Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
To be fair, the current overcast does consist of high, thin clouds. Looks wintry
Yeah, I don't mind it too much because it holds daytime highs down. My ideal weather would be overcast most of the day and it clears off around 4:30 or 5 PM to give away to a nice sunset and clear, cool night.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, I don't mind it too much because it holds daytime highs down. My ideal weather would be overcast most of the day and it clears off around 4:30 or 5 PM to give away to a nice sunset and clear, cool night.
Up here, overcast or clear skies have little effect on daytime temperature — sun is too weak, a clearer air is often (but many times not) cold continental air. Though you knew that already. By early March, the sun will start to have a noticeable effect. Snowcover will weaken the effect, it may help increase the seasonal lag.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Up here, overcast or clear skies have little effect on daytime temperature — sun is too weak, a clearer air is often (but many times not) cold continental air. Though you knew that already. By early March, the sun will start to have a noticeable effect. Snowcover will weaken the effect, it may help increase the seasonal lag.
I wish the sun was weak here, even in December the sun has a bite to it here. Here our absolute coldest days are usually clear as well, but on winters like this one were the cold snaps are rather weak it's the overcast days that hold the temp down and create our coolest highs. It's currently 61 F at noon. This is perfect running weather.....I have work to do though.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Miami is a different world. Their sun probably feels almost as strong now as it does in summer here.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Miami is a different world. Their sun probably feels almost as strong now as it does in summer here.
Nah, not quite. The solar angle at solar noon right now is about 49-50 degrees. In Lexington in mid-summer it's about 75 degrees. Right now the sun here is probably equal to your mid or late March.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I wish the sun was weak here, even in December the sun has a bite to it here. Here our absolute coldest days are usually clear as well, but on winters like this one were the cold snaps are rather weak it's the overcast days that hold the temp down and create our coolest highs. It's currently 61 F at noon. This is perfect running weather.....I have work to do though.
San Francisco in December has an odd feel to it. Can be in the mid 60s in the afternoon but the sun is weak. Though the warmest days we can get are as warm, but it doesn't last. Strangely, when I came back from California, the dewpoint was over 60°F in the NYC area (and it was late December), higher than anything you could get in California in the winter. Obviously not normal here, but still possible unlike there.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Nah, not quite. The solar angle at solar noon right now is about 49-50 degrees. In Lexington in mid-summer it's about 75 degrees. Right now the sun here is probably equal to your mid or late March.
I know, but in Florida the sun feels like it is physically closer even at the same angle.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Some music you might enjoy, Ariete:
Didn't blow my mind, but it was good. Certainly a set I'd listen again to.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
San Francisco in December has an odd feel to it. Can be in the mid 60s in the afternoon but the sun is weak. Though the warmest days we can get are as warm, but it doesn't last. Strangely, when I came back from California, the dewpoint was over 60°F in the NYC area (and it was late December), higher than anything you could get in California in the winter. Obviously not normal here, but still possible unlike there.
A DP above 60 F in December in NYC would feel really strange. It would feel like I'm still here in Miami I'm starting to think maybe I should appreciate seasonal delay a bit more, so the higher sun angle is offset by colder temps? Though I do enjoy the idea of having really cold weather around the solstice, it just "makes" sense to me. Lol

Quote:
I know, but in Florida the sun feels like it is physically closer even at the same angle.
How so? I don't think a 1,000 mile difference would make a big difference considering the sun is 93 million miles away.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
A DP above 60 F in December in NYC would feel really strange. It would feel like I'm still here in Miami I'm starting to think maybe I should appreciate seasonal delay a bit more, so the higher sun angle is offset by colder temps? Though I do enjoy the idea of having really cold weather around the solstice, it just "makes" sense to me. Lol
It felt strange than it would now, as there were a couple days with high dew points in early November, so it wasn't unfamiliar. Harder to get now, as the sea is colder. I wonder what a 64°F dewpoint on snow would do? Instant ground fog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather