Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Anyways, as technology advances, we will eventually have gene splicing, to the point that all the tropical palms can be spliced with "cold hardy" genes, that will allow them to survive any brief cold periods that may come to the South. Either that, or giant mechas/robots that can terraform, and create mountains where there weren't any before.
Why would you do that though? The point of palm trees is to have them in tropical locations, they'd just look funny in continental climates. Gene splicing should be limited to medical studies anyway, where it's more important.

As for the terraforming, lololol.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 AM

78 posts, read 78,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Really? So I can expect to see loads of them in a place like Tybee Island, GA and Savannah? Interesting since I didn't see a single one there or on the Gulf Coast. In fact, 2014 pretty much wiped out every Queen palm (hardier than reclinata) in Gulf Shores, AL. Go figure.
2014 was a fluke. Those palms can be planted, and will do well, ordinarily.

Quote:
Ooooh I can't wait for those 14,000 ft mountains to be built across the Canadian border. Do you even take yourself seriously? You talk non-sense.
No, but advancements are being made in gene splicing technology, which will allow integration of cold hardiness into the desired tropical plants.

Quote:
Oh and yes those wonderful Summer's beef them up so much they would never let them look like this after winter 2014 when Mobile, AL went to 14F now would they? Yikes poor things thinking they were in a subtropical paradise.
2014 was a fluke, and even then, such damage did not happen in most areas of the coastal South. The palms looked fine in New Orleans and Houston, even with ice storms in their metros, because the temps were not cold enough.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't feed the troll, matter of time before he/she is banned again...
Frankly, Tom77falcons is more worthy of a ban than I ever was.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Why would you do that though? The point of palm trees is to have them in tropical locations, they'd just look funny in continental climates. Gene splicing should be limited to medical studies anyway, where it's more important.
The applications of gene splicing are great for medical ventures, as well as for overall biological attempts. Cold-hardy genes injected into tropical plants allow for the survival of brief cold snaps.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Frankly, Tom77falcons is more worthy of a ban than I ever was.

Thanks a lot lol.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:47 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
The applications of gene splicing are great for medical ventures, as well as for overall biological attempts. Cold-hardy genes injected into tropical plants allow for the survival of brief cold snaps.
That's just stupid, I would despise palm trees like that. Takes all the exoticness away from them. Under your logic we will grow palms in barrow soon enough. I would hate that.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:47 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:

2014 was a fluke, and even then, such damage did not happen in most areas of the coastal South. The palms looked fine in New Orleans and Houston, even with ice storms in their metros, because the temps were not cold enough.

NOLA and Houston are warmer than the Upper Gulf Coast.

Those palms have since come back since I have photos of them. But the point is the warm summers do not eliminate the severe damage that comes from a winter that was not as cold as the 1980's.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
I have some small palm trees here,but I dont know what species they are,they look great :

Old 09-02-2016, 11:35 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I have some small palm trees here,but I dont know what species they are,they look great :

I think the second one is royal palm which is native to South Florida and at one point was native all the way up to Orlando.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I think the second one is royal palm which is native to South Florida and at one point was native all the way up to Orlando.
Roystonia, we have some here, and they are quite prevalent in SoCal. They are generally hardy to 30°F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather