Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times

Advertisements

Since when did Britain mean England?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
26,000,000/64,000,000 x 100 = 40.6%. It's pretty obvious dear!

Maths isn't YOUR strong point.
Do me a favour and count the following geographical areas

North East
North West
South East
South West

Are we agreed that's 4? Good, now lets consider the whole of Britain 100% of Britain if you like, have you done that? Now tell me what is 100% divided into 4?

Tell me that and you will have your answer.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
I'm not counting geographical regions dear, I am counting land area and % i.e real maths.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It would, but Florida wouldn't have a large land/sea temperature differences that you get prior to mid summer, so the sea breeze wouldn't be as strong.

Hmm... Florida does get sea breezes. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_br...zes_in_Florida
Yes, I thought so. It's just too warm to notice.

Interesting article. The land breeze is common here during the colder months as well.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I'm not counting geographical regions dear, I am counting land area and % i.e real maths.
Most people in the UK live in England so the the weather in England is what most of us will experience - hence why UK-wide averages are misleading. The UK as a whole gets like 1,300mm of rain a year on average but where people actually live it's much less.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
True, but that's a very tiny sliver of coastal area. The vast vast majority of the UK gets much less than that

Probably true if you want to compare it to the CS recorder

Seattle is considered one of the gloomiest parts of the US, so your sunniest would still be gloomy here.

I don't know, we were always told when I was at PSU that State College and the ridge and valley areas of central PA are pretty darn cloudy, and were cloudier than Seattle. There might be gloomier areas of the US besides Seattle. Pittsburgh is quite cloudy also and probably gives Seattle a run for its money.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My experience from inland places in NZ and regions like California and Australia, is that they don't have skies as clear as coastal areas after a front. They often have a haze, which lessens the impact of the heat. Perhaps your higher humidity means that you don't get the clearer atmosphere.

The hottest feeling sun, comes just after a cold front, so temperatures are typically only average, not higher. Don't see people sunbathing, when days have that feel to them.
Sometimes in late summer and early fall we get what is called a "backdoor" coldfront.

http://www.newsworks.org/images/stor...71852_hd28.jpg

When these pass thru it is very noticeable, particularly at the beaches in NJ. The sea breeze is not an afternoon thing, more like an all day and night thing with wind right off the ocean. Skies are clear also under the resulting New England high pressure. I notice no difference with clearness though versus fronts which come in from the NW or W. In fact, I'd say the northwest arctic fronts bring the absolute most crystal clear skies in this area and that would be in winter.

btw, Southern California isn't really known for having very clear skies, at least anywhere near LA with the smog and fog burning off. And imo, yes the southeast US and FL had very clear skies. San Francisco also had very clear skies when I was there once in April. But our clear skies in winter seem to be as clear to me as the FL skies in winter.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My experience from inland places in NZ and regions like California and Australia, is that they don't have skies as clear as coastal areas after a front. They often have a haze, which lessens the impact of the heat. Perhaps your higher humidity means that you don't get the clearer atmosphere.
Cold front here usually means dry continental, quite clear. Haze comes from high humidity [usually before a front]. It's possible in late spring to get hot, dry weather with clear skies. I don't think California, Australia or inland New Zealand have similar weather patterns to here — so your experience won't be a helpful guide. But inland northern California can get some very clear skies.

Quote:
The hottest feeling sun, comes just after a cold front, so temperatures are typically only average, not higher. Don't see people sunbathing, when days have that feel to them.
My experience is hotter it is = more sunbathers until about 85°F or so. Never noticed a difference with sun strength.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most people in the UK live in England so the the weather in England is what most of us will experience - hence why UK-wide averages are misleading. The UK as a whole gets like 1,300mm of rain a year on average but where people actually live it's much less.
Exactly. Just like Lapland isn't representative for whole of Finland, or even what we consider "Northern Finland", which is pretty much the northern half of the country.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Sometimes in late summer and early fall we get what is called a "backdoor" coldfront.

http://www.newsworks.org/images/stor...71852_hd28.jpg

When these pass thru it is very noticeable, particularly at the beaches in NJ. The sea breeze is not an afternoon thing, more like an all day and night thing with wind right off the ocean. Skies are clear also under the resulting New England high pressure. I notice no difference with clearness though versus fronts which come in from the NW or W. In fact, I'd say the northwest arctic fronts bring the absolute most crystal clear skies in this area and that would be in winter.
Plenty of backdoor cold fronts here, they never really let up here, just a bit less in mid/late summer. I hate them, because they bring a lowering of dewpoints .

Sea breeze all the time sounds different. I guess because your overnight lows are so much warmer, there's always a convective effect. Here the sea breeze starts mid morning and dies before sunset. The sea gets millpond calm, when it's not blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather