Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times

Advertisements

It's a common misconception that England has a meteorological summer. Astronomical yes, meteorologically no. Less than 150 of sun hours in a "summer" month with mean temps in the 50's is not a summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It's a common misconception that England has a meteorological summer. Astronomical yes, meteorologically no. Less than 150 of sun hours in a "summer" month with mean temps in the 50's is not a summer.
I couldn't agree more. That is not summer by any means.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Summer is defined as the warmest part of the year.. everywhere that is not equatorial or Antarctic has a summer of some kind, even if it's cold and cloudy.

By my own definition, summer in England is lovely and warm.

Anyway, most places in England have mean summer temperatures in the 60's Fahrenheit with sunshine hours way above 150.. the obvious exceptions being high altitude areas such as Buxton, or Penrith, or somewhere else. Still cool by heat lovers' definitions I guess.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Summer is defined as the warmest part of the year.. everywhere that is not equatorial or Antarctic has a summer of some kind.
Actually even the Antarctic has a summer then by that definition.

Quote:

Anyway, most places in England have mean summer temperatures in the 60's Fahrenheit with sunshine hours way above 150.. the obvious exceptions being high altitude areas such as Buxton, or Penrith, or somewhere else. Still cool by heat lovers' definitions I guess.
Soutern/S Eastern England has mean summer temps creeping into the low-mid 60's°F but the summer CET is only 15.9°C / 60.6°F (1981-2010) which means a good half the places are cooler and which is still **** for summer.

My new four season fantasy climate (not published yet, doing each year manually, takes ages) will have a real winter and a real summer, as in, real summer. Real summers aren't meant to be pleasant but HOT HOT and more HOT.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-02-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Summer is defined as the warmest part of the year.. everywhere that is not equatorial or Antarctic has a summer of some kind, even if it's cold and cloudy.

By my own definition, summer in England is lovely and warm.

I thought summers there were fantastically comfortable. I love it when the temps are in the mid to high 60s with some sun or no sun. It was very comfortable to walk 5-10 miles a day in that temperature, and I still sweated at the end of the walking session. So I recommend those who complain about sub-70 summers to actually go ouside on your days off and exercise, then you'll feel hot and sweaty

Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So I recommend those who complain about sub-70 summers to actually go ouside on your days off and exercise, then you'll feel hot and sweaty
I'm always outside and exercising on sunny days 70-75 degree days (75 is as warm as it ever gets here) and I don't get hot and sweaty not even in a fleece and hat. It would have to be at least 80 degrees for that to happen, and then I'd take off my fleece and hat, so no sweating til around 90 degrees.

Most of the time it's too cold in the summer for me to enjoy exercising outside (below 65 or so) so I don't bother because there are things I'd rather do inside instead, than nursing a runny nose and getting irritated by a sniping cold wind chilling my bones.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
No the summers are pathetically freezing. I have days this summer where the temp was not far of the upper 40's f.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Actually even the Antarctic has a summer then by that definition.
I prefer my own seasonal "staging" system. The stages (simply put) are as follows:

1. Winter (snowpack being maintained on the ground)
2. Breakup (snowpack melts)
3. Spring (flowers bloom, plants (esp. trees) come out of dormancy)
4. Summer (spring growth stops, no frosts, warmth dominates)

So, in a subarctic climate, they have a winter and never get beyond the Spring phase. That Spring is what is referred to as "Summer" in those parts. A tundra climate doesn't progress much beyond the breakup phase, and this is what is loosely referred to as "Summer" in those sort of climates. In an ice cap climate (like interior Antarctica) the Winter stage is perpetual, and the warmest part of the year just offers a milder version of the Winter phase. In these parts Summer is just a relative term and there is no true seasonal change.

This system can also be applied to subtropical or temperate climates. In places like New York, Washington, or even Buxton a snowpack is never established, therefore weather closely resembling the Breakup phase lingers through the Winter. In places like the Gulf Coast and points warmer, there is no period of dormancy, and there aren't any clearly defined seasons, as the summer stage is perpetual, and at best a weak combination of Spring and Autumn occurs in "Winter".

I think it offers a good way to grasp the complexities of seasons in most mid and high latitude climates (there are many where this sort of system doesn't work but as far as the four seasons paradigm goes I think this takes it to the limit).

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I thought summers there were fantastically comfortable. I love it when the temps are in the mid to high 60s with some sun or no sun. It was very comfortable to walk 5-10 miles a day in that temperature, and I still sweated at the end of the walking session. So I recommend those who complain about sub-70 summers to actually go ouside on your days off and exercise, then you'll feel hot and sweaty
I've actually quite enjoyed our room-temperature summer temperatures too for the complete lack of discomfort apart from about half a dozen hot days. I try to get out for a 20-minute run or bike ride just before it gets dark and I've found the 15C and drizzly weather we've had so much of to be ideal.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Yes It's a myth that NYC has cold winters. Actually it's warmer than Buxton's by day and nights aren't that much colder. Probably gets less snow too. Not to mention it's very sunny with over 140hr sun a month.

I'd actually describe Buxton as having "breakup" season then by that definition and then a brief spring, then autumn lasting until late December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've actually quite enjoyed our room-temperature summer temperatures too for the complete lack of discomfort apart from about half a dozen hot days. I try to get out for a 20-minute run or bike ride just before it gets dark and I've found the 15C and drizzly weather we've had so much of to be ideal.
To me 15 degree days in summer are far more uncomfortable than say 25 degrees. For any kind of activity, unless I want to be in the national nose running championships. Just the biting cold feel of the air is bad enough. In a real summer those temps at night would be too cold let alone in the day. Considering 15 degrees inside even our cold house is far too intolerable to live in I couldn't imagine how I'd ever respect that level of cold outside in "summer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather