Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 PM

95 posts, read 563,915 times

Advertisements

Yeah I second that, South Florida is ridicules compared to Southern Cal. Miami starts seeing 90 degrees temperatures in mid-march and they last until late October. Then the winters still have day time highs in 70's and 80's with lows in the low to mid- 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
YOU must live a few years in South Florida. LA ain't even in the same league. It was 85 and humid today in December with lows dropping to 70. We keep the A/C on 24/7 at least 10 months a year now. For half the year the temp doesn't even drop below the high 70's at night. Your June weather is cooler in LA than it is in South Florida in December....lol
South Florida may be brutal for some folks,
but for folks like me who find Jamaican/Caribbean weather perfect,
I highly doubt that the South Florida climate would be too hot. (or too humid)

And for the record, almost everyone I've met from the Caribbean who's moved here did not find the Caribbean too hot, "summer too long" or enjoy the Canadian climate with it's abundance of cool-to-cold weather. They move here for economic or social reasons mostly and almost all of them tend to be tolerant of (but never met someone greatfull for) Toronto's sharply-defined four-season climate.

***I know about the A/C in south Florida!

I was there in January and 90% of the time it was on, it was nice outside already, say only low-mid 70's and velvety soft 70% humidity, a fan if anything was all that was needed to stay cool enough to be dry, yet many locals in restaurtants and shops we visited bumped it down to a chilly mid-low 60's F with stale-feeling, artificial, super-dry air. It's like they were trying to freeze-dry themselves.

There were quite a few times where I was dressed appropriately for the South Florida January weather; shorts and t-shirt on a fair day, say high 70's F, but could not handle being inside some businesses for 10-15 minutes without some of my skin turning purple, and my arms covered in hard, hurting goosebumps... () So I'd excuse myself (was shopping with family members) and go back out into the Florida sun for 5 minutes to "thaw-out" () and brace myself for another 10 minutes indoors.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, I don't know. It is funny how some of the members here love the cold and hate the heat. Then there are those of us who are the total opposite. I've often been confused by it cause we all have the same body temp so we should all like the same outside temps.
People can acclimate to different temps very quickly.

Ex: Remember the book Alive, about the survivors of the plane crash in the Andes mtns? After spending several months sleeping in acft wreckage in a cold mtn climate, the survivors were rescued and taken to a hostel. When they checked on the survivors the next morning, many were sleeping on the hard floors with wide open windows. It was early spring and still very cold at night. But this was what they were used to. They had grown to be uncomfortable sleeping in a warm room, on a soft bed. It was weeks before they were able to re-acclimate to "normal" human temps.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Sure humans have adapted to different climates. The example you give is certainly interesting. It's an extreme circumstance where they had to adapt to a change in the environment. I'm asking for the best as in ideal climate for humans under normal conditions. Read the quote below.

"The best climate I ever encountered was in the Napa Valley in northern California, where 15 years ago I spent most of a year researching wine.

I can't find my notes from the time – the book never got published – but I intended to do a chapter on the Napa Valley climate after reading about a medical doctor from Chicago who searched the world for the best climate for humans.

It became an obsession. The doctor travelled the world, living in France, Spain, Italy, South Africa, Chile and Australia until he reached southern California and edged up to San Francisco until he reached the Napa Valley and settled there for life.

Excellent wine grapes can't be grown in southern California, or the Sahara, or any place oppressively hot. Great wine grapes need a temperate climate, with cool nights and warm days so they mature slowly. The doctor's great epiphany was that the best climate for wine grapes is also the best climate for humans."
CBC News - Viewpoint: Martin O'Malley

(http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_omalley/20050128.html - broken link)I wish he would have given the name of the Chicago medical doctor searching the world for the best climate for humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
People can acclimate to different temps very quickly.

Ex: Remember the book Alive, about the survivors of the plane crash in the Andes mtns? After spending several months sleeping in acft wreckage in a cold mtn climate, the survivors were rescued and taken to a hostel. When they checked on the survivors the next morning, many were sleeping on the hard floors with wide open windows. It was early spring and still very cold at night. But this was what they were used to. They had grown to be uncomfortable sleeping in a warm room, on a soft bed. It was weeks before they were able to re-acclimate to "normal" human temps.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Very interesting!!! I personally seem to be able to adjust to heat quickly, but I freeze all winter long.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Very interesting!!! I personally seem to be able to adjust to heat quickly, but I freeze all winter long.
The winds in the Great Plains during winter are brutal. I will agree with that. I prefer the climate that most of New England has. They have cold winter temps but the wind is often calm at night in the river valley and mountain valley areas where the majority of the population lives.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
Yeah I second that, South Florida is ridicules compared to Southern Cal. Miami starts seeing 90 degrees temperatures in mid-march and they last until late October. Then the winters still have day time highs in 70's and 80's with lows in the low to mid- 60's.
You can be in LA in June and need a heavy sweater as the sun sets. Down here in South Fla you might wear a heavy sweater once or twice all winter..lol

Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
***I know about the A/C in south Florida!

I was there in January and 90% of the time it was on, it was nice outside already, say only low-mid 70's and velvety soft 70% humidity, a fan if anything was all that was needed to stay cool enough to be dry, yet many locals in restaurtants and shops we visited bumped it down to a chilly mid-low 60's F with stale-feeling, artificial, super-dry air. It's like they were trying to freeze-dry themselves.

There were quite a few times where I was dressed appropriately for the South Florida January weather; shorts and t-shirt on a fair day, say high 70's F, but could not handle being inside some businesses for 10-15 minutes without some of my skin turning purple, and my arms covered in hard, hurting goosebumps... () So I'd excuse myself (was shopping with family members) and go back out into the Florida sun for 5 minutes to "thaw-out" () and brace myself for another 10 minutes indoors.
Only place you can wear sweaters down here is indoors... Even when you get off the plane you first experience the blast of heat and humidity..then you get into the terminal and it feels colder than the northern winter climate you just escaped from..

My dad, now in his mid 70's, has ultra thin blood after 20+ years of never leaving this climate, just like many Carribean folks, and can't take temps much under 75 degrees anymore even though he lived the first 2/3 of his life in cold northern climates. Take him to a supermarket or restaraunt with A/C chilled temps in the mid 60's and you'd think he just arrived in the streets of Toronto in mid January..lol

Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
With modern air conditioning and heating systems along with all the various types of clothes one can wear, swimming pools in summer time, etc... Anyone can live anywhere. Yet people still find reasons to complain.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
With modern air conditioning and heating systems along with all the various types of clothes one can wear, swimming pools in summer time, etc... Anyone can live anywhere. Yet people still find reasons to complain.
Part of that is true. The only problem is that many of us can't stay inside by the AC or the furnace all the time. There's snow to shovel and ice to chip and we have to start our cars and de-ice them to go to work and when we come back home, etc. But you're right~we do have it much easier then the generations before us have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather