Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 12,984 times

Advertisements

This is a question that has been on my mind for many years, and this seems as good a place as any to ask.
My ideal weather/time of year is Spring. Autumn comes in second, but Springtime is where my heart is. Winters are so gray and cold. Summers are brutal with insects (esp. MOSQUITOS), and high sticky humidity, that i actually have to hibernate indoors all summer.

I've always wanted to move around the earth to wherever it is Springtime, but don't know where to look for that information. When it's summertime in the USA (June thru August), where on earth is experiencing their Springtime?

Are there any places in the Northern Hemisphere that doesn't have MOSQUITOS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 AM

4 posts, read 12,984 times
Where were these photos of the fountain garden taken?? absolutely gorgeous!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
For eternal Springtime, your best bet is tropical or deep subtropical highland. At tropical latitudes, temperatures don't vary as much over the course of the year, so sea level locations have eternal summer-like temperatures, high altitude locales eternal winter and areas in between enjoy constant springlike conditions.

Stuff like this:
Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the US, coastal California has moderate temperatures year-round, save for the odd heatwave (record is 110°F in Lompoc!):
Lompoc, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fountain garden shots were takes in Sceaux park, in the southern suburbs of Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
In this pic above I got fooled. The Hedge on the left was something I thought to stay green all year round then I saw it disappeared in the fall and it also looks like trees not hedges. Interesting.
Yup I believe these are chestnut trees. They're about 30 feet tall. Not a fan of manicured trees otherwise, but they work well in French- and Italian-style gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What type of spider is that? Looks aggressive. I can deal with our giant house spiders, but that is one evil looking motherfucker.
Found out that it's a segestria florentina. Apparently they eat moths, cockroaches, bees and wasps. I'd rather have one spider around instead all of these pests. It's a female and it has layed eggs in the same spot. Soon dozens of juveniles will come out and, maybe, eat their mother.

Quote:
Its bite is reportedly quite painful. It has been compared to a "deep injection", and the pain can last for several hours.
Segestria florentina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're from the area around the Mediterranean, but its habitat now extends as far north as Sheffield.

That being said, I'm glad I don't have to deal with dangerous critters like those they have down under.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-03-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
^^ Rather incongruous location for a "standalone" gas station in the first shot. The Beekman tower looks good in that light.
Btw, that gas station is going away soon. It does look a bit incongruous, but its replacement looks even more incongrougous.

From Fill-'Er-Up to Flagship at Houston & Lafayette - Retail Watch - Curbed NY

Seven story glass building. Aren't all gas station "standalone"?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Nope, they aren't. At least not here:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=statio...58.57,,0,-0.92
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=statio...2,61.5,,0,8.56
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=statio...4.97,,0,-16.39
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=statio...82.07,,0,-6.87
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=statio...94.91,,0,-5.32

Though, Manhattan can do better. A "seven storey montrosity" in the hearth of Manhattan? That sounds like the discourse of Parisian NIMBIES. Their city deserves more than this!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Most of those are disappearing from here. Only one left in Turku:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@60.45454...LAJ8fov0pw!2e0

Most gas stations have a grocery store and a kitchen in them, so there's some space needed, like here:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@60.44219...7AiQNDjc0w!2e0

Still quite common in Central Europe.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 AM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Btw, that gas station is going away soon.

Seven story glass building.
What else is new.. Nice to be in a forum where you can express your opinion because stories like that truly disgust me. But for NYC who cares, that's fine with me...

I do a lot of travelling and see so many structures going up that was once either open land or single story buildings and it mostly hurts when its in a residential area or an area with nice scenic landscape.

Here was a stand alone gas station in Greenwich, CT on Route1 Post Road. Used to be able to see the trees behind there. Now a tall 2 story building going up. This is a small scale example.. I have more.

It's getting Claustrophobic in many spots.

There was a beautiful Italian resturaunt in one residential spot I drive through many times, which got approved to be taken down and a 11,000 square foot "facility" for assisted living to be put up. The neighbors there are furious!! Machines, trees taken down, traffic, pollution, ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather