Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times

Advertisements

This summer just won't let up. Sigh, time to hibernate. I'm so grateful that I can work from home!

Sat 7/14: 64/89F (18/32C)
Sun 7/15: 70/93F (21/34C)
Mon 7/16: 67/93F (19/34C)
Tues 7/17: 71/95F (22/35C)
Wed 7/18: 72/87F (22/31C)
Thurs 7/19: 66/83F (19/28C)

Thursday's high is the average high here, btw. Well, it won't be the average anymore :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

On a side note, what's the warmest and coldest artificial water anyone's ever experienced?

In bariloche, the nahuel huappi lake is at around 10celsius, and i dipped there everytime i went to bariloche in summer. And Bariloche isnt even that hot.

But of course im used to cold waters. Water in MDP is always very cold, usually at 18c, it could get to 20c in a very warm current day, and go down to 16c. I never thought that mdp water was cold, no matter at what temp i stick in. I feel like 16-18c waters are perfect for summer temperatures. If temp outside is 30c....why on earth would i wanna get into a 25 c water??? eek.

Ill hate those hot waters.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I thought we might break 20C for the first time in over a week today but after spending an hour at 19.9C it's just fallen slightly to 19.6C.
Despite the wet start here, I don't think this month is going to turn out too wet. Not much rain recently, not much rain in our forecast, tomorrow and Sunday look sunny and temperatures will return to average values (21C) by next week.

As for cold sea water, I've gone into the northern English sea before, at Scarborough and Bridlington, and I don't recall dying of hypothermia. I don't think I'd want to stay in for too long but a quick dip isn't too bad on a warm, sunny day. Anyway I don't go to coastal towns to swim in the ocean or relax on the beach, I go because I really enjoy them, there's something special about these locations - possibly because I spent a lot of my childhood there with family and have fond memories of going on funfair rides and eating fish & chips.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
If your true dream scenario happened and the Gulf Stream shut down completely, it would be much worse impacts to the weather than 18C water. It would be a major earth changing disruption to the worlds weather systems and ocean currents. You really are an extremist aren't you. You need to move to your dream climates in Alaska and stop wishing your gross cold on the rest of us. We ain't buying.
*evil laugh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I was visiting my folks in North Carolina these past few days, to pick up some woodworking tools my uncle no longer needed, and I came back from doing that dirty and hot, so I hopped into the shower, hoping to cool off. But no matter what I did with the shower dial, I couldn't get any cool water to come out - it was either lukewarm or downright hot. I asked my dad what was wrong with the plumbing and he said nothing, that was the temp of the tap water coming through the water supply, which he measured at a toasty 85 degrees. Is that insane or what?!? Can't even take a frickin' cold shower. At least I don't have that problem here in Atlanta...lol.
That is insane. If people had the same problems in winter, with heat barely being able to keep up above 55F on a normal cold day, and no hot water coming out of the faucet (the choices being frigid and lukewarm), you'd hear a lot more complaining.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
86F/46F and sunny today.

Last Wednesday was 90F/49F and sunny...

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
This summer just won't let up. Sigh, time to hibernate. I'm so grateful that I can work from home!

Sat 7/14: 64/89F (18/32C)
Sun 7/15: 70/93F (21/34C)
Mon 7/16: 67/93F (19/34C)
Tues 7/17: 71/95F (22/35C)
Wed 7/18: 72/87F (22/31C)
Thurs 7/19: 66/83F (19/28C)

Thursday's high is the average high here, btw. Well, it won't be the average anymore :P

thats awful, it reminds me of january. I hope it cools off soon.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
11 hours of sun on the 11th, 8 on the 12th.. not too bad, not much rain recently either and today is looking like another sunny one with skies clearing rapidly as I type this.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

I once swam in a lake in a hot-summer climate and I estimate the water temperature was in the mid 80's. Not too bad for swimming. However, the bulk of my experience has been in pools. I'm not too fond of the beach.
Surprised you wouldn't find that too warm. Would like to experience that some day.

Quote:
On a side note, what's the warmest and coldest artificial water anyone's ever experienced?

For me the coldest would have to be an indoor pool I went to earlier this month, where I estimate the water temperature was 68-71F. Most of the other swimmers found it to be "freezing", and one woman even had to get out of it lest she succumb to hypothermia (maybe that's exaggerated, but you get the picture). Meanwhile I was chugging along and felt no discomfort at all after I was in it for a few seconds. My swimming style has been compared to a seal, and when I took a glance at the Frozen Planet documentary there was a bit of a resemblance .
Amusing since I've swam in natural water at a similar temperature many times, generally because I had trouble anything warmer even if it was summer. Not ideal but I managed with discomfort. Usually too cold, then acceptable, then again too cold after a while and I have to get out. I remember swimming in 70°F water on a 100°F day, though immediately by the beach air temperature was probably around 90°F. Eventually it felt rather chilly. On the drive back, we drove with the windows open and both of us enjoyed the hot air blasting us.

I was in a hot spring that probably had slightly warmer than body temperature in one of the pools. I chose a cooler one, best guess is 90-95°F water. Comfortable but a bit too warm after a while. I've put my feet in literally freezing water (could see snow nearby).

Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Maybe this is too personal a question, and you don't have to answer, but I'm curious if you are overweight. You seem extremely sensitive to warmth let alone heat. I'm not overweight, actually am 6'-1" and in pretty good shape. Heat only up in the mid 90's really bothers me and I sweat a lot at those temps. But temps in the 80's are fine for me. In winter I keep my house cool at 60-65F and don't mind it at all. I don't like biting temps in the mid 20's either. But proper winter clothing and I'm fine. Do you walk around in 20F temps with an light wind breaker on, lol?
80°F being truly uncomfortable sitting still seems a bit odd to me, though I do find on the warm side especially without air moving. But still, if 98°F is body temperature, unless your body is well insulated, 80°F is well below body temperature. Until recently, I was skinny enough my body insulation was close to 0. I find myself a bit more sensitive to warmer temperatures than previously.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe this is too personal a question, and you don't have to answer, but I'm curious if you are overweight. You seem extremely sensitive to warmth let alone heat. I'm not overweight, actually am 6'-1" and in pretty good shape. Heat only up in the mid 90's really bothers me and I sweat a lot at those temps. But temps in the 80's are fine for me. In winter I keep my house cool at 60-65F and don't mind it at all. I don't like biting temps in the mid 20's either. But proper winter clothing and I'm fine. Do you walk around in 20F temps with an light wind breaker on, lol?
Im not overweight and heat makes me faint.
When i was little i was super skinny, a typical long leg skinny tall girl. Growing up, i gain weight, and im normal weighted now, still lean and very tall. I dont think how you feel in x type of weather is strictly related to your bodyweight, though i doubt a very obese person would feel good in a 100f environment, with so much body weight to carry around, maybe.
But i know many skinny people that are heat sensitive, and also many skinny people that tolerate the cold just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather