Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 01:48 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You have to remember that Americans are not very smart so need a system that is very simple and easy to use.
The whole idea of metrication is to replace existing systems with something standard, simpler and easier to use.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:50 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I almost can't think of a product sold in the US that doesn't use both systems. For example you will see 1 kg (2.2 lbs) or 12 oz (355 ml)
But that doesn't mean that most Americans actually use both systems themselves, how many Americans use celcius? Do any weather forecasts use celcius & fahrenheit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Brainwashed by the magic word, "metric."
Nope. Just not stuck in the dark ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You have to remember that Americans are not very smart so need a system that is very simple and easy to use.
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
or just prefer to follow the convention. Hard to argue what's more logical. But I find Celsius = inherently better unconvincing.
Or Americans are just too stubborn (or stupid) to update to the same system the rest of the world uses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Why do you hate the UK so much?
He's just jealous

Old 08-14-2015, 02:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Or Americans are just too stubborn (or stupid) to update to the same system the rest of the world uses...
You haven't presented any strong argument over the benefit of Celsius. So why is it stupid or stubborn not to switch? I don't see any benefit in switching to Celsius.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You haven't presented any strong argument over the benefit of Celsius. So why is it stupid or stubborn not to switch? I don't see any benefit in switching to Celsius.
Why do I need to present any argument? The rest of the world uses it, just seems silly to stick to an outdated system that no one else uses...

Americans just like to be different. Same for the silly date format & same for the butchering of the spelling of so many English words

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
Well Americans never actually admit to any faults that their country has. Insecure people never admit to faults.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The whole idea of metrication is to replace existing systems with something standard, simpler and easier to use.
It is but it isn't. The problem is the whole change over. It can't be a mixed bag. I keep using football because it uses yards for field dimensions specifically. The field goes from 100 yards (5 yard end-zone length) to 91.44 meters. The 10 yards for a down now becomes 9.14 meters. It is awkward entirely.

Quote:
Nobody has because Celsius is only really used in the lab for America.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Why do I need to present any argument? The rest of the world uses it, just seems silly to stick to an outdated system that no one else uses...
To say it's stubborn or stupid not to switch, you'd present a good argument why switching is an obviously good thing to do. I like °F better than °C, don't really care if other countries use it. If there's no benefit, why switch?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Average oven temperatures are well above 100 in both F and C... 0-100 scale is irrelevant for oven temperatures.

I have no argument at all that other metric measurements are more logical and easier to use than imperial measurements. I just don't think that superiority extends to F vs C.

I also have no argument that once you are used to C, it becomes intuitive. I do disagree that it is inherently better and more logical than F.

If you do not use it for weights and measures it makes no sense to use it for temperatures as is it in weights and measures that the more logical aspect becomes a factor. There is no reason to convert in distance and weight and not tempertures either. The concept that either when applied to air temperature is more natural, intutitive or simple is false. What is more natural, intutitve or simple is the one you personally know. I do think that the US will eventually convert to the metric system though but it will most likley be some future generation that will have to go through the several years of adjustment not the adults of today. I do not understand why the UK left distance in miles especailly since it is so small to begin with, at least with metric it would make the UK appear slightly larger.

At least when it gets to minus 40 it does not matter which system is being used and below minus 40, all you have to say is it is cold and minus 49 is very cold.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is but it isn't. The problem is the whole change over. It can't be a mixed bag. I keep using football because it uses yards for field dimensions specifically. The field goes from 100 yards (5 yard end-zone length) to 91.44 meters. The 10 yards for a down now becomes 9.14 meters. It is awkward entirely.

Nobody has because Celsius is only really used in the lab for America.
But why wouldn't football continue to use yards? Golf does. If full metrication ever happened in the US, I would expect football to continue to use yards.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Eh? I like °F better than °C, don't really care if other countries use it. If there's no benefit, why switch?
But that decision wouldn't be down to you anyway, if the US did switch you would have to get used to it & no doubt the weather forecasts would use both celcius & fahrenheit togther, like they do still now in the UK...

Just seems odd that a country that is the self proclaimed biggest, best & most powerful nation in the universe likes using such an outdated system...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather