Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:10 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
From what I've gathered, the southeast has one of the most diverse forest mix of trees in the world. I think your measurement of broadleaf evergreens being subtropical is just not applicable to the southeast because conifers became the tree that started to dominate and migrate northward after the last ice age. Not broadleaf evergreens. Using broadleaf evergreens is very southeast asia-centric. These two areas are on two different continents. One is dominated by broadleaf evergreens and the other conifers.

How about we apply the reverse and ask why southeast Asia lacks the amount of pine forests in its subtropical areas and is so heavily dominated by evergreen forests in some areas? I think you personally value broadleaf evergreens more than pines, which is why you used a biased approach into measuring subtropical climates solely by broeadleaf evergreens. If you hold that stance, then its just as easy for me to feel the same about conifers. The lack of diversity and conifers in southeast Asian forests just doesn't designate it as being "more" subtropical than the southeast.

Plus, as I've seen discussed previously and can attest to with numerous specimens in my yard, I have plenty of broad leaf evergreen plants from southeast Asia. Maybe in 100 years, they will become a naturally occurring population in the wild along with the conifers in our area. Adding to the diversity. You want to know why? Because they grow here with no problem! There is actually a population to distribute and spread its population.

It's not that the southeast doesn't have plentiful broadleaf evergreens in its forests because it can't grow them; The southeast doesn't have plentiful broadleaf evergreens because they just don't have them. There's no adjoining area that allows the spread of such a category of plants.
That's already happening I'll post the list of southeastern us invasives.when I get home.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
From what I've gathered, the southeast has one of the most diverse forest mix of trees in the world. I think your measurement of broadleaf evergreens being subtropical is just not applicable to the southeast because conifers became the tree that started to dominate and migrate northward after the last ice age. Not broadleaf evergreens. Using broadleaf evergreens is very southeast asia-centric. These two areas are on two different continents. One is dominated by broadleaf evergreens and the other conifers.

How about we apply the reverse and ask why southeast Asia lacks the amount of pine forests in its subtropical areas and is so heavily dominated by evergreen forests in some areas? I think you personally value broadleaf evergreens more than pines, which is why you used a biased approach into measuring subtropical climates solely by broeadleaf evergreens. If you hold that stance, then its just as easy for me to feel the same about conifers. The lack of diversity and conifers in southeast Asian forests just doesn't designate it as being "more" subtropical than the southeast.

Plus, as I've seen discussed previously and can attest to with numerous specimens in my yard, I have plenty of broad leaf evergreen plants from southeast Asia. Maybe in 100 years, they will become a naturally occurring population in the wild along with the conifers in our area. Adding to the diversity. You want to know why? Because they grow here with no problem! There is actually a population to distribute and spread its population.

It's not that the southeast doesn't have plentiful broadleaf evergreens in its forests because it can't grow them; The southeast doesn't have plentiful broadleaf evergreens because they just don't have them. There's no adjoining area that allows the spread of such a category of plants.

Why didn't broadleaf evergreens migrate up from Florida and dominate after the last ice age? Was Florida even too cold for broadleafs during the last ice age? If so, that would tie into my belief that North America gets colder than Asia on the extremes. Where did the Pines that dominate southern forests come from, the north or south?

I am biased. I like conifers, but they don't look subtropical imo compared to the deep green and large leafs of a magnolia say. Do broadleaf evergreens dominate in cold sub-arctic climates or high up on mountain ranges lol. No, but conifers certainly do. Southern conifers are different in what way from far northern conifers? Sorry for all the questions, but it would be interesting to know. I need to take a US forestry service class lol.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
It means something since that after the ice age, or 9,000 years ago, conifers began expanding to areas of the south and southern piedmont. Why do conifers in the southeast all of a sudden start a shift north and westwards at the end of the ice age when temperatures start to warm up? And if so ever present in places of subarctic taiga, why weren't they present during the ice age in the southeast? Honestly though, I don't know the answer to the last question I pose.

You do realize your bolded part is contradictory right? First you say that after the last ice age conifers began expanding to areas of the south and southern piedmont. Then you state in the next sentence that conifers start a shift north and west at the end of the last ice age. Your second sentence implies that conifers were there during the ice age, and then moved north afterwards, while your first implies they started moving into the south after the last ice age. Which is it?

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why didn't broadleaf evergreens migrate up from Florida and dominate after the last ice age? Was Florida even too cold for broadleafs during the last ice age? If so, that would tie into my belief that North America gets colder than Asia on the extremes. Where did the Pines that dominate southern forests come from, the north or south?

I am biased. I like conifers, but they don't look subtropical imo compared to the deep green and large leafs of a magnolia say. Do broadleaf evergreens dominate in cold sub-arctic climates or high up on mountain ranges lol. No, but conifers certainly do. Southern conifers are different in what way from far northern conifers? Sorry for all the questions, but it would be interesting to know. I need to take a US forestry service class lol.
There are a lot of pines out west, for instance in the eastern part of my home state WA which has a continental climate, so I don't think pines are subtropical

Old 03-18-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You do realize your bolded part is contradictory right? First you say that after the last ice age conifers began expanding to areas of the south and southern piedmont. Then you state in the next sentence that conifers start a shift north and west at the end of the last ice age. Your second sentence implies that conifers were there during the ice age, and then moved north afterwards, while your first implies they started moving into the south after the last ice age. Which is it?
If lob lollies are so unsubtropical to you why don't they grow in Philly and the ne.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
If lob lollies are so unsubtropical to you why don't they grow in Philly and the ne.
That might have to do with the acidic sandy soils in the south, idk what the soil is like in the NE but I imagine that it's different.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That might have to do with the acidic sandy soils in the south, idk what the soil is like in the NE but I imagine that it's different.
Loblollies aren't too hardy up north just saying. The ice storms, snow storms combined with single digit temps does not do good to them. They are hardy generally to about -10. Longleaf are even less hardy so no chance of them up there. Soil is not the big limiting factor compared to the cold. Loblollies and Longleaf are both subtropical pines.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:02 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Loblollies and Longleaf aren't all that exotic that they can't grow here, even Slash Pines, a true tropical/subtropical species, could grow here in zone 7. And the Shortleaf is a native species. All four species are categorized as Southern Yellow Pines.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Loblollies and Longleaf aren't all that exotic that they can't grow here, even Slash pines (which I love, btw) could grow here in zone 7.
They don't need hot summers either. So are a tree suitable for a wide range of climates.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Talking About Pines.. in the Us West Coast,i have seen photos of Pines living well in Milders Parts of Central/Northern California.. so to me,the climate dont need to be all that cold to a place have pines in the main vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather