Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

At least some parts of Chicagoland are seeing snow in the form of lake effect. Up to 17 inches in localized areas on the southwest portions of Lake Michigan

But wee need a wide spread snow cover. This forecast model might not put enough down in the right place to get as cold as the Euro suggests

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 PM

850 mb Korean Met A winter forecast..... December upper right, Jan lower right, Feb upper left, total lower left.

Negative WPO/EPO couplet ruling the roost and mean troughs will come east from out of the west, with arctic air

Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
Alex where else have you lived besides Florida???
I've lived in Venezuela, in the North Georgia mountains (snowed occasionally there, but the climate was still way too warm for me) and I lived in the Chicago suburbs with my aunt for a while back in 2008 that was during the summer.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,214,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I've lived in Venezuela, in the North Georgia mountains (snowed occasionally there, but the climate was still way too warm for me) and I lived in the Chicago suburbs with my aunt for a while back in 2008 that was during the summer.
Well Chicago would have almost prepared you for my winter (had you gone through a cold winter there).

I've lived here my whole life and I'm NOT looking forward to that forecast (if it verifies). That kind of cold is beyond MEAN and NASTY and, if it does come, it is the cold that makes me dread every upcoming winter here!!! And I am used to cold. I just can't imagine how someone who is currently living in a tropical greenhouse would survive coming to a flash frozen area. The last cold front had the inside of the doors at my workplace covered with frost (and we weren't anywhere near as cold as the new forecast is predicting).

You'd look a lot like the Texans that spent a couple of winters here .... they stuck out like sore thumbs since they kept their buttoned up winter coats on inside (I kept telling them they could freeze to death once they headed back outside).

Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
^^ I definitely wouldn't mind giving it a try, honestly I've experienced -30 F weather before in Upstate NY (During January 2004, I was 11 years old) and I kind of liked it to be honest, way more than 95 F with high humidity. But I've always had a fascination for cold weather, most of the time when I was really young my family loved to go somewhere with snow during winter break (usually mid-December through early January) and I would always be the first one wanting to go outside and experience the weather. I've shoveled snow before, and I liked it. But as a guy who loves cold weather and working out, I guess it kind of makes sense.

I just want to live somewhere up north for at least one winter, if I realize that I am in fact deep down a cold hater fine, but I don't want to realize it without trying it at least.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:17 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,214,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^^ I definitely wouldn't mind giving it a try, honestly I've experienced -30 F weather before in Upstate NY (During January 2004, I was 11 years old) and I kind of liked it to be honest, way more than 95 F with high humidity. But I've always had a fascination for cold weather, most of the time when I was really young my family loved to go somewhere with snow during winter break (usually mid-December through early January) and I would always be the first one wanting to go outside and experience the weather. I've shoveled snow before, and I liked it. But as a guy who loves cold weather and working out, I guess it kind of makes sense.

I just want to live somewhere up north for at least one winter, if I realize that I am in fact deep down a cold hater fine, but I don't want to realize it without trying it at least.
Well then we'd be happy to have you...I just tend to wonder about the sanity of those that make the trip here during the nasty Old Man's reign. Now those that live here have had a chance to adjust to the changes but for someone to come straight from hot and humid to here, without that hardening off period...

Now we certainly have a number of folks from Africa, the Phillipines, Australia and other warm climes here and they are quite happy but it does take an adjustment (and some certainly do high tail it elsewhere ).

Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

234 posts, read 214,721 times
Down to 6F last night, but luckily no wind came with it so it wasn't too bad. Back down to about 12F or so tonight then warming back up to the 20's-30's during the day for quite a few days. No major snow to speak of for a while now. Yesterday nice and sunny and then Turkey Day was bleck and nasty.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 PM

Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Finally getting around to looking ahead being the holidays and storm slowed me down a bit...

Wow!

These outbreaks keep getting deeper and colder.

Euro00z "Max" Temps for next Sat. afternoon. 20s in TX, 20s below 0 in northern Plains?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
This was the 7am temps (not real feel) and departure from normal. Single digits in Iowa.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather