Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is fed up with this stagnant weather pattern. Especially Californians who are running out of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Exactly.. It's not unusual but its special since its not common and harder to happen.

Number of times 1" or more snow fell in April

NYC only 3 times since 1965
Bridgeport: 3 times last 18 yrs. Normal is 0 times.
Albany happens once every 1-2 yrs. Normal is 1 time.
Pittsburgh only 3 times since 1992
Burlington Vermont 1 or 2 times in April they get 1"+

If you bump it up to 2" snow in April obviously its less. Even north of 41N.
True.....I guess I'm speaking mostly of the yearly early April snowfalls that seem to affect MN/Wisconsin/Michigan/Upstate NY/VT/NH/ME. Every single year I see posts like this from people in those areas:

"SNOW IN APRIL???!!! How unusual".......Snow in April this part of the country is not unusual, especially the early part of the month. Now an April blizzard is unusual. I say bring it on.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:10 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Not surprising. Here in Ohio it isn't unheard of to get snow in April. In fact in 2005 we got dumped on with several inches in late April, when the weekend before we had 80 degree weather. I just hope that this one bypasses us. It's snowing here right now, and quite frankly after this winter and how bitter cold it was again, I'm done!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
True.....I guess I'm speaking mostly of the yearly early April snowfalls that seem to affect MN/Wisconsin/Michigan/Upstate NY/VT/NH/ME. Every single year I see posts like this from people in those areas:

"SNOW IN APRIL???!!! How unusual".......Snow in April this part of the country is not unusual, especially the early part of the month. Now an April blizzard is unusual. I say bring it on.
lol. I think it's the fact that it doesn't happen every year or other year EVEN for those areas.

Concord NH 2" snowfalls in April don't happen all the time. Only a handful in last 2 decades.

Also the fact that how many snow "storms" do we actually track in April? Not every year.

Another way to look at it... March snow is not uncommon either yet look at how interesting it was with all the record or Top 10 snowfalls (daily and monthly).

So IF...IF any snow falls in April, we'll have to see how it pars up with the rarity of it.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Speaking of the Euro. Latest 12z Bombs away! That's the other thing... how many "big" storms have we had past couple months? Not many if any.

983mb low Saturday April 4th. 850s at 14C there over Long Island, warm morning up and down the East. ... Assuming by this Michigan gets hammered with snow.

Hang on..

NOPE... Even Detroit starts off with a ton of rain but then temps crash on all levels with moisture still around so changes to snow. That's April/Spring for you.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
lol. I think it's the fact that it doesn't happen every year or other year EVEN for those areas.

Concord NH 2" snowfalls in April don't happen all the time. Only a handful in last 2 decades.

Also the fact that how many snow "storms" do we actually track in April? Not every year.

Another way to look at it... March snow is not uncommon either yet look at how interesting it was with all the record or Top 10 snowfalls (daily and monthly).

So IF...IF any snow falls in April, we'll have to see how it pars up with the rarity of it.
Concord got a foot of snow in 2003 and 2007. Most years get nothing, or close to nothing (<2) and then a few years get a lot. Very skewed distribution.

CONCORD WSO AIRPORT, NEW HAMPSHIRE - Climate Summary

Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Concord got a foot of snow in 2003 and 2007. Most years get nothing, or close to nothing (<2) and then a few years get a lot. Very skewed distribution.

CONCORD WSO AIRPORT, NEW HAMPSHIRE - Climate Summary
Both those yrs on the 4th and 5th of April. And models showing a storm on the 4th and 5th this year? Weird.

2007 I got rain from that storm and a trace on the backend of it as the colder air filtered in.

Concord got 5.2" on April 29th 1987. That must of been awesome time to track the storm. Exciting. That was the latest date with over 5" of snow. I was just starting to watch TWC around then and was hooked. lol

Normal April snow is 2.8" in Concord.

I wonder how Toronto and Montreal numbers look. I would assume April snow is more common there than New England.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Both those yrs on the 4th and 5th of April. And models showing a storm on the 4th and 5th this year? Weird.

2007 I got rain from that storm and a trace on the backend of it as the colder air filtered in.

Concord got 5.2" on April 29th 1987. That must of been awesome time to track the storm. Exciting. That was the latest date with over 5" of snow. I was just starting to watch TWC around then and was hooked. lol

Normal April snow is 2.8" in Concord.

I wonder how Toronto and Montreal numbers look. I would assume April snow is more common there than New England.
I was just reading that normal April snowfall in Montreal is about 11 cm. Toronto would be less than that.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just reading that normal April snowfall in Montreal is about 11 cm. Toronto would be less than that.
Thanks for that! So 4.3". And thanks for stopping in. Hope to see more weather posts from you. If you're in Canada I would keep an eye on this Easter Weekend storm too.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,106 times
Looking into forecast for Easter in NJ (where I'm flying into) and it will be mostly rain and slightly below average temps. Where is this snow coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather