Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times

Advertisements

Rainbow in CNJ today evening :

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:41 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
So nice having a beach right at your backdoor. There is nothing like that here in the middle of nowhere LOL.
I wouldn't say right at my backyard but it is close. Used to live a 10 minute walk away from it (very close) but sold the property in 2007 worried a Hurricane would flood the place. Then Back to Back Tropical Storms hit and flooded the property in 2011-2012.

But As with anything in life we get tired of it after a while.. I'd rather be in the middle of nowhere without the congestion or on a mountain somewhere.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,130 times
The first thunderstorm of the season just passed me by today.

Vegetation is rapidly approaching its full summer lushness:

Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Wow, lots of photos. Going to check later. I see that Cambium took a people pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Whoops. Forgot to mention, those photos were from two weeks ago. Nice photos, too btw. Surprised how close it was to the center of the city. Was this from a bike ride?
Ah, makes sense. After all, it's New York. Yup, it was from a bike ride. I'm slowly overcoming my fear for hills. That one had a 1,600 ft total ascent. Next step: L'Alpe d'Huez, and then the Hurricane Ridge.

Yes that area is a nice change from the city nearby. Pics from yesterday, 12 km northeast of the foresty lookout:
Spoiler

New game: let's spot the fast food restaurant chains:

More pics of treeless European cities

Dauntless cyclist

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok, the theme for today: some of my most favorite places and some urban scenery. Some are familiar places to you, some new.

Many photos and a long read.

Spoiler

I start my journey at the river, a natural place to start:

The W river bank, lush with vegetation. A great place for a walk in summer and autumn:

An old factory converted to housing. We do this a lot these days:

This ash is going for a swim:

Not your regular retirement home:

And the centre starts immediately behind the river bank:

Before the Art Museum hill and park:

The main square down there:

Housing by the Art Museum:

The back side of the museum:

Decided to drop the bike and venture on some of the inner yards which weren't gated:

The sign says "in wintertime you walk with your own risk":

You get a completely new feel of urbanity when you venture on foot and don't mind a little trespassing:

This is my urban paradise. No large playgrounds or parking lots:

Like this:

If Turku excels in some in something, it's the look of the schools:

Back at the museum park:

The Art Museum:

Aurakatu, on the right side of the main market square:

Uphill view:

Bar & barbeque. Made me hungry:

The shopping street:

It was already after 6pm, so not much buzz here anymore:

Old highrises:

Back to fetch my bike:

And back down:

The railway station park:

Moar hidden inner yards:

Now, part II. The Kakola former prison hill. Now closed and new housing for free people are being built.

Spoiler

Can't remember if this was the first prison facility, or the second. Anyway:

Archangel Michael's church:

"The Kakola Beach". Some kind of former reservoir I think. Completely overgrown.

The second prison:

This toilet has seen its better years:

The forced labor yard:

Second prison again:

Prison administration. Couldn't take a picture of the warden's residence, as there was a single construction worker doing something:

Oh no! I'm in prison! New houses will pop up there.

One already finished:

The Prison wing for the mentally insane. Might be converted to a hotel.

Road already finished as well:

Main building. Some of the city administration will move here in due time:

Backside:

This oak outlives all prisoners:

This ash might not. The nature is more or less totally uncontrolled and in its nature state:

If I'm not wrong, these are the leisure mess houses for the staff. Already converted to housing:

Part III, moar city:

Spoiler

More inner yards:

The district court:

Stefan Richter's steakhouse. If you're around, I suggest you'll make a try:

The 'Föri', the river ferry. No bridges can or will be built here as there's visitors' piers nearby also for high masted sail ships. In winter here's an ice road and the ferry isn't moving. This winter the ice road was open for one week.

Onboard:

The Manilla clothing and booze factory, now art galleries, amateur internet radio and such:

So the inner yard is of course full of hippies and artsy people drinking wine and smoking joints. Didn't mind me at all:

Another factory converted to housing. Had to fetch a couple of beers:

My future residence, the Wärtsilä-MB diesel engine factory, planned to be converted into loft apartments. The factory was to be retooled to build U-boat engines, but in 1943 it was already certain that Germany would lose, so we didn't want to help the war effort more than necessary:

The Crichton-Vulcan dockyards, now closed, and housing is due to be built, but the cranes will be kept as landmarks:

Forum Marinum:

Like so:

Sigge is a good architecture firm, so I think they will be nice:

This part of the diesel engine factory is planned to be converted to a mall:

Tunnel already finished:

So are the first houses:

And the view is just amazing:

Next row comes here:

Behind the rocky hill:

Anyone know what this is?

Indigenous Finnish pre-WWII architecture at its finest:

The Radisson SAS hotel. The top floor is actually a private aparment floor owned by businessman Dennis Rafkin.

People enjoying the evening:

And a final stop. My favorite place. The small park near the market square.

Unter den linden:

The only thing that's ruining the scenery:

The symbol of the 60's demolition boom. The original Hamburger Börs. When this was to be demolished, the people said "enough" and took the street. The sensless demolishing stopped here:

The other one was the Italian-Finnish architect Charles Bassi's former residence. The replacing housing would've been something like that you can see in the background:

I think this was the Lübeck Bierstube house, and it survived too:

This needs a facelift:

Nightclub Dynamo. The top destination for all hipsters:

The Rettig square. These were too to be razed, but Benito Casagrande, one of the most powerful men in Turku saved them with his own money:

The old library, donated by Ferdinand von Rettig. The first floor was meant to the common people and the second for wealthy bourgeoisie and nobility:

The art restaurant is also crowded, no surprise there:

And that's it for today.
Ariete, is it just me or do the Finnish people dress up more like Americans as opposed to other countries in continental Europe. Because from what I see in Rozenn's pics, the clothing style difference between France and Finland is enormous.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Ariete, is it just me or do the Finnish people dress up more like Americans as opposed to other countries in continental Europe. Because from what I see in Rozenn's pics, the clothing style difference between France and Finland is enormous.
What do you mean? Caps, shorts and t-shirts? Yes, definitely on a hot Saturday evening. On a workday the clothing theme would be different.

Otherwise I don't see a big difference. And all our clothes chain stores are European.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:45 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Yup the thermometer was in the 80s in Turku that day. When I took these shots in central Paris it was in the upper 50s, showery and blustery.

Part of a pic I took today. Didn't get out of the 60s so much cooler than in Ariete's shots, but the overall clothing style is a bit more casual than in yesterday's batch:

Also, in central Paris numerous people pay a lot of attention to what they wear. Where I live in the "suburbs" is slightly different.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup the thermometer was in the 80s in Turku that day. When I took these shots in central Paris it was in the upper 50s, showery and blustery.

Part of a pic I took today. Didn't get out of the 60s so much cooler than in Ariete's shots, but the overall clothing style is a bit more casual than in yesterday's batch:

Also, in central Paris numerous people pay a lot of attention to what they wear. Where I live in the "suburbs" is slightly different.
Can't say an average Finn pays as much attention into what they wear as an average Parisian, but as our summers are short and days long, it's quite normal that you sit out from when you wake up until sunset to gain the maximum advantage of the day. Who knows, these people with sorts or bikinis, caps and flip-flops may have been on the beach, and via McDonald's have sitting at the river banks for hours.

It's also common that you sit in parks and by the river for the whole day, then you bike home to eat, change clothes, shower and go clubbing by bus or taxi. People don't go to clubs anyway before midnight, and the last pictures were taken around 21:00, so people still had time on them. Temp was 28C in the first picture, 25C in the last.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:00 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
When I think of French people I think of skinny jeans. They all wear skinny jeans..

Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
First sea breeze thunderstorm of the season in Tampa

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather