Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I could not agree more. Of course, he has put me on IGNORE and claimed victory, when all the data shows that he is wrong. I don't care how many 300+ hour out that are Model WORTHLESS fantasy maps are painted all over these pages, the fact remains that we are turning much warmer after a very brief cool down that some try to masquerade as an Ice Age. Really. Well, in a few weeks there will me no where to hide.
What kills me is the Cherry picking - lol. Go to any NWS/NOAA/CEP/NCAR site and they all say the same thing - 2012 is running neck and neak with the warmest year in the record. Yes, it has been a below normal month in many areas in the USA this November - but it hardly means we are in a cold winter pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yea, this map looks to be in the past.

A REALLY UGLY LOOKING RED MAP OF BLOWTORCH TEMPS.
That map is a debacle for the "Much Colder and snowier than Normal" hucksters. I wonder how they are going to fit their square pegs of blizzard and snow into this round hole of reality that the NWS has presented? Maybe they need to employ Karl Rove or one of the Tea Party posters to do the Wash, Rinse and Spin. Like I said, there will be nowhere to hide very soon.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
What kills me is the Cherry picking - lol. Go to any NWS/NOAA/CEP/NCAR site and they all say the same thing - 2012 is running neck and neak with the warmest year in the record. Yes, it has been a below normal month in many areas in the USA this November - but it hardly means we are in a cold winter pattern.
I think that you will be very surprised when the Nov. data is posted around Dec. 8. Sure, there will be some Normal and Below Normal temperatures, but the bulk of the nation will be well ABOVE NORMAL for the month. This last week in the month will nail the coffin shut. No where to hide.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I think that you will be very surprised when the Nov. data is posted around Dec. 8. Sure, there will be some Normal and Below Normal temperatures, but the bulk of the nation will be well ABOVE NORMAL for the month. This last week in the month will nail the coffin shut. No where to hide.
Excetly.

One other point, look at NWS Miami....in a month that will end near 3 F below normal (the rest of the month looks slightly above normal so the negitive departures will fall some)....88% of the days where in the mid 70's . In fact, I was right when I said temps will head back into the 80's (and untrue Miami didn't make the mid 70;s)...before this cooler last 5 days....EVERYDAY WAS 80 F or HIGHER in Miami, only 2 days failed to get into the mid 70's or higher. Yea, it's really "polar " ot there - lol.

Wait till we get into the warmer than normal December pattern - lol

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Excetly.

One other point, look at NWS Miami....in a month that will end near 3 F below normal (the rest of the month looks slightly above normal so the negitive departures will fall some)....88% of the days where in the mid 70's . In fact, I was right when I said temps will head back into the 80's (and untrue Miami didn't make the mid 70;s)...before this cooler last 5 days....EVERYDAY WAS 80 F or HIGHER in Miami, only 2 days failed to get into the mid 70's or higher. Yea, it's really "polar " ot there - lol.

Wait till we get into the warmer than normal December pattern - lol
At least you expect warm weather where you are. It's a ecological DISASTER up here. I'm sure it doesn't make the national news like all the fires did last summer, but when some tourists come up here in a couple of years and observe "Hey! All the lakes are gone, and all the trees are dead in The Rocky Mt. National Park, what happened?", we can just point to Cambium and Patricia and say, "I guess it was those much colder than normal temperatures" . I know I bellyache a lot, but it is very painful to see a region just destroyed by the persistent heat and drought here.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Default Cold November Continues

Your eyes are not decieving you. in the upper right. If you plan on going hiking in the NorthEast U.S, Bundle up! These are wind chill temps midday.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Your eyes are not decieving you. in the upper right. If you plan on going hiking in the NorthEast U.S, Bundle up! These are wind chill temps midday.
Mt. Washington? I have to hand it to you, this is the ULTIMATE in cherry-picking. Enjoy your blast of warm air next week, courtesy of the rest of the U.S. and zonal flow. The cold air will move harmlessly along the Canadian border, and remain well to the north, just like it did all last winter. Dec. is rapidly approaching and there will be no where to hide from the warmth.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Continues to remain below average here and no sign of highs returning to normal in the seven-day forecast period. Lows are also expected to remain average to below. Might even get a little snow this week.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Who misses these temps? I sure dont.

7/6/12
Quote:
U.S is being torched this year .
Current temps. Lots of 100s AGAIN.
Here's the current data from the weather balloons that went up today. Long Island on left, Buffalo on right. This is always awesome to see the different layers!

850mb temps at 1500meters. Notice they are in the low teens and single digits. But notice it warms up a touch above that over Long Island

Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:

It is def going to end up being a colder than normal month here in November. We are currently running 2.9f below normal for November. Nothing unusual about that at all. Std deviation on avg monthly temp for November here is 2.9f. Doesn't mean anything for the upcoming winter. I've seen many a year with a really warm November, then a cold December.

Our most famous local meteo has come out with his winter forecast:

Hurricane's Long-Range Winter Forecast | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Above normal snowfall, but temps slightly above normal.

We may very well end up below normal for the winter, has happened before. Doesn't mean anything about a global cool down.

Here are the highlights:

THE FORECAST (for Philadelphia):
SNOW:
1. A 70% chance of above average snow
2. Most likely range: 30-35”
3. Only a 10% chance of below 20”
4. A 10+% chance of 40”+
5. Snowiest month-February
6. Least snow-March
7. At least one Nor’easter with more than 10”
TEMPERATURE
1. Slightly above average overall (only +1 degree)
2. A couple of cold periods of 2+ weeks with much below normal temps
3. A couple of mild periods of 2+ weeks with much above normal temps
4. Coldest month-February
THE COAST
At least one strong Nor’easter with 50+mph wind gusts and moderate to major coastal flooding
Glenn
11/20/12

And here is the weather channel winter forecast:

VIDEO:

Intersting in that they forecast a colder than normal Dec and Jan for the northern tier, but above normal southern. Their forecast has the southeast and south warm all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather