Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Wow, surprised not to see anything about this in the papers, although I guess it's been overshadowed by the US storm.

Apparently there are two confirmed fatalities. Preliminary reports suggest over 200 mm of rain fell in two hours! I wouldn't be too hard on BA city planners, that's a huge amount of rain.
Yes, it rained A LOT, and stong winds too. But the authorities should we able to do something cause everytime it rains a lot (last time was in april, that rained more than yesterday/today, if im not mistaked -maybe this happen in august too but i dont recall) everything is a mess here. They should be able to prevent this somehow. There are zones that are COMPLETELY flooded after a big rain, and it doesnt even need to be a big storm with strong winds (like yesterdays), only a lot of amount of rain will do. I mean, this city cant defend against.....rain!!

In this newspaper you could see a lot about this storm, but its all in spanish: Clarín.com

just read in the newspaper at first glance: a guy died drowned in his own house, women died electrified, houses falling apart, cancelled flights, cancelled futbol matchs, cars drained and crushing in flooded streets, etc.
Also, that 118mm of rain falled last night between midnight and 8am.

Sad.

Anyways, im going to the cinema in an hour and theres an alert of flooding and hails and huge storms. Hope it doesnt get worst, i have to use public transportation and walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM

I just cancelled the movie appointment. Its raining super strong again and lights and thunderstorms, hail on the way, meteorological alert, i dont have an umbrella and have to take public transportation (wich means i have to walk around 10 blocks and wait in a no-roof stop for 5 minutes at least) walking under the storm.

I might like the rain but this is too much even for me.

Plus, im following all the Sandy news on internet and it got me paraonid too. This BA storm is really noisy and strong. Maybe it is just a storm. But, again, not the ideal night to get out of your house.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Eventhough its unlikely that international media is informing about just a storm in BA, specially when hurricane sandy is hitting USA, i just found 3 sites giving the info of BA storm , the 2 people dead, the thousands of evacuated and flooding, all in english:

Storm leaves 2 dead in Argentina | Fox News Latino

At least 2 dead, thousands evacuated after storm - BuenosAiresHerald.com

Floods cause chaos in Buenos Aires - World News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

One of those sources says winds got to be of 60km/h, thats pretty strong actually! :O

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,919,496 times
We have a little sandy here in Buenos Aires. Much rain all day long. now more than 100mm recorded and counting.

Two videos:

The B line of BA metro:

Lluvia 29 de Octubre 5 am - YouTube

Flooding in a street of BA:

Blanco Encalada y las vías FFCC Mitre 2 - YouTube

According to national meteorological service this is the most intense storm by October in last 100 years

Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM

WOW to that subway video!!! i take the B line at least 3 times a week, thats scary with all the water going down from the stairts like a cascade. Have to take suwbay tomorrow morning but i think ill go with the bus if this intense rain continues.

Also read that B line was stopped for many hours, and there was an electriciy shotdown near Pasteur station. Creepy, i wouldnt wanna be inside a full subway when an electricity shutdown happens! Passengers had to wait inside the train with no lights 100 m near the station B Pasteur stop. Scary.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Scary :0

Inundación Morón, Octubre 2012 - YouTube

Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

wow that current!!!

malraver you always have the best videos!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM

The rain ended finally.
Total precipitation recorded today:

Aqeroparque Airport, BA :124mm
Buenos Aires Observatory (center of city): 113mm
Ezeiza international airport: 117mm

Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
The rain ended finally.
Total precipitation recorded today:

Aqeroparque Airport, BA :124mm
Buenos Aires Observatory (center of city): 113mm
Ezeiza international airport: 117mm

it ended for good?

hopefully!

also, temp is 18.2c and humidity 98%.

The only good thing about this warmness/muggines, is that it kinda felt good when i was outside bare foot taking all the water of my balcony with a cub and cleaning my drain with the water passing my ankles!!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:04 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
97 hours mtd with 5 more days to go so the record low of 112 will easily be surpassed given forecasts have changed for more sunnier conditions. However the mtd rainfall, at 166mm, is expected to break the 1946 record of 175mm before the month's end.

Six days this month - so far - have recorded gusts, from the west, over 80km/hr with the highest gust of 102km/hr being measured yesterday.

However this pales in comparison to Wellington which has also recorded an much higher than usual number of windy days - almost comparable to October 1988 - with 16 days exceeding 80km/hr with the highest being 119km/hr on the 5th and, recently, 113km/hr yesterday.
Invercargill has now recorded - to 0800 today - 171.9mm of rain on 25 days (20 recording falls exceeding 1mm+) making this the second wettest October since records began at the current airport site 73 years ago and 122.7 hours ending yesterday (29th). I can't really give a opinion re the latter given there is two more days to go and some years have recorded quite similar totals.

Even though Sydney city has recorded around 30mm, my area - and several nearby sites - have recorded between 50 - 60mm so not an entirely dry month overall .

As for the daily maximum temperature running above average by an degree (C), this can certainly be attributed to the fact that some days recorded daily maximums ranging from 5C to 13C above normal on just 6 days with the majority being well below to normal and regarding minimums - generally much cooler than usual which would explain why I've had to hold onto wearing my winter woolies a bit longer than usual.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 10-30-2012 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather