Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:07 PM

40 posts, read 45,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Palmettos grow quite fast down there. Why didn't they already take over thousands of years ago? Why now?
Because they hadn't reached the particular stretch of forest yet. The thing with Sabals is that they are very slow growing.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:16 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatrix View Post
I've already shown you a link where it is shown that there is indeed a sizable area of the South, including in inland areas, where the climax forest is that of evergreen forest. Logic and reasoning also kick in; decidious trees are inefficient for the southern climate, and evergreens, not needing to waste energy like deciduous trees do, will spread, and take over, eventually. The trees are spreading, but the process is slow, since, first, growing tree seedlings have to compete with other vegetation, so as not to be sun deprived, and, also, many evergreen trees (especially the live oak), take a life-time to reach stately maturity.

This pic below in Louisiana depicts what I am talking about; the decidious forest is quickly getting subtropical, with loads of thick subtropicals, including palmetto, crowding the forest. Soon, the palmettos will grow tall, and the forest, essentially, becomes a subtropical palm forest:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L8N5T-ySyF...canoeing+2.JPG
Those Sabal minor will never get tall and the forest is not shifting into an evergreen broadleaf forest at an alarming rate, if it all. Though imo, lack of broadleaf evergreens does not make a climate any less subtropical. It is what it is.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM

40 posts, read 45,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Those Sabal minor will never get tall and the forest is not shifting into an evergreen broadleaf forest at an alarming rate, if it all. Though imo, lack of broadleaf evergreens does not make a climate any less subtropical. It is what it is.
The "sabal minor" in Louisiana are of a trunking form, and actually do form robust, above-ground trunks, when in a matured state. They are coined as "Sabal Louisiana."

The deciduous forests in the South are seeing more and more subtropical foliage taking hold, from the evergreen lianas taking over the trees, to the palmettos and small evergreen trees (yaupons, wax myrtles, etc) growing and growing.

This drive in Northern Florida says it all; lots of tall palmettos and subtropical understory abound, enough to make a basic deciduous forest look like an exotic subtropical palm forest:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9925...7i13312!8i6656

Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatrix View Post
You thought wrong.

In the SE US, broadleaf evergreen trees from various parts of the world have ALREADY naturalized in many parts of the region (camphor laurel, brazillian pepper, black mangrove, etc). Get a clue.

All three palm species are hardy to zone 8 in the wild. Of course, there are many subspecies of each palm that are more tender/hardier than the originals.

These people just don't know about the Southeast. I don't blame them, though, little information is present about the region regarding vegetation.

The 'dying' out is more of a gradual process; however, the subtropical evergreen growth is quite rapid in many areas, particularly along the Gulf/South Atlantic.
When I said SE, I was referring more of the inland areas such as Atlanta, rather then the areas that are within 50-100 miles of the coast. And I still don't think western WA will be dominated by broadleaf evergreens, it's just that I think it has a greater chance than a place like Atlanta. However the more coastal regions I think definitely will become more evergreen especially with global warming. But then again that is only my opinion. And a place doesn't have to be subtropical to have a lot of evergreens correct me if I'm wrong but Tasmania and New Zealand have a lot of evergreens and they aren't exactly subtropical but more of a mild temperate such as the Pacific coast of CA, OR and WA

Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
When I said SE, I was referring more of the inland areas such as Atlanta, rather then the areas that are within 50-100 miles of the coast. And I still don't think western WA will be dominated by broadleaf evergreens, it's just that I think it has a greater chance than a place like Atlanta. However the more coastal regions I think definitely will become more evergreen especially with global warming. But then again that is only my opinion. And a place doesn't have to be subtropical to have a lot of evergreens correct me if I'm wrong but Tasmania and New Zealand have a lot of evergreens and they aren't exactly subtropical but more of a mild temperate such as the Pacific coast of CA, OR and WA
All very well talking about evergreen trees, but what about other indicators? Some of the native evergreens here have are winter flowering and there are enough insects around to ensure pollination. Insect noise in a constant during winter, on all but the coldest days. There are a huge range of fruiting trees that can provide fruit in all seasons, everything from citrus to passionfruit, to macadamia and avocado- where are you going to get that in Washington or Oregon?

You might consider that as a result of "mild temperate-ness" , but I say it's because the subtropical influence never truly leaves .... unlike somewhere like Atlanta, or much of the South.

Other factors include the origin of weather systems. Decaying cyclones from the Pacific can be expected here until early winter, and low pressure from tropical waters can send warm humid air masses at any time of the winter. High pressure also channels warm air masses during winter. Even cold fronts bring warm air from the north Tasman Sea, as part of their cycle.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
I'm done with this. Me and Smith and asagi are people who live In the south. We have all told you guys what it's like yet you refuse to believe. That is ignorance. Who is more knowledgeable about the south? Someone who lives there or someone who doesnt?

Old 03-19-2016, 04:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I'm done with this. Me and Smith and asagi are people who live In the south. We have all told you guys what it's like yet you refuse to believe. That is ignorance. Who is more knowledgeable about the south? Someone who lives there or someone who doesnt?
This is what I have always said about the UK as well, yet nobody bothers to listen.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Where is the scientific proof of this? You can't just state something like that without documentation. Link after link talks about the harsh continental nature of the southern climate in winter, and hence the dominance of deciduous trees. Not one link ever mentions native broadleaf evergreens taking over deciduous forests down there. It just is not happening.
You can't expect the anthony cold epoch troll to offer up scientific proof, lol. You should know that by now. Just ignore and carry on.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
And there are many species of oak native in the south that are deciduous.
And the native ranges for most of those species include areas colder than the south, and should be discounted from the discussion in my opinion.

Quote:
Lol, Raleigh averages 3 ice days per winter. Some winters more, some less, but that is the average. How can somewhere with three days not getting above freezing have an active winter ecosystem. It doesn't.
How could it not? 3 ice days is a very insignificant amount vs 362 non ice days, and a little freeze isn't stopping the show. It's the average conditions that matter most, much of NC is more than mild enough to maintain an active ecosystem in the winter months.

Quote:
Conifers mixed in with deciduous trees do not make a landscape look active or subtropical in winter. They just don't.
This is your opinion, but I have to (strongly) disagree with you here. The more green a place has, the more lively looking it is. Hard to go through the pine barrens in the winter and say it looks dead, it looks largely the same year round.

Quote:
When you look out at a landscape that is 20% broadleaf, and 80% dead leafless trees, it just doesn't look active in winter. I've seen it.
I hope you aren't referring to that map that was posted a few pages back, which was for the percentage of BLE native species, not BLE distribution. And even still, BLE are only one kind of evergreen, and you have a host of other evergreens in the landscape.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
How can you claim to have a subtropical climate yet cannot grow edible citrus? There really aren't many humid subtropical climates over the world that can't grow citrus. Citrus is a purely subtropical plant.

The heat is there for sure in the South, but the large deviations in winter prevent it. Just look at where joe90 is and what he can grow vs NC. And he ain't even subtropical. Not all subtropical climates are equal. The worst of the bunch, imo, is the inland South for precisely this reason. Can't grow citrus, shouldn't really be subtropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather