Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not rare to start a fire here for heat in May... Working from home today and it's chilly inside. Struggling past low 50s outside so I just started the fire.

Leaves on trees and green grass. Always funny to go outside and smell firewood and fresh cut grass at same time.
Its 9c and its 4pm.

Big woop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Current radar and temps on right...snow reports on left from Wyoming and Nebraska. Looks like some heavy wet snow fell in spots. 6:1 ratio is heavy wet snow, 2:1 might as well be rain. lol Wow.

Normal 10:1 ratio in Buford WY probably higher up.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Winter Storm warning in Nebraska.

856 AM MDT THU MAY 8 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTH PLATTE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3
PM MDT THIS AFTERNOON. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

TIMING...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES WILL CONTINUE INTO THIS AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES.

* WIND...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH THROUGH TODAY.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
Not rare to start a fire here for heat in May... Working from home today and it's chilly inside. Struggling past low 50s outside so I just started the fire.

Leaves on trees and green grass. Always funny to go outside and smell firewood and fresh cut grass at same time.
Looks like you will be getting some 70s and 80s this weekend and early next week.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Looks like you will be getting some 70s and 80s this weekend and early next week.
Yup! And muggy to boot! I think I subconsciously went into a snow mood after seeing that. LOL! I wont mind...should feel nice for a change. Transition is always fun to see the hot and cold everywhere.

Still 52°F here now 1pm. Latitude 41.10 . Should be low 60s right now so we're about 10 below normal for the hour. Cloudy, overcast, drizzle all day. 0.40" of rain so far.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Kind of amazing how some places can have a high of 50°F on thursday and then "on the weekend" it will be "80°F" as somebody pointed out. Really, you're buttered living in a climate like that, knowing it's never long until you get the weather you want, it's really good to live in a place where the weather does something, and changes, so you won't have to put up with CRAP for ever and ever amen. Like the British Isles and its drizzle and wind soaked, cloud cloaked constant tupperware gloom.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
Yup! And muggy to boot! I think I subconsciously went into a snow mood after seeing that. LOL! I wont mind...should feel nice for a change. Transition is always fun to see the hot and cold everywhere.

Still 52°F here now 1pm. Latitude 41.10 . Should be low 60s right now so we're about 10 below normal for the hour. Cloudy, overcast, drizzle all day. 0.40" of rain so far.
Will make for some great golf weather unless it rains.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not really, gives nice variety. Wake up to a cool-ish 58, warms up fast, 86 and sunny in mid afternoon. Can do a nice refreshingwalk or early morning bike ride, and then get some heat later. House stays cool with windows and fan blowing in so you can nice fresh air while you sleep. Great New England summer day.

Low of 74 is steamy, once in a while is nice but gets annoying and would waste the summer, which isn't that long as it is. Though a low of 64F isn't that bad, Adi is exaggerating.
I prefer higher diurnal ranges in winter/early spring. Wake up to a nippy 26F, warming up to a pleasant 64 F by early afternoon, and totally calm. Then temperature dropping rapidly once the sun goes behind the hills - about 3.00 pm here in winter. The perfect winter day.

I like low diurnal range in summer, but unfortunately don't get it often.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:

Great picture. Fires are my favourite thing about winter.

I don't think I've ever had the fire going in November, even with temps similar to yours at present. The sun just provides too much heating for the house to get cold at that time of the year.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM

592 posts, read 461,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Kind of amazing how some places can have a high of 50°F on thursday and then "on the weekend" it will be "80°F" as somebody pointed out. Really, you're buttered living in a climate like that, knowing it's never long until you get the weather you want, it's really good to live in a place where the weather does something, and changes, so you won't have to put up with CRAP for ever and ever amen. Like the British Isles and its drizzle and wind soaked, cloud cloaked constant tupperware gloom.
Eh, our climate has its pluses and minuses; one of the biggest minuses is that just as you start to acclimate yourself to one extreme in weather (like the stifling summer humidity by August/September), the other extreme is right on its heels a matter of weeks later (killing frost and mornings in the 20s by late October). Then of course, the biting cold winds and highs in the teens by January Really, I always thought you guys had it made over in the UK, with your highs in the mid to upper 40s, mild showers and rarely dropping much below freezing at night even in January. That'd be my ideal winter I mean, you guys get to slowly acclimatize yourselves to changes in weather whereas we do not; those 86F days with blazing sunshine immediately after pleasantly cool days in the 50s and low 60s feel like hell haha especially if you like to exercise outdoors

Old 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Eh, our climate has its pluses and minuses; one of the biggest minuses is that just as you start to acclimate yourself to one extreme in weather (like the stifling summer humidity by August/September), the other extreme is right on its heels a matter of weeks later (killing frost and mornings in the 20s by late October). Then of course, the biting cold winds and highs in the teens by January Really, I always thought you guys had it made over in the UK, with your highs in the mid to upper 40s, mild showers and rarely dropping much below freezing at night even in January. That'd be my ideal winter I mean, you guys get to slowly acclimatize yourselves to changes in weather whereas we do not;
Yeah but I get bored of it really, never seems to improve, the winters may be milder than NE USA but there's no summer, really. I don't call a few days of 68°F max temperatures summer. It's so boring with the lack of extremes, no real snow, thunderstorms, nothing. Summer's just a milder version of winter, maybe a bit less cloud and rain but still slate grey boring nothingness most of the time. Ready for a change!

This year so far I am unable to tell the difference between most days in May and most days in January. That is what is so tedious about this place. You would rarely get that confusion in a four season climate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather