Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 04:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't respond to this yesterday as I wasn't on the forum much. New York City and American cities in general are bad at public space. Seemed to be a bias in American cities of constructing large parks rather than scattered small parks. Some New Yorkers might dismiss sit-down spaces as wasting space for those lounging around, but it's more out of habit. The city certainly doesn't ban street patios, it's start to try to encourage them, though there are restrictions are far out them can go [can't occupy the whole sidewalk]. A document on the city remarked on the lack of places to sit as a problem (see pages 26-29):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...ts_Gehl_08.pdf

Page 27 has a chart comparing outdoor seating on Broadway to several European cities. There are some small parks. Battery Park City I don't think is that popular for those not living or working nearby in Lower Manhattan, Washington Square and especially Union Square are much more known city-wide I think. Here's Washington Square after a 90°F day.

to the right

Evenings are popular times to be out after a hot day, but when it's 90°F out many would prefer to be inside.

Most are still out of work by evening. Restaurants and streets are quite busy by 7 pm on a weekday. And office workers generally don't work weekends. Finance jobs with long hours don't reflect the entire workforce, and even there, just because the office lights are on doesn't mean all the workers are still there.

That's Midtown Manhattan; most of it isn't really meant as a place to stroll and explore, while there are plenty of shops at street level it's still more of a business district unlike an old European city center. You'd have better luck finding restaurants with seating in a more residential neighborhood:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@40.77768...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.fi/maps/@40.72669...7i13312!8i6656

A supermarket next to the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn added public benches. Dunno if any are using them, but they did a nice job with them:

another view
Ok, nice! That's what I'm talking about.

I skimmed the pdf yesterday, will take a more thorough read to it today. A positive attitude, I'd endorse every thing suggested.

---

In other news, FINALLY the wait is over on Saturday.

Forza!

I just heard that as we have a Kosovar-Finnish centre back Lum Rexhepi, he was asked before we signed a Serbian centre back from FK Sarajevo that do they fit on the same pitch together or will it be a problem. But everything's fine and they are good friends with each other.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I read he chose a foreign policy advisor who's pro-Russian and who has been financially set back by the sanctions on Russia. Gone is any chance I'd change my mind and support Trump again.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:58 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
There was a Trump documentary yesterday on channel 4, and wow it made both him and Cruz look like idiots.

Anybody that votes for Trump or Cruz is an uneducated moron. Both of them trading insults at each other about the size of their feet and manly parts, about their wives etc.. it is just so childish and if that happened in this country they would rightly get ridiculed and it would ruin their chances.

Not only that, there was some Republican candidate who was going on about homosexuality being a sin and shouting on stage, followed by Cruz shaking his hand.. are Republican voters really that backwards thinking? Not only that but also the whole abortion fiasco.. it really shocks me how many Americans actually vote for this crazy, disgusting backwards thinking party.

Cruz is almost as bad as Trump IMO, the whole campaign about Christianity being so important and religion etc, it's just a world away from the politics here and makes the Republican party seem like a massive joke to most people here in western Europe..

I don't like Hilary Clinton that much, but damn it would be pretty funny if she has to sit at the desk where her dad had 'sexual relations' with that female worker

Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
There was a Trump documentary yesterday on channel 4, and wow it made both him and Cruz look like idiots.
Hehe, it came a while ago on YLE 1, watched it on Tuesday.

Ah, damn. It was not the same one, it was the same person's earlier documentary. "The Mad World of Donald Trump". I think it was called "Who is Donald Trump?" in Finland.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hehe, it came a while ago on YLE 1, watched it on Tuesday.

Ah, damn. It was not the same one, it was the same person's earlier documentary. "The Mad World of Donald Trump". I think it was called "Who is Donald Trump?" in Finland.
There have been a couple recently here, I think the one last night was called President Trump: Can he really win?

Think I saw the 'Mad world of Donald Trump' as well last week though, it's quite funny how people can believe his lies IMO! He clearly doesn't have a clue on what he's talking about, last night an interviewer asked him his favourite passage from the bible and it is clear he didn't know any! Just using the religion card to try and gain more voters.. but then that is the same with most Republicans who seem to be mostly redneck losers from the southern states

Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,305,260 times
Saw that "The Mad World Of Donald Trump" was on a few weeks ago, personally, he could be the president of one of the largest nations in the world. And although he's proclaimed many seriously bad ideas (in a 21st first world context) such as wanting to force the Mexicans to build the wall, the real thing is that he wouldn't be allowed to do that because other nations would place sanctions, and that's not a good idea. One positive is that he does at least have aims and an idea of what he wants to do.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
There have been a couple recently here, I think the one last night was called President Trump: Can he really win?

Think I saw the 'Mad world of Donald Trump' as well last week though, it's quite funny how people can believe his lies IMO! He clearly doesn't have a clue on what he's talking about, last night an interviewer asked him his favourite passage from the bible and it is clear he didn't know any! Just using the religion card to try and gain more voters.. but then that is the same with most Republicans who seem to be mostly redneck losers from the southern states
Yeah, I checked it on the Channel 4 website. The new one probably comes here in Finland too after a while.

My favourite part in 'Mad World' was when the interviewer asked the former Scottish PM that what will he do if Trump get's elected as president. "I'm gonna fly to Antarctica. I've read that it's the last place where the nuclear fallout arrives". All the people Frei interviewed in Trump rallies were indeed so stereotypical rednecks.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 AM

After the 'Mad World' I watched a Finnish documentary called 'The Right Bank of the Seine', which was about the rise of FN in France. After that Trump nonsense even Le Pen and her niece sounded almost normal and level-headed.

This was so magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvlm3LKSlpU

I went like

Then I went like

And finally

Old 03-31-2016, 06:41 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,305,260 times
^^^^^

correct order of memes right here

Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 AM

Yup, crazy stuff

I just find the whole Trump and Cruz fiasco weird, it's on a different level from far right European politics.. you don't see Nick Griffin (formerly of the BNP) or Marie Le Pen arguing with David Cameron or Hollande about the size of their testicles.. it just greatly devalues your candidacy by reverting to insults and verbal attacks like that, over here that sort of argument would get ridiculed and would likely force the candidate to pull out, whereas it seems to have the opposite effect over there.. damn rednecks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather