Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times

Advertisements

Sophie et al. I'm guessing you've already put white drapes across your windows during daylight hours? Don't know what else to suggest.

Meanwhile, I'm having the opposite problem. The last five days have featured lows in the range of 2.0 - 4.6 C and highs of 11.4 - 14.7 C. The November average is 9 / 19 C. This weather is more similar to late winter than late spring.

More crap today -- frosts this morning with a high not likely to get much above 10 C and a brisk NE wind. The next couple of days offer a brief respite with forecast 22 C highs before a whole week of rain, cloud and 10-14 C highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
35.3 celsius now
37c heat index

my appartment inside is an oven, i sweat profusely without moving.

I know it wouldnt solve all my problems, but existence will be SO MUCH BETTER with A/C!!!

Im on the search, but i have to also find someone to install it, and for that i have to walk asking for prices, also have to go to different places to search for the better price in an A/C and THERES NO WAY IN HELL that im gonna go walking under the sun in 40c heat, at least when i get home i stay still and drink LOTS of water and ice without moving.

So i have to wait for this heatwave to be over to go search for the a/c.

They say saturday temp will drop a lot (high of only 23) cause on friday night is gonna rain. HOPEFULLY.
Have you considered moving to a south-facing apartment (one which doesn't catch the sun - I assume yours does) or somewhere on the ground floor?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Have you considered moving to a south-facing apartment (one which doesn't catch the sun - I assume yours does) or somewhere on the ground floor?
Mine is the last floor appartment (meaning its the hotter, since heat goes up) and catchs the sun at all hours: in the morning is in the front, when i have big windows and balcony, then at around 1 pm it goes down to my bedroom (other side of the appartment) where i have the sun ALL AFTERNOON! Thats why my bedroom is always the hottest place in my appartment. The afternoon sun is stronger and lasts longer than the morning sun. My sheets are insanely HOT when i go to sleep at night. Im seriously considering putting my sheets in the freezer.

I cant move cause i own the place, and i actually love it. Its in a GREAT neighbourhood (really hard to find a place this good in a good neighbourhood at a good prize, i searched for this for more than a year and it was difficult to find everything), its really beautiful and bright (clearly the bright part has its downs too), it has a pool and coin washing machines and its really convenient (close to work, close to everything, actually, subway near, lots of buses near, its safe to walk at night, etc). I actually really like living here, except in summer, so i figured i solve this with the A/C thing. Hopefully.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Im actually considering putting the sheets in the FREEZER. I just read advices online to sleep in very hot nights and thats one of the things that someone recomended!

did anyone try this? how did this work for you?

Im also sick, have a flu, angina (throat pain) and actually lost my voice almost completely on monday night. This (sleeping with ice, taking cold showers) isnt helping, clearly, since i had voice before but its been getting worse. I dont feel well, but i have to make a choice: if i want to be able to sleep AT ALL, i ll have to wait till it gets colder to get cured. For now, im willing to try everything, including sleeping with ice melting into my body (will do that tonight) and with frozen bottles in my feet and frozen sheets and everything. Even if the next day ill have to deal with coughing and mucus all day

Last edited by SophieLL; 11-07-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM

839 posts, read 3,076,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
i kno right??? this is horrible!!! do you have a/c in your home?? if not, how do you sleep? any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's what I was thinking...
It seems that I'm luckier that both of you, since I can tolerate (though barely) sleeping without A/C during these hot nights. But that doesn't mean that I like it, of course. The only thing that helps me is an electrical fan.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 PM

839 posts, read 3,076,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Meanwhile, I'm having the opposite problem. The last five days have featured lows in the range of 2.0 - 4.6 C and highs of 11.4 - 14.7 C. The November average is 9 / 19 C. This weather is more similar to late winter than late spring.
My kingdom for that weather!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
It seems that I'm luckier that both of you, since I can tolerate (though barely) sleeping without A/C during these hot nights. But that doesn't mean that I like it, of course. The only thing that helps me is an electrical fan.
Maybe you have a nice-ventilated appartment? or one with a lot of shade? My boyfriend lives in a 3rd floor appartment that recieves no sun during the day and its very cold in winter and it doesnt get very hot in summer. Even he was having trouble to sleep when we talked yesterday night, but that appartment is so much cooler than mine, i ve been there in summer months and you have to get out to know the temperature or if its sunny or cloudy (you cant see the sun from the window cause its too sheltered).

Mine is a freaking greenhouse

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM

WOW, huge elecrticity shotdown in the city (of course the heats to blame, who else??) NO SUBWAYS NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS huge caos in the streets. BIG PART OF THE CITY WITH NO ELECTRICITY. I was one of them, luckily, elecrticity came back in my building, but how much will it last???

Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM

insaneness. No electricity. No traffic lights. No subway. 35c heat. This city is a total chaos.

Tomorrow forecast says its gonna be hotter. If everytime it gets hot we are gonna have this problems, then this is gonna be a loooooooooong, chaotic summer.

Last edited by SophieLL; 11-07-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM

473 posts, read 667,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Had a couple of warm days in Melbourne.

Monday had an overnight low of 23C and high of 27C, yesterday was warm overnight again, didn't drop below 22C and was 25C at 6am Had some thunder during the day aswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Thankfully the humudity now is low (36%). And i have A/C in my house ...
but not in the university

The absolute min today (at 5:35 am) was 24.3ºC
Wow, our warmest night so far has only been 17.3C. I rarely see nights that warm even in the middle of summer. Although Dalby's weather station doesn't experience the urban heat island like these cities would.

The forecasts are looking good for some nice rain here for Friday and Saturday, with over 50mm likely in areas. Hopefully there will be storms with it too, to make it even more fun. Like always though, I will not believe it until I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather