Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I don't know weather (ok, I'm joking... "whether", LOL) he's "Wavehunter" (I don't even know that user) or not, but even if so, would there really be any problem with that?
Wavehunter didn't like hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But that's no worse than huge areas of the world!! an average of 8 hours of sunshine stacks up well against a lot of places, I responded to the statement 'nowhere in the UK is even REMOTELY sunny' well I think that this proves that statement wrong, no wonder the world has the weather in the UK so wrong with in-accurate statements like that!
8 hours a day of sun is 248 a month. Return when you have clocked 400+ hours at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

8 hours a day of sun is 248 a month. Return when you have clocked 400+ hours at least once.
Which is still comparable with huge parts of the world and THAT is my point!! I am NOT trying to claim its the ******* Sahara desert!!! Your post is typical of the sort of thing that drives the ridiculous stereotyping when it comes to British weather, seriously have you seen some of the drivel that's posted on here?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Which is still comparable with huge parts of the world and THAT is my point!! I am NOT trying to claim its the ******* Sahara desert!!! Your post is typical of the sort of thing that drives the ridiculous stereotyping when it comes to British weather, seriously have you seen some of the drivel that's posted on here?
I average 9.25 hours of sun in July. In July 2014 we averaged 12.1 hours a day. And hey, according to the stereotype I should live in a permanent icebox...

Yes, I know all the stereotypes about British weather and I don't want to enhance them, as they are largely false.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:

We recorded over 400 hours once in July one year in Vancouver and we're at 49N

My post on Lerwick was more tongue in cheek... I know somewhere like Nashville has far more GDDs and can grow many more things in the summer. Still, Lerwick is pretty decent for 60N IMO. You can probably grow windmill palms there...

Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I average 9.25 hours of sun in July. In July 2014 we averaged 12.1 hours a day. And hey, according to the stereotype I should live in a permanent icebox...

Yes, I know all the stereotypes about British weather and I don't want to enhance them, as they are largely false.
Personally I don't believe this to be true, its bloody cold in the winter but I have the sense to realise its warmer in the Summer, the thing is you seem to be trying to suggest that you average 12 hours of sun in July whereas I simply posted the 'average' you posted the 'record', I am not sure why you felt the need to post your record July sunshine hours anyway? The point is on 'average' the amount of sun here is comparable to large parts of the world yet people STILL post things like 'I often wonder why the British have such good skin' because people STILL think that the UK is some kind of sunless drizzly hell hole, it is not and THAT is what I am talking about. Paris gets more rain AND has more rain days than London but you won't find so called 'travel experts' telling you to 'waterproof your shoes' before going to Paris! British weather is THE most misunderstood climate on the planet and people simply WILL NOT let the facts get in the way of their stereotypical view. I am simply try and point out some facts and people start jumping on me saying that I am trying to suggest Britain is 'tropical' or its a sunshiny paradise! I haven't said Britain is 'sunnier than Barcelona', I haven't said 'Britain is warmer than Miami' I haven't said 'Britain is dryer than a Summer in the Sahara' it IS however no worse than anywhere else in Northern Europe, in fact I would argue it has the best weather in Northern Europe but at the end of the day if people want to come to the UK for your summer holiday and you want to come dressed for a treck up Everest because weather experts from places no where near the UK tell them they need to then it's no skin off my nose.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
We recorded over 400 hours once in July one year in Vancouver and we're at 49N

My post on Lerwick was more tongue in cheek... I know somewhere like Nashville has far more GDDs and can grow many more things in the summer. Still, Lerwick is pretty decent for 60N IMO. You can probably grow windmill palms there...
Yes I know. Was it 2014? And it was clearly above 400 too IIRC.

Lerwick could not grow windmill palms, as they would never, well... grow. I believe that many temperate species have a hard time in Lerwick due to the lack of heat and sunshine, and the near-constant heavy windchills. For agriculture and horticulture Southern Finland is definitely better than Lerwick. During warm summers S Finland can clock as much or even more high-sun GDD's than the Scilly Isles, despite having a much lower hardiness zone (5b/6a/6b).

Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Personally I don't believe this to be true, its bloody cold in the winter but I have the sense to realise its warmer in the Summer, the thing is you seem to be trying to suggest that you average 12 hours of sun in July whereas I simply posted the 'average' you posted the 'record', I am not sure why you felt the need to post your record July sunshine hours anyway? The point is on 'average' the amount of sun here is comparable to large parts of the world yet people STILL post things like 'I often wonder why the British have such good skin' because people STILL think that the UK is some kind of sunless drizzly hell hole, it is not and THAT is what I am talking about. Paris gets more rain AND has more rain days than London but you won't find so called 'travel experts' telling you to 'waterproof your shoes' before going to Paris! British weather is THE most misunderstood climate on the planet and people simply WILL NOT let the facts get in the way of their stereotypical view. I am simply try and point out some facts and people start jumping on me saying that I am trying to suggest Britain is 'tropical' or its a sunshiny paradise! I haven't said Britain is 'sunnier than Barcelona', I haven't said 'Britain is warmer than Miami' I haven't said 'Britain is dryer than a Summer in the Sahara' it IS however no worse than anywhere else in Northern Europe, in fact I would argue it has the best weather in Northern Europe but at the end of the day if people want to come to the UK for your summer holiday and you want to come dressed for a treck up Everest because weather experts from places no where near the UK tell them they need to then it's no skin off my nose.
Weather stereotypes are perpetuated in part due to cinema if you ask me. They do the same to us. Americans in Hollywood who should know better always show Christmas here as covered in snow lol. What a joke. We almost never have any snow on the ground at Christmas. It is a rare treat and everyone gets all excited for even a hint of a white Christmas in any forecast. But they do it anyway for the Christmassy effect.

People without any climate knowledge totally buy into it. But seriously one time while buying a camellia, which btw is thriving after two brutal winters in 2014 and 2015, I was told by the "horticulturalist" in North Carolina that Philly routinely went below 0F and it wouldn't survive. He was a moron. We haven't been below 0F in years and rarely ever get that cold. We average zone 7B. He should have known better.

Stereotypes say Britain is a sunless damp chilly place, and that we are the same as the North Pole in winter.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Weather stereotypes are perpetuated in part due to cinema if you ask me. They do the same to us. Americans in Hollywood who should know better always show Christmas here as covered in snow lol. What a joke. We almost never have any snow on the ground at Christmas. It is a rare treat and everyone gets all excited for even a hint of a white Christmas in any forecast. But they do it anyway for the Christmassy effect.

People without any climate knowledge totally buy into it. But seriously one time while buying a camellia, which btw is thriving after two brutal winters in 2014 and 2015, I was told by the "horticulturalist" in North Carolina that Philly routinely went below 0F and it wouldn't survive. He was a moron. We haven't been below 0F in years and rarely ever get that cold. We average zone 7B. He should have known better.

Stereotypes say Britain is a sunless damp chilly place, and that we are the same as the North Pole in winter.
Its not the stereotyping that niggles, its people jumping all over you when you try and point out some facts, its particularly annoying when somebody from the other side of the planet scoffs at you and starts telling you how they 'know better', usually because of the very same bloody stereotypes they have heard that you are trying to alleviate! :-D.

It's like Ariet saying something like 'Finland can be warm and Sunny in the Winter' only to have a load of people from Australia telling him/her that they are wrong because 'Finland is a frozen wasteland' and then to add insult to injury they will start accusing him/her of exaggerating the Finnish summer and they will claim that he/she is trying to 'paint' Finland as a 'tropical paradise'! This is exactly what happens over and over and over and over and over and over again on here! Admittedly it is a bit annoying!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 AM

I didn't insult British weather. I like our snowy winters, but for example March, April and October and November are vastly superior in the UK to our weak springs and autumns.

And I'm a he.

And 442 hours of sunshine is our record during one month. That equals to 14.25 hours a day. Though the 12.1 we got in 2014 is vastly above average.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Well you would say that wouldn't you. You won't have a bad word said about the climate of the South East. If your sunniest month barely gets 200 sun hours, then it's pretty bad.

Where in Romania where you? I find it hard to believe that somewhere like Bucharest, which is about 6c warmer in summer, gets cooler days than London in summer.
F*ck's sake Dean. People can accuse B87 of trying to make out like the UK's climate is a subtropical paradise but you seem intent on doing the exact opposite.

Seriously, shut up. You're bloody irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather