Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Agree on the river one although the one from the road looks amazing too. Love how the snow just sticks and hangs onto the trees. Looks like a painting. Very lucky to be in that area with that scenery.
That's why wet, heavy snow is better. A different sort of winter landscape... bike ride this morning. Small island cuts the Connecticut River in two. West half:

In the summertime, it was shallow enough you could walk across. Rather mucky, too. East side appeared completely different:

A couple more of the river.

Spoiler

another view of the east half of the river

west half, but looking south. The platform created ice by slowing the current:

Nice sky. It kept switching from mostly cloudy to partly sunny:

More "lit clouds". Temps in the mid 40s. Windy, from the west or northwest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
Continuing with the Malaga Citypark

Royal palm on the right side.

Canary Island Pine

Horrible photo but anyway i think this is a Spindle Palm. (FlamingGalah?)

Ravenea Ravularis

Small Roads

Mirador

No wilderness

But it's beautiful anyway

Garganta del Chorro and the Famous Caminito del Rey

The new safe path

Reservoir

A few banana plants

A water power plant ?

It's evening, the last few people are coming back from the tour

I would have loved to experience it.
But even 3 months before the trip all spots were taken.

Train Tunnel

To be continued

Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's why wet, heavy snow is better.

Nah, I prefer dry fluff snow, if you get enough it will stick to trees. Problem with Heavy wet snow is that the flakes are made up of too much water and in any sunlight it will just melt easier and not last. Plus looks to "cakey" or cement like..

Quote:

Awesome. I have to learn how to get the cloudy background to show structure and color without losing the foreground brightness!

But I do have a question regarding this. How tall is your bike? Did you have a selfie stick or something? Looks like you're 10 feet in the air. lol

Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Drip Drip Drip. Another day in the 40s. Snowpack going....going...

I will admit.. the sun and snow on ground feels so good. Just a Gorgeous day. Anything above low 40s gets too warm. I love Sunny, cool days with snow on ground. Just something about that. Prefer 20s of course but can't complain about low 40s for this area.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
First pic is during the blizzard, the rest are the morning after.

Wish I could've got some better shots, but I was snowed in and couldn't go anywhere. And trudging through deep snow is exhausting lol.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Here you go Cambium.

Pre storm pics the morning before the storm

Post storm

Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nah, I prefer dry fluff snow, if you get enough it will stick to trees. Problem with Heavy wet snow is that the flakes are made up of too much water and in any sunlight it will just melt easier and not last. Plus looks to "cakey" or cement like..
Hmm. I think I like the "cakey" look. Dry snow blows off easily with any wind. Shouldn't it be harder to melt wet snow? More water content... more energy to melt the same level of snow.

Quote:
Awesome. I have to learn how to get the cloudy background to show structure and color without losing the foreground brightness!
I took that my phone (iPhone 6) camera. Can't remember if it was auto-exposed or I adjusted it. If you tap the screen, you can adjust the the exposure so the clouds aren't washed out.

Quote:
But I do have a question regarding this. How tall is your bike? Did you have a selfie stick or something? Looks like you're 10 feet in the air. lol
Eh, normal bicycle height; I was off my bike when I took the photo. I angled the camera up to get more of the sky.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 PM

Philly looks nice in the snow. Snowy big cities is a great combo but the snow geets dirty fast in big cities.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
That's why wet, heavy snow is better. A different sort of winter landscape... bike ride this morning. Small island cuts the Connecticut River in two. West half:

In the summertime, it was shallow enough you could walk across. Rather mucky, too. East side appeared completely different:

A couple more of the river.

Spoiler

another view of the east half of the river

west half, but looking south. The platform created ice by slowing the current:

Nice sky. It kept switching from mostly cloudy to partly sunny:

Nice pics!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 AM

Here's a cool question.

Which would be faster to completely melt to nothing?

12" of snow here or 24" in Washington D.C? Guess it depends on weather pattern at the time.

Still have a snowpack here (only 1-3"). DC suburbs have 10-13" still.
Washington, DC 20001 Area Snow Depth

Last edited by Cambium; 01-29-2016 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather