Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times

Advertisements

So winter arrived in some places in Europe! Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Was going to post this awesome sky this morning on the coldest morning since June again, then saw NWS NY summary and figured I put them together.

WEATHER SUMMARY FOR SOUTHEASTERN NY...NORTHEASTERN NJ AND SOUTHERN CT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
358 AM EDT WED SEP 23 2015

FALL ARRIVED AT 421 AM THIS MORNING. THE DRY WEATHER CONTINUES AS HIGH PRESSURE DOMINATES INTO THIS WEEKEND.

UNDER A PERFECTLY CLEAR COBALT BLUE SKY TODAY...TEMPS WILL RISE INTO THE MID AND UPPER 70S THIS AFTERNOON. THE CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS TONIGHT WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO THE 40S ACROSS THE INTERIOR AND THE LONG ISLAND PINE BARRENS...50S CLOSER TO THE COAST...AND LOWER 60S IN THE NYC METRO BY THURSDAY MORNING.

ANOTHER SUNNY DAY IS IN STORE FOR THURSDAY WITH SIMILAR TEMPERATURES TO TODAY.

Its crystal clear to the north so the clouds should move out or dissipate.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
from yesterday morning. Just after sunrise. Cool, cloudy morning:

similar temperatures next morning but the overcast weather (from a passing low?). Typical morning inversion accompanied by dry weather.

from the bridge

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,871 times
Cloudy and calm today, about 13C / 55F when I took my boat on the fjord late this afternoon. Cell phone image.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Road between Põlva and Võru

Old 09-23-2015, 04:00 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
September 23rd, 2015 Harvest.

Tomatoes, Kale, Beets, Figs, Sweet Bell Peppers, Hot Peppers. Long Season this year. Lack of 40s and record # of 80s helped especially the peppers! Don't usually get them this late and there's even new blooms happening.

Could of added a couple of carrots into this. Oh well. No matter what the weather brings I plan on ripping everything up this weekend and cleaning both beds. I'm done. I want snow now. :-)

Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times
Microburst in Ioannina yesterday.
https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...69&oe=566557FA

Last edited by nei; 09-24-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That house in the valley there near Madison looks odd. Are there people working there? You called it a hut? Is that just a "in case" you need to crash? I assume no camping at that level.
Its lodging; an alpine hut. There are beds you can sleep overnight and they serve dinner. Also sell snacks and have free water. Popular with families and people who don't want to hike longer distances but they're expensive.

New Hampshire Lodging - White Mountain Huts | AMC

Some of the huts are much larger than others; Lake of the Clouds at the top of the Ammonoosuc trail and near Washington is huge, it holds up to 90 for a night.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Gosh this is exactly Notre Dame de Paris without the towers and with tiles instead of lead panels.

Rode my new bike yesterday. Part of the route is a highlight of the Monte Carlo Rally.
Incredible ride, what was the distance and elevation gain?! It looks really hard, lots of varied scenery there. The elevation gain has to be at least 7,000 feet assuming you started from home. More if there were significant ups and downs. New bike made climbing easier, hopefully? I see you have clipless pedals and must have gotten bike shoes. I've never bothered with bike shoes myself.

Quote:
There were no cars for about 15 minutes, but suddenly a large group of ATVs went through the, at the time, quiet gorge. The noise was amplified by the echo. I had to wait long minutes for the sound of the river below and the birdsongs to become audible again.
Remember you showing photos of that gorge before, can't remember if it was from another bike ride or driving.

Quote:
The road passes through a village shortly after.
As I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd agree. But southern France sounds like an interesting place to explore; picturesque old towns and small cities, pretty coastline, and scenic countryside with rugged mountains and canyons. No enormous city, though.

Quote:
Entering the clouds.
Like the mountain shots with clouds the best. Looks like you find some out of the way dirt roads, common in rural mountainous areas?

Quote:
Looks like a windy stretch ahead.
How scary was descending those curves? Did you have brake a lot?

Quote:
Actually I'm feeling super lazy.
Ah, you got a train assist, too. I take it was unplanned? Or you didn't have a firm idea of how far you'd go for
and how long you'd go?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:52 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Incredible ride, what was the distance and elevation gain?! It looks really hard, lots of varied scenery there. The elevation gain has to be at least 7,000 feet assuming you started from home. More if there were significant ups and downs.
The ride was pretty short as I didn't start from home, only 45 miles in total. The mapping website I used says the elevation gain was 9,000 feet, but I don't buy it. In mountainous areas, the map has to be exceedlingly precise as a couple dozen meters from the road the terrain could be 300 feet lower or higher. I'd say the gain was about 6,500 feet. Start is around 1,000 feet and summit just shy of 7,000 feet, whith a few up and downs but not too many. It's my first HC-rated climb tho, so I'm satisfied.

Quote:
New bike made climbing easier, hopefully? I see you have clipless pedals and must have gotten bike shoes. I've never bothered with bike shoes myself.
Yeah the new bike made it much easier. I sometimes use it to commute instead of my car. My pet peeve is that ~500 ft climb between home and work. Fortunately I can shower at work. I wouldn't have been able to climb that pass at all with my old bike. It was a hybrid bicycle, whereas this one is a proper road bike. Pic of my hybrid:

Spoiler

I rode it again Monday and, boy, it's much heavier. Can't carry it comfortably with only one arm, contrary to the new one. I was happy when I first rode my road bike:
//www.city-data.com/forum/41081590-post7565.html

I have gotten bike shoes and tried them last week but wasn't confident enough to take a longish ride with them. So normal shoes it was.

Quote:
Remember you showing photos of that gorge before, can't remember if it was from another bike ride or driving.
Nope, I never posted pics from that gorge. It was another. There are litterally dozens!

Quote:
Like the mountain shots with clouds the best. Looks like you find some out of the way dirt roads, common in rural mountainous areas?
Yup they're pretty common. Some are famous among mountain bikers. Some of those profiles are crazy!

Quote:
How scary was descending those curves? Did you have brake a lot?
Not scary once I had a good handle of the bike. But at first I rode it like my hybrid one, and I gotta say that with the thin and smooth tires, the handling isn't as good and I nearly fell off the bike at ~35 mph. After that I learned to brake long before the incoming curve.

Quote:
Ah, you got a train assist, too. I take it was unplanned? Or you didn't have a firm idea of how far you'd go for
and how long you'd go?
Everything was planned to be honest. My only goal was to climb that pass and not die in the process. Took many photo and food breaks and even slept at the summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather