Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

The 18 and 19 -year-olds might be rowdy and behaving poorly because of their inexperience with alcohol, but I've noticed that 40-something people can be as bad, even worse. Or people from certain unnamed ethnicities, like our eastern and southern neighbours.

The legal age of drinking is fine as it is. Additionally, we have an age-limit of 20 for hard liquor in stores. In restaurants you can drink whiskey for example when you're 18.

My qualm is the current age of criminal responsibility, which is 15 in Finland. Kids grow up so much faster and even use that to their advantage, so that should be definitely lowered to 12.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 AM

330 posts, read 228,772 times
I seen online that all Young men from Finland have to join the army. I thought that was quite archaic..I'm glad we don't have that requirement here.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The 18 and 19 -year-olds might be rowdy and behaving poorly because of their inexperience with alcohol, but I've noticed that 40-something people can be as bad, even worse. Or people from certain unnamed ethnicities, like our eastern and southern neighbours.

The legal age of drinking is fine as it is. Additionally, we have an age-limit of 20 for hard liquor in stores. In restaurants you can drink whiskey for example when you're 18.

My qualm is the current age of criminal responsibility, which is 15 in Finland. Kids grow up so much faster and even use that to their advantage, so that should be definitely lowered to 12.
It's 10 in UK, which seems low to me. A very well-known case in the UK is when two 10-year-old boys tortured and killed a 2-year-old boy in Liverpool in 1993, and they were arrested and convicted, and were in custody until 18.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
I seen online that all Young men from Finland have to join the army. I thought that was quite archaic..I'm glad we don't have that requirement here.
Yes, we have conscription. You may choose civil service if you don't want to go into the army. And after the crisis in Ukraine, many countries in Europe have gotten second-thoughts about abolishing conscription.

I don't support it per se, we should go to a semi-professional army, where you serve 18 months and gain some benefits from it, like easier access to a university. But I benefitted a lot during my year in the army. I had terrible self-esteem in high school, but when you are a week on a training camp with a few hours of sleep a night in awful conditions, always wet and hungry but notice you're able to pull it off, it did good for me. Though it might sound like a cliché, but I went in as a boy and came out as a man, while having the benefit of playing for the last time in my life. After all, war games are playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's 10 in UK, which seems low to me. A very well-known case in the UK is when two 10-year-old boys tortured and killed a 2-year-old boy in Liverpool, and they were arrested and convicted, and were in custody until 18.
I remember the case. Made the headlines here too. In those cases the kids would obviously be taken into custody here too, but couldn't be criminally prosecuted.

But 15 is way too high. Teenage street gang wannabes use their 13 and 14-year old members for pickpocketing and shoplifting, as they know they can't be prosecuted.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, we have conscription. You may choose civil service if you don't want to go into the army. And after the crisis in Ukraine, many countries in Europe have gotten second-thoughts about abolishing conscription.

I don't support it per se, we should go to a semi-professional army, where you serve 18 months and gain some benefits from it, like easier access to a university. But I benefitted a lot during my year in the army. I had terrible self-esteem in high school, but when you are a week on a training camp with a few hours of sleep a night in awful conditions, always wet and hungry but notice you're able to pull it off, it did good for me. Though it might sound like a cliché, but I went in as a boy and came out as a man, while having the benefit of playing for the last time in my life. After all, war games are playing.

I remember the case. Made the headlines here too. In those cases the kids would obviously be taken into custody here too, but couldn't be criminally prosecuted.

But 15 is way too high. Teenage street gang wannabes use their 13 and 14-year old members for pickpocketing and shoplifting, as they know they can't be prosecuted.
It doesn't interest me which is why I am glad we don't have it. I'm not a fan of the army.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
It doesn't interest me which is why I am glad we don't have it. I'm not a fan of the army.
You don't have to be. And people who hasn't any motivation aren't even useful for the military. The downside of conscription is that we don't have the choice. If you refuse to go to the army or doing civil service you'll be jailed and you will do repairs in the Suomenlinna Fortress outside Helsinki. That is archaic.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Yes, it's unfair.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM

Hey NEI, as you know NYC quite well, I can't help but to notice that on street view the city is quite devoid of all sit-down places where you can just sit, enjoy a summer day and chill. There's no patios, no small parks, the streets just filled with busy people. For example in Turku we have the riverfront and streets lined with tables and chairs immediately when the weather permits. In Helsinki they have patios and key parks (Kaisaniemi, Finlandia, Kaivo, Töölö, Sinerbrychoff, Observation Hill, Alppi, Esplanade, Herttoniemi) where people congregate in. This I don't see in NYC. Are street patios banned and do you have to go to the Central Park just to sit down OR go inside somewhere, though it's 90F outside?

Old 03-28-2016, 11:25 AM

There are some areas that are green, for example, Battery park city and Central park. They don't generally sit on benches though, it's a big city, they don't have time for that. Manhattan is also very small so there isn't that much room left for green areas anyway. Even New Jersey (near nyc) doesn't have that much green.

Washington DC would be more like that.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM

It's good to have the longer days back again, it's sunny so the perfect day to go out. We still have a long way to go before the sun is up past 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather