Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 04:04 PM

341 posts, read 341,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Even though I wasn't sure about the left lane thing because that is rarely seen, This is what was questioned even more. There IS a bike lane and there IS room to move over. The guy obviously cant bike 30+ mph so he should of moved over onto that bike lane.. It was causing traffic and congestion in an already congested area. I was patient of course out of respect, guy behind me was beeping and lady on my left wasn't passing me.
Cyclists are allowed to use roads just like you are. This bike road looks like sh**, and you had another lane. What's the problem then with car drivers in USA? Superiority complex? I wouldnt' be surprised, we got similar problems here, in eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
In your photo the lanes aren't wide enough for cars to safely pass the cyclist without at least straddling the left lane. I guess the cyclist stayed in the middle of his lane in order to prevent motorists to pass him too close. As mentioned, he's entitled to do so. That would be kinda annoying on a two-lane road, but I don't see the problem on a 4-lane one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Strava heat heat map gives a good indication of how much people ride in an area; but it's biased towards the more athletic and road racer types, though they're not the sole users. While those who bike just for transportation might not use it as much. Brighter the color the more bicycle riders or rather Strava riders, looks his area has less cyclists than mine:

Strava Global Heatmap

The default map (of the San Francisco Bay Area and surroundings) has some interesting patterns — the city and Silicon Valley stand out, many of the East Bay suburbs are dark. I think the spot Rozenn rode in the Alps shows up brightly in that map.
An avid cyclist I know who visited California last summer was surprised when he checked Strava and realized that a random path in Griffith Park, LA had as many rides as the Alpe d'Huez climb in the French Alps. England and the Low Countries stand out in Europe.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-29-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Speaking of cycling, I think she lives in Manhattan. Peak foliage wherever Manhattan has trees

https://twitter.com/annabikes/status/659098629920169985

Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
An avid cyclist I know who visited California last summer was surprised when he checked Strava and realized that a random path in Griffith Park, LA had as many rides as the Alpe d'Huez climb in the French Alps. England and the Low Countries stand out in Europe.
I assume that's because a lot more people live right near Griffith Park than the Alpe d'Huez climb; and Griffith Park is probably a spot people go to do a workout regularly. Prospect and Central Parks in NYC are very bright.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
In your photo the lanes aren't wide enough for cars to safely pass the cyclist without at least straddling the left lane. I guess the cyclist stayed in the middle of his lane in order to prevent motorists to pass him too close. As mentioned, he's entitled to do so. That would be kinda annoying on a two-lane road, but I don't see the problem on a 4-lane one.
If the road is congested, I can understand why drivers would be annoyed on the four lane. I'd try to squeeze to let traffic behind pass if traffic was stuck behind me after. Looks like an unpleasant road to bike on; I'd try to find a back road if possible.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:50 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
this morning.

Same spot 2 weeks ago

Spoiler

New drone video From Waveny Park in New Canaan, CT. Wow. Talk about colors! This spot is close to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhGU-PaJYVw

Old 10-31-2015, 12:39 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Earlier this afternoon, peak colours are early this year (usually early November).

Today's harvest, Cambium style.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:14 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Couple pics from this morning.

Tangor Outlets in Westbrook, CT. Right off I-95 near the coast

Chilly in the mid 30s.

Hey look, covered! lol. These outlets have covered walkways which is nice in the summer to protect you from the strong sun.

Nice and early, nobody around. Perfect!

Phone camera crap and inside car. Looks like winter in many areas.

2 hours later... AWESOME. Wish I had my regular camera.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Friday

yesterday late afternoon

Old 11-01-2015, 06:05 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
So I went to Italy for about 10 days!

Lake Garda

The Italian Alps

Venice

Torino
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather