Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How often does snow above about 39 F even happen?

And yes, the set up for a cold, snowy day in a place like Birmingham, AL would be one of both cold and moisture. In a climate like Winnipeg this wouldn't apply.
Not to support 'Cold epoch troll', but I saw flurries with an outdoor temp of 47°F back in June crossing the continental divide on I-70 in Colorado at 11,200 feet. It was 10:30am, flurrying and 47° in June I repeat

Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Sabal palms and good summer weather go hand in hand.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 PM

78 posts, read 78,460 times
Quote:
How often does snow above about 39 F even happen?

And yes, the set up for a cold, snowy day in a place like Birmingham, AL would be one of both cold and moisture. In a climate like Winnipeg this wouldn't apply.
Yes, but if it then turns out that Birmingham, AL had snow, while Tupelo, MS remained dry, it wouldn't necessarily mean that Tupelo, MS was warmer. They may still have gotten as cold (or even colder), but the dynamic of the system just didn't bring them the moisture; the storm would have been centered closer to Birmingham than to Tupelo.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Yeah, only when people say rubbish like NYC winters not being noticeably cooler than ours. In that case, the days are colder as well, just the nights are even more so.

I guess I should just leave the forum then, if you're going to moan every time I ever post anything involving palm trees, or anything really? Seems like everyone just wants to bait me and then not let me explain myself.

**** off.

I love your palm pics. Keep em coming.

It is difficult to use mean temps in the eastern US in winter anyway, since temps go up and down regularly by 10F or more.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
London has the best climate in the world of anywhere above 49-50N. Portsmouth would be 2nd.

Poor Canada. They got ripped off.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:29 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Yeah, only when people say rubbish like NYC winters not being noticeably cooler than ours. In that case, the days are colder as well, just the nights are even more so.

I guess I should just leave the forum then, if you're going to moan every time I ever post anything involving palm trees, or anything really? Seems like everyone just wants to bait me and then not let me explain myself.

**** off.
NYC is much sunnier in the winter which is a huge advantage. Especially when its like 5 or 10 degrees sun is a massive factor in how it feels. A better comparison for London would be Rochester or Syracuse which are even colder than NYC and also have the nasty grayness of London winters. London winters are a million times better than the nightmarish winters of Rochester or Buffalo

Best climate north of 49° is easily Osoyoos in Canada. North of 50° its a tie between Kamloops and somewhere on the southern British coast. North of 51-52° tho, yupp, its just British climates

Old 09-04-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
It'll be higher of course if we record sun like they do in the US.

Sadly, there is no sun hours kept anymore in the US. Only solar radiation at 126 sites around a very large country.

Quote:
Well I hate anything below 6c and will wear gloves if it is that cold during the day. Some of our extrenely cold winters of 5-8 years ago had average highs of 4-6c, and I would describe those as bitterly cold. London doesn't have mild winters, it has cool winters. Sydney has mild winters.

These winter months are cold or bitterly cold.
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de London (UK)

Now come on, you are saying that an avg high of 6C (43F) vs your avg Jan high of 7.8C was "extremely cold"? A 1.6C difference? I guess maybe due to your high stability in winter, but even then it seems quite a small diff. That would be nothing here to have an avg winter month be off the mean by 1.6C. Happens all the time.

I will note one thing you do on this forum all the time, and it is call out winters for cities in the eastern US as bitterly cold, but never mention any cities anywhere else in the world with winters just as cold or colder. I usually have to force you to describe places in Eastern or Central Europe as having the same very cold winters. You frequently use NYC as a punching bag lol.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Really? I must've missed that post

It's as if he expects high temperatures to suddenly drop to below 20C when 1st September hits.. besides he's had some decent cold winters lately, I really don't think Conneticut summers are that oppressive at all, I'm not sure on his summer averages, but nei's July averages 15C lows or something so they can't be far off that

Most Americans would consider his summer averages quite tame. Heck, most consider from Philly north to have tame summers, but coastal New England is really quite mild in summer. July mean for Bridgeport, CT is virtually the same as Minneapolis, MN.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge...cticut#Climate

This is the closest city to him, which is on the coast so it has warmer lows. Cambium likely has an average low of like 17 C in July or in that ballpark.

He claims that 90 F feels hotter in CT than in FL, because of the lack of breeze and clay soil over there, completely ignoring that A.) The "breeze" here stops about three miles inland. So if you're even more than 5-10 minutes from the coast there is little to no breeze. B.) The sun angle here is way higher than CT, which alone will make us feel hotter. C.) Soil type has absolutely no affect on how air temperature feels.

I disagree slightly about this. DC felt so hot to me in summer though their averages are not much higher than here. DC has swamp wetland type soil that holds humidity much better and it felt oppressively humid there to me.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Shouldn't exist? Who said that? If you can plant it there go ahead. I said it doesn't look right to me. When I think of palm trees, oceanic climates don't come to mind.

Google the words palm trees... I don't see London or Seattle or any oceanic location popping up do you? LOL

^^

I see that part of the Ukraine is very heat wave prone.

There are some locations north of the Caspian Sea in Russia that get warm summers highs for their latitude and proper winters.

I agree with Joe in NZ. I have come to believe, thanks to this forum for teaching me, that oceanic climates like London and in NZ are closer to subtropical than cold winter continental climates like my own despite our warm summers. The true tropical warmth here lasts for like 2 to 3 months at most, and then colder from there on. And so cold in winter palms don't stand a chance. Tropical climates are stable so check one for oceanic on that. Tropical climates are green in winter and not dead as doornail looking, so check 2 for oceanic climates. Our warm summers are a distant memory when winter comes, and it doesn't look one iota tropical in winter around here. London is so green in winter that it makes places in the inland South US look dead (which isn't really that difficult).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather