Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:37 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Only place you can wear sweaters down here is indoors... Even when you get off the plane you first experience the blast of heat and humidity..then you get into the terminal and it feels colder than the northern winter climate you just escaped from..

My dad, now in his mid 70's, has ultra thin blood after 20+ years of never leaving this climate, just like many Carribean folks, and can't take temps much under 75 degrees anymore even though he lived the first 2/3 of his life in cold northern climates. Take him to a supermarket or restaraunt with A/C chilled temps in the mid 60's and you'd think he just arrived in the streets of Toronto in mid January..lol
Actually, I wore heavy hooded sweaters in Ft. Lauderdale several times. (after sunset) On New Year's Eve it was 68 F with a moderate breeze around midnight. I wore a hooded sweatshirt with my shorts and sandals, in case the 68 F breezes were too cool to handle.

I don't buy the thin-blood theory, at least for people who haven't lived in one climate all their lives.

Why?

I was in Ft. Lauderdale, mid-morning on a nice sunny day, talking to a dive shop owner who was originally from NJ who was telling me that he's lived there 3.5 years. When he first moved down it hit 28 F, a record low and he thought it was no big deal for his own discomfort. Now he says when it hits 45 F it's too cold for him...

Meanwhile, right after he finishes this story I had to excuse myself to go back outside in the 75 F Florida sunshine to thaw out. We were both in short sleeve shirts, though I was also in shorts and sandals. I was SO cold in his air-conditioned shop. I was doing my best to be polite and ignore his cold. I had big goosebumps on my arms and he looked fine in his jeans and t-shirt.

*So how can a Florida transplant of several years claiming to have dramatically thinner blood be able to handle dramatically higher amounts of A/C than an Ontario resident only 4 days removed from Toronto in January?
(My other family members could handle it, but they certainly did not enjoy the "bought-air".)

If he was chugging hot coffee then that might make sense.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-14-2007 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Have you watched the weather the last few days? I don't get it.

Where I live, the weather reported, mild temps and a light dusting of snow. It was 3 below zero and we got about 8 inches of snow. It's stayed cold ever sence. Right now, it's 14 degrees.

The news just announced, "Killer winter storm in the midwest. Temps will get into the teens, power is out all over the place, people are dieing."

They got about 3 inches of snow. Temps around 25 degrees.

Why is it a killer storm? Are we not seeing what's happening on the news? We had worse then that here, schools didn't even close. Everybody went to work like normal. I simply just put an extra log on the fire.

Why, in the East, it's a killer storm. But in the west, it's a light dusting. Is it because our infrastructure is more prepared? It seems like the same weather.

I expect, below zero tonight. I like when it gets real cold because then the clouds are so puckered up, they can snow.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
ElkHunter, I know exactly what you mean. It seems they minimize what happens up in our area. As someone else had said on here a few weeks ago~Its probably since we have such small populations that they don't talk about us much.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Jammie, I think it's because it's known and expected here. Not expected there so they sensationalize more.

That's ok, we'll put up with our white fields, our cold temps, and our warm fire in the fireplace. hahaha

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Best climate for humans? JAMAICA! (Yah Mon!)

90-95% of my ancestors were native to (northern) climates I can not (fully) adapt too.
LOL...I actually agree with that! I grew up in Western, PA (cold and damp in the winter...pretty nice in the summer though) and moved to Miami. Sure Miami is warm year round but for many months out of the year, the humidity is stifling (also a big inconvenience to your hair, clothing {sweat stains}, and glasses {if you wear them...constant fogging up from leaving A/C and going into the heat}). When I visit my family in Jamaica...it's perfect. Because of the altitudes and maybe because Jamaica is an island...you get a refreshing breeze and air movement that you don't often get in South Florida. It's actually a joy to be outside (not really so in Miami...unless you're on the beach practically naked).

Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
In Melbourne where it's cold and damp in the winter and and dry with wild temp fluctuations in summer, I am often blowing my nose, sneezing, wheezing etc. I went away for a 10 day vacation to a seaside town called Port Stephens (about 200km north of Sydney) last January and immediately my symtoms disappeared! I don't know if it was the consistant 68F nights and 80F days or the high humidity, but I've never felt better! I think on the NSW coast between Newcastle and Coffs Harbour are the best climate.

On return to Melbourne my symptoms returned. And found myself under depressing high 60's cloudcover - in mid January

Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
The Köppen climate classification of the world is the most widely used system.

Read more at World Climates (broken link) and World Climate Map
Here is the Koppen climate map for just the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Best climate for humans?-us-climate-zones-map.png  

Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM

95 posts, read 563,944 times
South Florida Baby!! its always warm...the guy who visited Fort Lauderdale said it was 68 degrees on the night of New Years Eve..come on whats better then a near 70 degree temp in the middle of winter?

Last edited by trackstar08; 12-24-2007 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
^^ frankly I'd kill to have that in winter

Old 12-25-2007, 10:39 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
South Florida Baby!! its always warm...the guy who visited Fort Lauderdale said it was 68 degrees on the night of New Years Eve..come on whats better then a near 70 degree temp in the middle of winter?
I know it was excellent.

On New Year's Eve at midnight, if I wanted to, I could have worn a snowsuit and if I was extremely carefull to move slowly, I could stay totally sweat free. So basically I could wear any item clothing or "ensemble" imagineable...

But at the same time I could probably handle wearing just a bathing suit and t-shirt, provided I either stayed active, (I'd freeze if I stayed totally still wearing that for several minutes) or simply sipped hot-tea, hot chocolate or hot-coffee.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-25-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather