...
Really? Perhaps but the very low sunshine hours seem to indicate differently.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Even though I love snow and cold weather, I'd definitely live in a place with Hilo's climate or something similar. I'm not sure if I'd actually like Hilo itself though.

I like rain though so Hilo is perfect.

The average lows look pretty low for a tropical climate. Summer average lows in the mid to upper 70s would be a nice modification.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Honolulu by miles!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
The weather in Hilo is very depressing with mostly nuscent rain and some heavy downpours almost every day. When they get the 30 inches of rain, it's pretty constantly heavy for over 14 hour straight raining at 2 to almost 3 inches an hour, heavy but in boring constant way. If you look at the radar, it's mostly yellow and very few orange. I guess their soil can's handle the rainfall rate and floods everywhere. It's just depressing and boring, and the rain acts like automatic. Mostly, it's under an inch for days after days with the big ones with bring over 5 inches 4-5 times a year. I'd actually like much heavier and more exciting downpours that they get in a severe thunderstorm in U.S. plains. That's more fun. Otherwise I'd pick Honolulu.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Correction #18: with the big one dumping over 5 inches 4-5 times a year.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Honolulu. I'd rather not have my days interrupted by rain so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather