Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM

102 posts, read 104,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Southwest coast. We are having an extreme arctic blast upon us. One in 25 years event.
I just look at forecasts, it seems as though it is bouncing back to a more typical temperature in the next couple of days.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
I just look at forecasts, it seems as though it is bouncing back to a more typical temperature in the next couple of days.
Yeah, I hope we will.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
And you consider an arctic outbreak the problem with Florida's weather and not the insane disgusting day after day sauna for 6 months a year?
Exactly! I grew tired of the constant heat and humidity down there and those "arctic" (lol) days were heavenly. Most native Floridians look forward to the cold fronts, though you still have lots of people who insist on wearing a sweater at 70 degrees. I dunno about you, but at 59 degrees on a sunny day I find a sweater too warm let alone at 70. It's a constant mugginess and heat that lasts until around Thanksgiving and comes back in March. The winter isn't even all that cool either, it still gets kinda hot during the day most days. I just didn't like it. And then they mention "but there's a sea breeze!" yea when yer at the beach lol I lived like 25 minutes from the sea down there. There ain't no damn sea breeze when you go inland!

Even though it's October and 85 right now, at least it'll be constant lows in the 50s and under pretty soon and certainly won't be hot and muggy by the time November hits. Better not come to northern Texas in November though, it's "arctic" here! The Cowboys play in parkas every season

Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
. And then they mention "but there's a sea breeze!" yea when yer at the beach lol I lived like 25 minutes from the sea down there. There ain't no damn sea breeze when you go inland!
Do you mean that there is no sea breeze at all?, or just that it doesn't have a cooling effect 25 minutes inland?

Over here, no part of the country doesn't get the sea breeze. It might not be a refreshing breeze 100km from the coast, but it is still a sea breeze.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you mean that there is no sea breeze at all?, or just that it doesn't have a cooling effect 25 minutes inland?

Over here, no part of the country doesn't get the sea breeze. It might not be a refreshing breeze 100km from the coast, but it is still a sea breeze.
I assume none. Could be wrong, but don't think coastal sea breeze on the east coast usually penetrated more than 5-10 miles inland. I'd like to read some old forecast discussions — not really the right time of year for it as the ocean is warmer than land. Not that familiar with southern climate, but I haven't heard of sea breezes mentioned much there.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I assume none. Could be wrong, but don't think coastal sea breeze on the east coast usually penetrated more than 5-10 miles inland. I'd like to read some old forecast discussions — not really the right time of year for it as the ocean is warmer than land. Not that familiar with southern climate, but I haven't heard of sea breezes mentioned much there.
My experience in NZ, from places like Central Otago and the Mackenzie Country, is that most people don't recognise a sea breeze, but tend to talk about evening/afternoon breezes.

If there is convection, then something must replace the rising air.

Is the sea breeze a winter thing where you are?

Old 10-09-2015, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My experience in NZ, from places like Central Otago and the Mackenzie Country, is that most people don't recognise a sea breeze, but tend to talk about evening/afternoon breezes.

If there is convection, then something must replace the rising air.
Generally, days with convection get an afternoon breeze. Yes, something must replace rising air but it could come from elsewhere else off land. That's not necessarily from the sea, more often it's from a westerly direction but it depends on the weather setup (high and low pressure configuration could override it).

Quote:
Is the sea breeze a winter thing where you are?
I'd assume spring and summer would be more prone to sea breeze; there's not much of any convection in winter or mid to late fall — too cool and weak sun. I would assume sea breeze would also depend on the land/sea temperature contrast. It gets mentioned in the forecast discussions from maybe April to September, but generally referring to weather on the coast not this far inland. Sea breezes end up weakening convective as they cool the surface and un-steepen the lapse rate.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:13 PM

https://twitter.com/nwsboston/status/321734913319636992

Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I'd assume spring and summer would be more prone to sea breeze; there's not much of any convection in winter or mid to late fall — too cool and weak sun. I would assume sea breeze would also depend on the land/sea temperature contrast.
The sea breeze here starts in late winter, and continues until early summer. Then subdued activity after early summer when land/sea temperatures equalise.

Late autumn until the end of winter sees land breezes in the morning - that is differentiated from the katabatic wind, by the towering cumulus over the sea.

Just saw the graph. That is very extreme. A comparable October sea breeze, might knock the temperature back by 1-2C. By late spring/early summer, the temperature will still rise after the start of the sea breeze.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Agreed. How many threads do we need on this same topic?
Apparently quite a few, so y'all can come in and comment on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather