Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honolulu or Hilo?
Honolulu 14 42.42%
Hilo 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times

Advertisements

Which one do you prefer? Warm, sunny, and dry Honolulu or cooler, wet, and cloudy Hilo?

Honolulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hilo, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a fan of arid climates, so Hilo is my pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Honolulu might be a bit too dry but still preferable to Hilo. I think NYC is too wet and yet the wettest month in NYC is much drier than the driest month in Hilo. In fact, Hilo has twice the precipitation of New Orleans which is one of the wettest American cities.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Honolulu for sure.. I like warm weather no matter what, but if I had to pick warm and dry vs warm and wet.. I'd pick warm and dry.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
I feel like Honolulu is a bit too dry for me, so I pick Hilo. I also find Hilo weather more interesting.
Hilo still gets enough annual sunshine at 1,800 sunshine hours and plus it is tropical sunshine and I wouldn't be surprised if it still gets more sunshine than that.

Ideally, I would pick something in between Honolulu and Hilo for precipitation such as somewhere in the 40 to 100 inches range.
I am sure Hawaii in particular must have areas that get precipitation in that range.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM

1800 hours is worse than Seattle.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
1800 hours is worse than Seattle.
No way.

Seattle's annual sunshine seems lower to me than Hilo.
It does not seem like Seattle gets more sunshine than Hilo, especially compared to Seattle's sunshine in the year 2010 and the year 2011 so far.

Plus, whenever Hilo gets sunshine it is tropical sunshine and for every month of the year. Only from May to September Seattle can get sunshine that is effective sun exposure and not too low in uv index.

Also, Hilo's sunshine is evenly distributed throughout the year which makes a huge difference. For Seattle, almost all of the sunshine is concentrated from July to September most years, and sunshine is not evenly distributed at all.

Also, Seattle gets only 37 inches average annual precipitation while for Hilo it is 127 inches(Literally 90 inches more precip) yet Hilo gets more sunshine and stronger sunshine than Seattle.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
No way.

It does not seem like Seattle gets more sunshine than Hilo, especially compared to Seattle's sunshine in the year 2010 and the year 2011 so far.

Plus, whenever Hilo gets sunshine it is tropical sunshine and for every month of the year. Only from May to September Seattle can get sunshine that is effective sun exposure and not too low in uv index.
We've talked about this. "Seem" is one thing, measurable, objective data is another.

As far as lower sun angle, this is true. However, given my fair skin color, I might be better off in Seattle instead in bathing sunblock in Hawaii.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
We've talked about this. "Seem" is one thing, measurable, objective data is another.

As far as lower sun angle, this is true. However, given my fair skin color, I might be better off in Seattle instead in bathing sunblock in Hawaii.
Well, I am talking about all of those factors at the same time, objective data, measurable data, and subject"seem" data. All three are legitimate factors in determining how someone perceives and experiences a certain weather climate.

Yes, for sun exposure Hilo Hawaii is better than Seattle for all the reasons I mentioned before and I still think Hilo is better for sun exposure than Seattle.

Direct sun exposure can still be good for people with "fair"(you probably mean pale) skin color. I used to have very pale skin when I was younger but for the past 2 years my skin got much more of a tan from more direct sun exposure, especially in the late spring, summer, and early fall. I am glad I am not as pale as I used to be before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
No way.

Also, Hilo's sunshine is evenly distributed throughout the year which makes a huge difference. For Seattle, almost all of the sunshine is concentrated from July to September most years, and sunshine is not evenly distributed at all.

Also, Seattle gets only 37 inches average annual precipitation while for Hilo it is 127 inches(Literally 90 inches more precip) yet Hilo gets more sunshine and stronger sunshine than Seattle.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Both are far from ideal, but I'd pick Hilo for the cloudiness and rain.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:32 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
What 130 inches of rain and volcanic soil does... Rain just gets a bad hype IMO

Source: Palms in the rain - PalmTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather