Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You forgot PM's Laurentia. Undoubtedly colder.
Depends on which part of the craton you're on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Where actually is "Laurentia"? Not a country I've ever heard of.
It's a geological continent, with its core being the Laurentian craton, a big stable block of continental crust, as you can see below:

It corresponds with North America, but the craton itself excludes Mexico and points southward, as well as points west of the Rockies and in the immediate coast. It's quite a distinct region and I find it to be a convenient designator for what I usually refer to and think of as "the continent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
^^^

A bit like Zealandia 1. Zealandia: the New Zealand continent - Sea floor geology - Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand

"Zealandia will rise again"

Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 AM

473 posts, read 666,928 times
This horrible spell of very dry weather is still continuing here. For more than 3 months the weather has been endlessly sunny and dry with very low humidity. As a result of the low humidity, the diurnal ranges are frequently in excess of 20C and nearly always greater than 15C.

Now I understand that where I live this time of year is hardly wet and humid on average, but even for Dalby this is pretty bad. While I can accept a few weeks of this sort of weather, several months of it drives me crazy.

At least this time other areas of Queensland, such as Brisbane and the southeast coast, are suffering from the dry weather as well. It's much more difficult to endure long spells of dry weather when the rest of Queensland is getting plenty of rain. Even the northeast coast of New South Wales, which is normally very wet, has been quite dry recently.

Today it reached 35.2C/95.4F, the hottest day since the 6th of February.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,238 times
There was hardly a cloud in the sky today but that horrible easterly maintained a steady 30 km/hr making it feel icy cold.

Absolutely dire day forecasted for tomorrow too -- a high of 9 C (uncommon even in mid-winter let alone mid-spring) with heavy rain and howling southerly winds.

I am really not enjoying this October so far (and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better). June was better than this -- at least then we had some snow so we had something to show for all the frigid weather.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
This horrible spell of very dry weather is still continuing here. For more than 3 months the weather has been endlessly sunny and dry with very low humidity. As a result of the low humidity, the diurnal ranges are frequently in excess of 20C and nearly always greater than 15C.

Now I understand that where I live this time of year is hardly wet and humid on average, but even for Dalby this is pretty bad. While I can accept a few weeks of this sort of weather, several months of it drives me crazy.

At least this time other areas of Queensland, such as Brisbane and the southeast coast, are suffering from the dry weather as well. It's much more difficult to endure long spells of dry weather when the rest of Queensland is getting plenty of rain. Even the northeast coast of New South Wales, which is normally very wet, has been quite dry recently.

Today it reached 35.2C/95.4F, the hottest day since the 6th of February.
Does it make you feel better that Williamtown airport (Newcastle Airport)
has already reached 35.9 C; 0.7 C hotter than Dalby, Queensland?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,272 times
McMurdo's forecasted temperatures for this coming friday are -22F/-49F (-30C/-45C)...that is REALLY cold for this time of year. This past winter has been very cold in McMurdo...

Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 AM

473 posts, read 666,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Does it make you feel better that Williamtown airport (Newcastle Airport)
has already reached 35.9 C; 0.7 C hotter than Dalby, Queensland?
Well I don't really mind getting very hot temperatures occasionally. My preferences are for warm to hot weather most of the year. It does annoy me when the diurnal range is very high, though, like today where the minimum was 9C and the maximum was 30C. I would much rather 14C/25C and higher humidity.

Weather forecasts are now showing rain and thunderstorms for Thursday, but I won't believe it until I see it. There should also be unusually cold mornings on Friday and Saturday, possibly close to 0C. Snow is even forecast for the NSW Central and Northern Tablelands.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,745 times
Very pleasant going to work early this morning in the midst of some very heavy showers which were enough to cause some localised flooding . Around 10mm fell taking the MTD total to around 20mm. Vegetation looking even more greener and fresher Naturally none in the city - just a few drips and drabs here and there making it another very coastal event. Friday was warm with the maximum reaching 34C, and the day before 32C, followed by a evening strong cold southerly change with the maximum on Saturday reaching just 18C with lovely overcast skies, morning showers and an - surprisingly - cold northerly blowing. Liking the look of this forecast over the next few days - until Sunday that is - : Sydney Forecast. Yesterday, as well as this morning, saw mostly cloudy skies . Nice to have a break from the vapid sunny and dry conditions which has battered us since the middle of July!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,745 times
Quote:
Well I don't really mind getting very hot temperatures occasionally. My preferences are for warm to hot weather most of the year. It does annoy me when the diurnal range is very high, though, like today where the minimum was 9C and the maximum was 30C. I would much rather 14C/25C and higher humidity.

Weather forecasts are now showing rain and thunderstorms for Thursday, but I won't believe it until I see it. There should also be unusually cold mornings on Friday and Saturday, possibly close to 0C. Snow is even forecast for the NSW Central and Northern Tablelands.
Such a pity that horrible fat and ugly high (Colour Forecast map for next 4 days) is expected to move in far too quickly shoving the lovely low out westwards towards NZ - lucky buggers!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:

You need to move east?
Looks like big diurnal ranges are normal for Dalby; about 14 C every month of the year:

Climate statistics for Australian locations

I'm a bit surprised that Dalby isn't much warmer than here.
Almost the same climate in terms of daily mean temps to Williamtown.
Your winter highs are nearly the same and winter mornings are actually colder; altitude & being far inland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather