Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 12:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden looks like here a month ago. Nice flowers shots!
Whoops. Forgot to mention, those photos were from two weeks ago. Nice photos, too btw. Surprised how close it was to the center of the city. Was this from a bike ride?

Last edited by nei; 05-24-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:24 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RmafAlex View Post
I never tried black bell peppers before; I usually just grow the regular green type. I plant my peppers in the sunnier spots and the tomatoes where they get more shade. My tomatoes keep producing with temperatures over 90 F, I guess because the types they sell here are heat-tolerant varieties. I get tons of tomatoes around late June and July. However, they will quit producing much if it gets up near or past 100 F.
There 'are' heat tolerate tomato seeds/plants, but unless gotten online you don't see them sold around here much.. But Even those slow down in the heat... Tomatoes don't like it hot (over 90) whereas peppers will bolt.

If you had actual flowers/blooms "growing" above 90 then that's probably what you have, unless the shade and mulch are helping. Not talking about turning Green to Red. Talking about the actual blossoms. They form but fall off and don't set the fruit.. Not talking about 2 days of 90 either. Multiple days in a row and within the weeks. Home Gardening Articles - Growing Tips - Hot Weather Tips For Tomatoes at Burpee.com

Also... don't pick the peppers when they are green, let them sit on the plant and they'll turn Orange or Red or Yellow.

The fun part is when I see the garden like a jungle in July-August. LOL. I think my humidity and dewpoints are higher near it because of it.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 PM

How about a Spring Satellite Photo?

1005mb Tropical looking Low about 320 miles off Long Island? :-) Would love to be on a boat right in the eye there.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
I spent today's 30°C sauna at the beach and took some pics before and after.

Pine forest in Pirita:

A fluffy summer cloud with nice god ray effects:

A friend's garden in Merivälja:

Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Ok, the theme for today: some of my most favorite places and some urban scenery. Some are familiar places to you, some new.

Many photos and a long read.

Spoiler

I start my journey at the river, a natural place to start:

The W river bank, lush with vegetation. A great place for a walk in summer and autumn:

An old factory converted to housing. We do this a lot these days:

This ash is going for a swim:

Not your regular retirement home:

And the centre starts immediately behind the river bank:

Before the Art Museum hill and park:

The main square down there:

Housing by the Art Museum:

The back side of the museum:

Decided to drop the bike and venture on some of the inner yards which weren't gated:

The sign says "in wintertime you walk with your own risk":

You get a completely new feel of urbanity when you venture on foot and don't mind a little trespassing:

This is my urban paradise. No large playgrounds or parking lots:

Like this:

If Turku excels in some in something, it's the look of the schools:

Back at the museum park:

The Art Museum:

Aurakatu, on the right side of the main market square:

Uphill view:

Bar & barbeque. Made me hungry:

The shopping street:

It was already after 6pm, so not much buzz here anymore:

Old highrises:

Back to fetch my bike:

And back down:

The railway station park:

Moar hidden inner yards:

Now, part II. The Kakola former prison hill. Now closed and new housing for free people are being built.

Spoiler

Can't remember if this was the first prison facility, or the second. Anyway:

Archangel Michael's church:

"The Kakola Beach". Some kind of former reservoir I think. Completely overgrown.

The second prison:

This toilet has seen its better years:

The forced labor yard:

Second prison again:

Prison administration. Couldn't take a picture of the warden's residence, as there was a single construction worker doing something:

Oh no! I'm in prison! New houses will pop up there.

One already finished:

The Prison wing for the mentally insane. Might be converted to a hotel.

Road already finished as well:

Main building. Some of the city administration will move here in due time:

Backside:

This oak outlives all prisoners:

This ash might not. The nature is more or less totally uncontrolled and in its nature state:

If I'm not wrong, these are the leisure mess houses for the staff. Already converted to housing:

Part III, moar city:

Spoiler

More inner yards:

The district court:

Stefan Richter's steakhouse. If you're around, I suggest you'll make a try:

The 'Föri', the river ferry. No bridges can or will be built here as there's visitors' piers nearby also for high masted sail ships. In winter here's an ice road and the ferry isn't moving. This winter the ice road was open for one week.

Onboard:

The Manilla clothing and booze factory, now art galleries, amateur internet radio and such:

So the inner yard is of course full of hippies and artsy people drinking wine and smoking joints. Didn't mind me at all:

Another factory converted to housing. Had to fetch a couple of beers:

My future residence, the Wärtsilä-MB diesel engine factory, planned to be converted into loft apartments. The factory was to be retooled to build U-boat engines, but in 1943 it was already certain that Germany would lose, so we didn't want to help the war effort more than necessary:

The Crichton-Vulcan dockyards, now closed, and housing is due to be built, but the cranes will be kept as landmarks:

Forum Marinum:

Like so:

Sigge is a good architecture firm, so I think they will be nice:

This part of the diesel engine factory is planned to be converted to a mall:

Tunnel already finished:

So are the first houses:

And the view is just amazing:

Next row comes here:

Behind the rocky hill:

Anyone know what this is?

Indigenous Finnish pre-WWII architecture at its finest:

The Radisson SAS hotel. The top floor is actually a private aparment floor owned by businessman Dennis Rafkin.

People enjoying the evening:

And a final stop. My favorite place. The small park near the market square.

Unter den linden:

The only thing that's ruining the scenery:

The symbol of the 60's demolition boom. The original Hamburger Börs. When this was to be demolished, the people said "enough" and took the street. The sensless demolishing stopped here:

The other one was the Italian-Finnish architect Charles Bassi's former residence. The replacing housing would've been something like that you can see in the background:

I think this was the Lübeck Bierstube house, and it survived too:

This needs a facelift:

Nightclub Dynamo. The top destination for all hipsters:

The Rettig square. These were too to be razed, but Benito Casagrande, one of the most powerful men in Turku saved them with his own money:

The old library, donated by Ferdinand von Rettig. The first floor was meant to the common people and the second for wealthy bourgeoisie and nobility:

The art restaurant is also crowded, no surprise there:

And that's it for today.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How about a Spring Satellite Photo?

1005mb Tropical looking Low about 320 miles off Long Island? :-) Would love to be on a boat right in the eye there.
No you wouldn't!!

You have a poor experience of wind.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Thunderstorm approaching:

Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Downgraded the video quality, wasn't going to wait 1 hour for it to upload.

Very Heavy Downpour - YouTube

Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Hey look a people picture by me! LOL This is right near a water front river called Mr Frostys.

Thunderstorm West of me. You can see where the winds are shearing it apart at the top. There's really no big lift this evening to get it to mushroom higher.

My Favorite of the evening.

Typical beach walkers but some getting anxious for beach weather. Only 62°F here. Waters probably in low 50s haven't checked lately.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hey look a people picture by me! LOL This is right near a water front river called Mr Frostys.

Thunderstorm West of me. You can see where the winds are shearing it apart at the top. There's really no big lift this evening to get it to mushroom higher.

My Favorite of the evening.

Typical beach walkers but some getting anxious for beach weather. Only 62°F here. Waters probably in low 50s haven't checked lately.
So nice having a beach right at your backdoor. There is nothing like that here in the middle of nowhere LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather