Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times

Advertisements

Yes if you use St James' Park or LWC the average minimums & absolute lows are much milder than Heathrow. I believe even in 2010, the coldest winter spell for many years in the UK, St James' Park only dropped to -4C...

Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yep for me they both came around at the same time. I was always interested in the weather but I only started to keep records with my own weather station once I started growing palms, while still living at home too. It helps to find the different micro-climates even within the same garden & certainly with some of the palms I have grown over the years it can help others know what can or cannot be grown too...

Even now I'm in Malta I am still pushing my luck with regards to plants I am trying outside, I am growing some tropical stuff that is thriving & it helps having my own PWS as I now know that winter temperatures & minimum temperatures in general are higher here than the official stats for Malta (taken from Luqa airport) would have me believe

I've always thought airports were colder just being kind of out of the way places. I think particularly at night they seem colder.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM

102 posts, read 104,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Good to see there are some of us weather followers that enjoy gardening as well. The two are tied very closely together imo. Same for agriculture. My weather and gardening interest go hand in hand.
Yeah, I like to have a nice garden. Winters averaging above zero is a huge thing for me, if it stayed below that temperature for too long, many of my fancy flowers would die, and I dare say the expensive fish in my pond would share the same fate. I imagine farmers echo many of our sentiments, freezing temperatures are never good for agriculture.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I work with a guy who spends every February at his friends in Toronto, and he is adamant that a sub zero sunny day there, feels nicer than a damp and miserable typical day here.
Obviously there are times when the cold there is a bit much though. And the fact remains that Toronto is significantly colder than here, but maybe does feel like there's such a difference.
I knew someone from Nova Scotia who said the same about here. He thought a sunny frosty morning here felt worse than the same in Nova Scotia, because of that old villain..... humidity.

Crazy stuff.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,819,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I knew someone from Nova Scotia who said the same about here. He thought a sunny frosty morning here felt worse than the same in Nova Scotia, because of that old villain..... humidity.

Crazy stuff.
A sunny, 4C and low humidity day here, definitely feels better than say a typical 7C and damp cloudy day.
High humidity in cool temperatures chills you to the bone! Dry air certainly doesn't.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
A sunny, 4C and low humidity day here, definitely feels better than say a typical 7C and damp cloudy day.
High humidity in cool temperatures chills you to the bone! Dry air certainly doesn't.
Sounds like you have the same misconception that I do.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Sunny low humidity 4C days don't really happen here. A frosty day will start out at 100% RH. The RH which stay into the high 90s due to evaporation from melting frost (very heavy dews here), up until about 8-9C. The RH will drop rapidly after that, with the mid afternoon maximum which is typically between 11-16C, having 60-80% RH.

I think the Canuck was just noticing the difference between dewpoints of 10-12C (on warmer days), followed by dewpoints of -3C only a few hours later. That is something that wouldn't happen in a Canadian winter, and I think that is what he felt, but perceived as high relative humidity

Dry air does chill faster. Fruit are pre chilled (down to 4C) where I work during summer. If the fruit come in wet, then they have to be air dried, as the moisture drastically slows the rate of chilling and drives the power bill up.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Well, we have had a couple of days with absolutely no wind and full sunshine all the day. The nights have been almost record-breaking cold, and daytime temps haven't risen much above 5C. Humidity has been from 90% during the night and 50% during the day. Though it has been frigid for the time of the year even here, it hasn't felt too bad at all in the afternoon sunshine.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM

102 posts, read 104,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, we have had a couple of days with absolutely no wind and full sunshine all the day. The nights have been almost record-breaking cold, and daytime temps haven't risen much above 5C. Humidity has been from 90% during the night and 50% during the day. Though it has been frigid for the time of the year even here, it hasn't felt too bad at all in the afternoon sunshine.
Max of 5C in early October? Where in Finland do you live?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
Max of 5C in early October? Where in Finland do you live?
Southwest coast. We are having an extreme arctic blast upon us. One in 25 years event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather