Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Melbourne sounds like an extension of New Zealand
It's overcast nuclear winter and lackluster summers have more in common with New Zealand than with Sydney for example. The overcast winters, the predominant cool to mild summer days interspersed with a short bouts of heat, endless barrage of cold fronts year round, seabreezes and cold summer nights.

Melbourne is actually about 1° further south than Auckland, although Auckland's summers are significantly colder for obvious reasons. The three winter months in both cities are almost identical though.

I would hate the climate everywhere in New Zealand, everywhere there is too cold in summer and too cloudy. I'd be curious to know what the average temps are like at a sea level location on the very northern parts of the North Island though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Melbourne sounds like an extension of New Zealand
Only the east coast of NZ shares any similarity with Melbourne. That is -cold fronts come off the sea, warm fronts come off the land. That is the opposite to western parts of NZ (where I live) . Christchurch would be the best comparison for Melbourne for weather, although not a very good one.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Only the east coast of NZ shares any similarity with Melbourne. That is -cold fronts come off the sea, warm fronts come off the land. That is the opposite to western parts of NZ (where I live) . Christchurch would be the best comparison for Melbourne for weather, although not a very good one.
Since you live in western NZ, I imagine that rainfall in your town is pretty high? Does it ever fall in the form of drizzle or is it at least moderately light showers?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
It's overcast nuclear winter and lackluster summers have more in common with New Zealand than with Sydney for example. The overcast winters, the predominant cool to mild summer days interspersed with a short bouts of heat, endless barrage of cold fronts year round, seabreezes and cold summer nights.

Melbourne is actually about 1° further south than Auckland, although Auckland's summers are significantly colder for obvious reasons. The three winter months in both cities are almost identical though.

I would hate the climate everywhere in New Zealand, everywhere there is too cold in summer and too cloudy. I'd be curious to know what the average temps are like at a sea level location on the very northern parts of the North Island though.
I guess the saying that you can experience all 4 seasons in Melbourne in a day (or week) might have some truth to it, huh?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Since you live in western NZ, I imagine that rainfall in your town is pretty high? Does it ever fall in the form of drizzle or is it at least moderately light showers?
It sometimes drizzles, but more typically is moderate to heavy rain. Today for example has been a warm front that saw 68 mm in 10 hours. Then it cleared for 3-4 hours and was quite sticky despite the wind, and with hot sun. Now it is raining again with about 21 mm in the last 2 hours, and some distant thunder. Tonight is forecast for a cold change with snow down to 600 m. Tomorrows high will only get to about 15C/60F, but will probably be sunny all day, with the chance of a frost - spring in other words

Rainfall in town is about 1380 mm, falling on about 102 days. I live about 4km (as the Tui flies) out of town, and rainfall is about 10 % higher, but with little difference in cloud cover. The hills right behind here cause greater lifting. Rainfall throughout the greater region varies between 550 mm- 5000 mm /22 inches-200 inches. It can get wet, but is quite variable. Dry spells aren't uncommon.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-12-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post

The are significant areas in the north and northeast of the North Island where the average daily max in Jan-Feb is 25C-25.5C, 26C in some isolated cases. The warmest overall annual daily means are about 16.0C. Highest annual sunshine means are about 2475 hours - in the South Is though, not the north.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
It sometimes drizzles, but more typically is moderate to heavy rain. Today for example has been a warm front that saw 68 mm in 10 hours. Then it cleared for 3-4 hours and was quite sticky despite the wind, and with hot sun. Now it is raining again with about 21 mm in the last 2 hours, and some distant thunder. Tonight is forecast for a cold change with snow down to 600 m. Tomorrows high will only get to about 15C/60F, but will probably be sunny all day, with the chance of a frost - spring in other words

Rainfall in town is about 1380 mm, falling on about 102 days. Rainfall throughout the greater region varies between 550 mm- 5000 mm /20 inches/200 inches.
True "western" NZ has a much higher number of rain days (1.0mm+) - about 170 on the SI's West Coast, and 135-145 in most western regions of the NI.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
True "western" NZ has a much higher number of rain days (1.0mm+) - about 170 on the SI's West Coast, and 135-145 in most western regions of the NI.
True, it's not strictly "west" here. It's more comparable than the east coast though.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
True, it's not strictly "west" here. It's more comparable than the east coast though.
It's in the "northeast" category along with parts of Bay of Plenty.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It's in the "northeast" category along with parts of Bay of Plenty.
I guess that translates into north of any dividing range, and the east refers to a rainshadow effect?

BOP is similar to here, but without real mountains. Noticeably warmer though. Nice region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather