Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:59 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
USA has got the best climates, i.e. California and it has the greatest variety by far. However, most of USA is significantly worse than most of Europe. I pick Europe for thay reason

Significantly worse in what way? Depends on what you like and don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
The US west coast from Santa Cruz downward along with East Bay/Vallejo/Sonoma County is fantastic, but having said that Europe is on average better due to milder winters in areas with moderate summers. To get a moderate summer apart from the California coastline you'll have to contend with Kiruna-level winters (International Falls etc).

I think that is an exaggeration. Boston has mild summers and winters quite a bit warmer than Kiruna. Boston has the same Jan mean temp as Prague.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
In the end I think that:

Northern USA > Northern Europe
Southern Europe > Southern USA

tie.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Lol, Spain alone has 13 climatic zones. El Junter will put you straight, punk.
Hell yeah! In a territory smaller than Texas (Spain) you have 13 different Köppen climates.

Spain alone is better than the entire US but that's my honest opinion so I don't want no one hating me for saying this.

San Diego has a marvelous climate, but LA for example is too extreme, a day in the summer can be 25°C and in 2 days 40°C... as even in March can get various days with 33-34°C. That's literally too much and it's not cool a climate like that.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Some perspective I think is needed on latitude and size involved.

The decent climates in Europe are the Med ones. The US has nothing like the Greek Islands or Sicily, etc. I pick those over the US any day. Others are either too cold in winter or too cool and cloudy in summer. The reason we are so warm in summer is the lower latitude compared to Europe.

I think it's a big stretch to say all of Europe is better than the entire US outside of the West Coast.

There are huge swaths of Europe with lousy too far north climates.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
I like California climates, but my favourite climate from both continents together has to be Valencia.. unfortunately SSTs on the US West coast are too cool which spoils some otherwise fantastic climates. Valencia has a great climate with warmer SSTs to boot.

Shout out to Miami, southern Florida, So Cal, parts of the deep south along the coastline (although I couldn't live in the bible belt lol) Some warm climates with lots of thunderstorms.

US has more variety, however I think I have more climates that I prefer are in the Med region.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Hell yeah! In a territory smaller than Texas (Spain) you have 13 different Köppen climates.

Spain alone is better than the entire US but that's my honest opinion so I don't want no one hating me for saying this.

San Diego has a marvelous climate, but LA for example is too extreme, a day in the summer can be 25°C and in 2 days 40°C... as even in March can get various days with 33-34°C. That's literally too much and it's not cool a climate like that.

No one should halt you for saying that, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Everyone has varying weather preferences. I find most of Europe too cool and cloudy in summer.

Spain has great climates. The US has no Malaga.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I like California climates, but my favourite climate from both continents together has to be Valencia.. unfortunately SSTs on the US West coast are too cool which spoils some otherwise fantastic climates. Valencia has a great climate with warmer SSTs to boot.

Shout out to Miami, southern Florida, So Cal, parts of the deep south along the coastline (although I couldn't live in the bible belt lol) Some warm climates with lots of thunderstorms.

US has more variety, however I think I have more climates that I prefer are in the Med region.

Don't forget the Greek Islands.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
True, even higher SSTs approaching 30C in summer sometimes in the Greek Islands.. however they are more moderate in winter, the Spanish coast seems to be capable of warmer winter temperatures

Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post

Comparing a country to a large part of a much larger continent is not a fair fight lol.

If say, we compare the US, Bahamas, and Mexico vs Europe there goes your SST argument out the water as Baja has good water temps and stunning beaches with a Med climate, and Mexico has far better beaches than the Med considering climate and SST's. Bahamas also blows away the Med in the beaches department with some of the clearest water on earth and over 2,200 miles of coastline and over 2,000 islands and cays. All mostly tropical. Mexico is a huge country btw. That is our backyard as the Med is yours.

I can be in the Bahamas probably in less time than you can get to the Med and I'm pretty far north in the US. Which you think is better in January, Nice or Nassau lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather