Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When does spring start?
1st March 28 47.46%
21st March 6 10.17%
20th March 7 11.86%
1st Febuary 2 3.39%
1st April 7 11.86%
Don't have spring in this climate 5 8.47%
Don't really care! 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
^^Spring is Sep for southern hemisphere.
That is very true! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Due to the Gulf of Finland which is (normally) frozen and the normal pattern of the Jet Stream spring doesn't start here before around 20 March. Today the sun is as high as at 13 October, at 22 degrees, which is very low, you barely feel any warming effect. For example in Boston the angle is 24 degrees at winter solstice. We have to go to 23 March to even get the same sun angle London has today.

Sun angle is of course not everything, depends so much on the weather patterns, and especially on that awful Siberian high, but on average until 15 March it's full winter over here. And I hate it.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Due to the Gulf of Finland which is (normally) frozen and the normal pattern of the Jet Stream spring doesn't start here before around 20 March. Today the sun is as high as at 13 October, at 22 degrees, which is very low, you barely feel any warming effect. For example in Boston the angle is 24 degrees at winter solstice. We have to go to 23 March to even get the same sun angle London has today.

Sun angle is of course not everything, depends so much on the weather patterns, and especially on that awful Siberian high, but on average until 15 March it's full winter over here. And I hate it.
That's really pathetic, 47.4° at solar noon time here.
Actually I love the warmth of the sun during the early of Spring but the only thing that bugs me about the sunny weather is UV Index!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times
Quote:

Haha, here in Pompey, the highest sun angle is 31.6 degrees... Your sun angle now is late January here! Haha

Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:

Yet your daylight is almost as long as ours. The sun angle is creating glare issues on the snow these days here. Doesn't sound fun, but it'd be interesting to experience your sun angle. Closest I've experienced was southern Scotland in late July. March or September would be feel weird as the daylength is close to us but the sun wouldn't go up much.

I haven't been below 37° (California, southern Spain) in almost ten years, either.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Looking out my window it doesn't look much like spring, LOL....more like mid winter.

With seasonal lag here, I'm leaning towards astronomical, march 21st
Though I chose "no spring", might not get spring this year

Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
March 1st is usually the start of spring here but this year some flowers were already starting to come out at the end of January due to the unusually mild conditions

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Spring started in December this year.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Europe didn't have a single Siberian high affecting this winter, and the Jet was above Scandinavia for most of the season while it should be above Germany and Poland. The position MIGHT be due to the massive polar vortex in the W hem, but we don't know that. Or at least I don't know that.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Quote:
Europe didn't have a single Siberian high affecting this winter, and the Jet was above Scandinavia for most of the season while it should be above Germany and Poland. The position MIGHT be due to the massive polar vortex in the W hem, but we don't know that. Or at least I don't know that.
The jet has been over S Scandinvia very often in winter the last decades.
Before 1998, autumn was wettest in Bergen and most of W Norway, often with September as wettest month (yellow locations in the map in the link has wettest month in autumn).
After 1998 the wettest month is in winter in much of W Norway incl Bergen (blue locations in the map, see link). Not quite there in Trondheim, but winter is very close to overtake autumn here now as wettest season.
September is now 11 % drier, even if precipitation has increased over the year.
Autumn weather has on average arrived later than before, summer lasts longer.

Inland, summer is wettest season (red locations), and precipitation in summer has increased inland.
Link (txt in Norwegian only).
Vinteren er den nye høsten - TV2.no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather