Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times

Advertisements

Do you not have cages around the garden? Here it must be caged or else rabbits will eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Do you not have cages around the garden? Here it must be caged or else rabbits will eat it.
I've never had much of a problem with animals tearing up or eating vegetables. The garden is planted in a fairly small field that is mostly surrounded by a neighborhood, so I guess that keeps the population of wild animals down. I do see rabbits on occasion, but never had much of an issue with them. The main thing I have a problem with is birds that come and eat tomatoes not long after they turn ripe.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Some blurry photos I took in Lower Manhattan. Nice light on the skyscrapers at the distance.

some hours later, just before the storm:

more dark sky:

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times
^^ Rather incongruous location for a "standalone" gas station in the first shot. The Beekman tower looks good in that light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Rozenn, nice!

That hole looks like a gun emplacement or a flooding reservoir.
After a little research, it appears that your second guess was closest. It's a water treatment plant. They remove oil and sand from the water that comes from the built up plateau above before it reaches the ponds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
Some pictures from the spectacular thunderstorm yesterday.
Taking from the 16th floor mostly in the house where i am living.
Nice, we don't get many (if any) lightning shots by members here.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Agreed. You made me curious, I'll check if mine has that option as well.

Some shots from this evening. Gotta love late spring with its lush vegetation and late (for us) sunsets.
You can always try with Photoshop but that's like cheating. lol Plus easier snapping, uploading, and posting as opposed to editing. NICE photos by the way. Love the landscape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmafAlex View Post
A few vegetable garden pictures I took. Most of it was planted about a month ago (the tomatoes were transplants).

Tomatoes:
Zucchini:

Cucumbers:
NICE! Way ahead of me naturally down there. Since we're on the Garden theme, here's a few of mine... about 2 weeks behind previous years. I fear its gonna be a short growing season

From left to Right: Cucumbers, Radish, Beets, Onions, Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Okra, Potatoes.

Tomatoes... This time in 2012 double in size with blooms on them.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Nice, we don't get many (if any) lightning shots by members here.
Maybe we're smart enough to stay inside? LOL It's VERY hard to catch lightning, not only do you need a burst option on the camera but also good timing and getting a clear shot of it.. Sometimes I have the camera pointing in one direction and the bolt drops in the other. (hate that)

On August 1, 2011 I went to the beach to capture the lightning show over the Atlantic Ocean. I believe it hit something on Long Island here. This is a screen shot from a video (I had no luck grabbing a still shot at the time)

Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

NICE! Way ahead of me naturally down there. Since we're on the Garden theme, here's a few of mine... about 2 weeks behind previous years. I fear its gonna be a short growing season

From left to Right: Cucumbers, Radish, Beets, Onions, Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Okra, Potatoes.

Tomatoes... This time in 2012 double in size with blooms on them.
Yours looks nice too! I never tried radishes, beets, or potatoes. I don't think beets could handle the Louisiana heat very well.

Peppers always do well here. I'm growing a variety of types including poblano, jalapeno, cayenne, and bell peppers.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmafAlex View Post
Yours looks nice too! I never tried radishes, beets, or potatoes. I don't think beets could handle the Louisiana heat very well.

Peppers always do well here. I'm growing a variety of types including poblano, jalapeno, cayenne, and bell peppers.
Thanks. Oh yeah, Peppers and Cucumbers LOVE the heat, and corn. But Peppers hate too much water, Cucumbers need lots of water. Tomatoes do great around here because we don't get many 90°F+ days (they stop producing above 90)

Hot peppers I keep in pots, Bell peppers in ground. You ever try Black Bell Peppers? I didn't like them too much but looks unique in the garden.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Maybe we're smart enough to stay inside? LOL It's VERY hard to catch lightning, not only do you need a burst option on the camera but also good timing and getting a clear shot of it.. Sometimes I have the camera pointing in one direction and the bolt drops in the other. (hate that)

On August 1, 2011 I went to the beach to capture the lightning show over the Atlantic Ocean. I believe it hit something on Long Island here. This is a screen shot from a video (I had no luck grabbing a still shot at the time)

I caught this in Florida in June 2012...

Old 05-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Oh yeah, Peppers and Cucumbers LOVE the heat, and corn. But Peppers hate too much water, Cucumbers need lots of water. Tomatoes do great around here because we don't get many 90°F+ days (they stop producing above 90)

Hot peppers I keep in pots, Bell peppers in ground. You ever try Black Bell Peppers? I didn't like them too much but looks unique in the garden.
I never tried black bell peppers before; I usually just grow the regular green type. I plant my peppers in the sunnier spots and the tomatoes where they get more shade. My tomatoes keep producing with temperatures over 90 F, I guess because the types they sell here are heat-tolerant varieties. I get tons of tomatoes around late June and July. However, they will quit producing much if it gets up near or past 100 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather