Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Invercargill has now recorded - to 0800 today - 171.9mm of rain on 25 days (20 recording falls exceeding 1mm+) making this the second wettest October since records began at the current airport site 73 years ago and 122.7 hours ending yesterday (29th). I can't really give an opinion re the latter given there is two more days to go and some years have recorded quite similar totals.

Even though Sydney city has recorded around 30mm, my area - and several nearby sites - have recorded between 50 - 60mm so not an entirely dry month overall .

As for the daily maximum temperature running above average by an degree (C), this can certainly be attributed to the fact that some days recorded daily maximums ranging from 5C to 13C above normal on just 6 days with the majority being well below to normal and regarding minimums - generally much cooler than usual which would explain why I've had to hold onto wearing my winter woolies a bit longer than usual.
I'll take Wellington anytime, over those lousy Invercargill statistics - and as at the 25th its Aero EWS was 15.3 hours behind the manual reading. Still not likely however that even that instrument's value will undercut the 112 hours. Wellington will top the 200 comfortably with continuous sunshine today putting it a whisker under that level and a reasonable amount of sun expected tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
After a maximum of 34.5C on Friday, and 30C yesterday, today has only reached 17.2C so far with overcast skies. If it fails to get above 20C today, then it will be the 3rd sub-20 maximum this October - normally there isn't any. Despite this, the average maximum so far this month is above normal.

Rainfall for October is at 38.4mm, about 20mm below average. It should end up as the fourth month in a row with below average rainfall.
Likewise. The last time we had - for Bondi/Rose Bay that is - decent rain was during the first half of July and since then, coincidentally , upon my return from northern Europe has been *horribly* dry with August and September bombing out terribly too. However this month has fared much better with more "frequent" showers occurring on the coastal scale! The CBD hasn't done too well as I can testify on numerous occasions

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 10-30-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Certainly makes it easier to get some good sleep It usually cools down a fair bit after a hot day but usually it's not quite that marked.

Much cooler today, only 22C at midday and it's been mostly cloudy all day. Some showers and thunderstorms are forecast from Wednesday to Sunday. The thunder and lightning was nice yesterday heard on the news that there were over 200 strikes in Perth in about an hour, it did rain a little but not enough to even register in the official gauge-presumably the very dry air caused a lot of the rain to evaporate before it hit the ground. To end of a rather strange 24 hours of weather we had a rather thick fog overnight and this morning, and my car was covered in a thin layer of drizzle/condensation.
Looking like a yummy - currently that is - forecast for you Perth folks where precipitation is concerned: Perth Forecast

Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,915,759 times
Map showing the totals precipitation acumulated yesterday in BA

(in mm)

Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Incredible picture of cars piled up for yesterdays storm in BA, in Clarin front page today!:

Attached Thumbnails
Spring Thread 2012- (Sept-Nov) - Southern Hemisphere-6875.jpg  

Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,238 times
Very foggy this morning, still hasn't cleared -- can't see anything on the surf webcams! Going for a high of 25 C but only 16 C at 11 AM. Still, fog usually means a hot day ahead in these parts, so we will see.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM

284 posts, read 282,785 times
A beautiful day in Melbourne yesterday, a pleasant 32C and sunny. I enjoyed swimming in the chilly beach waters. Another hot one today with a forecast of 34C with a cool change later this evening.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,083 times
Today probably was the hottest one I ever lived here in São Paulo.

We got the fourth higgest temperature ever set since we started running data like that back in 1943. It went up to 36,1ºC and tomorrow may be even hotter. Right now, 9:56pm it's still around 30C over much of the city.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,238 times
Forecast high: 25 C
Actual high: 19 C

Why must we fail at every attempt at warmth? It's so frustrating to be the sole outlier in this thread when everyone else is constantly getting 35+ C temps.

Meant to be 25 C tomorrow -- I'll believe it when I see it! Will probably be like today with temps in the low teens most of the day, briefly spiking up to an 18-19 C high before plummeting right back down again.

Despite the disappointment on the temperature front, the day was actually fantastic due to the combination of clear blue sky all day long with a diverse cloudscape suddenly appearing just before sunset. Never seen anything like it before. Can anyone identify the cloud types in this photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Thread 2012- (Sept-Nov) - Southern Hemisphere-photo0036.jpg  

Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Forecast high: 25 C
Actual high: 19 C

Why must we fail at every attempt at warmth? It's so frustrating to be the sole outlier in this thread when everyone else is constantly getting 35+ C temps.

Meant to be 25 C tomorrow -- I'll believe it when I see it! Will probably be like today with temps in the low teens most of the day, briefly spiking up to an 18-19 C high before plummeting right back down again.

Despite the disappointment on the temperature front, the day was actually fantastic due to the combination of clear blue sky all day long with a diverse cloudscape suddenly appearing just before sunset. Never seen anything like it before. Can anyone identify the cloud types in this photo?
Until Flight Simmer comes on again that is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather