Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
You said it, not me.
Well, you posted several comments that were disbelieving about the diversity of cities in the western world outside the anglosphere, did you not?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, you posted several comments that were disbelieving about the diversity of cities in the western world outside the anglosphere, did you not?
Nope, I've been a salesman for Anglophone diversity, but I've hardly disregarded the fact that there's diversity elsewhere.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think more sad is that Anglo-Saxon cultures are so flooded with Anglo music, TV and literature that many think in them that no culture exist outside the Anglosphere.

What I think is a benefit of being in a small cultural sphere is that you HAVE to look for the outside world. A lot of English, French and German documentaries are broadcast on Finnish television, we watch TV series and films from England, the US, even Italy or Brazil! Therefore I think people in small cultural spheres have much better knowledge about the outside world.

I would say that US, Britain, Russia and China has the worst knowledge of the outside world among the general populace. And that is probably one reason behind Brexit as well.
I have a similar theory.

When you're living in a small cultural sphere in the western world, you initially go for the lowest hanging fruit possible. That's generally local stuff (in, say, Finnish) plus the globalized anglosphere stuff. After a while you get so used to consuming anglosphere stuff (which is from *another* culture and foreign even if it's omnipresent), that it's no big deal to branch out to stuff that's in other languages and of other origins.

In the anglosphere, the cultural sphere is such a huge steamroller that it basically squeezes out anything of any other origin. Unless the "machine" decides to let something different into the party. Think of Gangnam Style or the Macarena in music... But this only happens extremely rarely. More often than not the "machine" will seize upon the good foreign stuff, and reproduce it with its own label, and feed it to its masses. Instead of importing the original... which is often of better quality. But the masses aren't aware of this.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
I have a similar theory.

When you're living in a small cultural sphere in the western world, you initially go for the lowest hanging fruit possible.
As someone who picks fruit for work, the bolded really gets my goat -always do tops first! -the bottoms ( so called low hanging fruit) are for topping up your bag.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
As someone who picks fruit for work, the bolded really gets my goat -always do tops first! -the bottoms ( so called low hanging fruit) are for topping up your bag.
Sorry about that, chief.

Seen any good foreign language movies lately?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
I have a similar theory.

When you're living in a small cultural sphere in the western world, you initially go for the lowest hanging fruit possible. That's generally local stuff (in, say, Finnish) plus the globalized anglosphere stuff. After a while you get so used to consuming anglosphere stuff (which is from *another* culture and foreign even if it's omnipresent), that it's no big deal to branch out to stuff that's in other languages and of other origins.

In the anglosphere, the cultural sphere is such a huge steamroller that it basically squeezes out anything of any other origin. Unless the "machine" decides to let something different into the party. Think of Gangnam Style or the Macarena in music... But this only happens extremely rarely. More often than not the "machine" will seize upon the good foreign stuff, and reproduce it with its own label, and feed it to its masses. Instead of importing the original... which is often of better quality. But the masses aren't aware of this.

Most of Europe isn't English speaking though.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Most Europeans can speak English though. Go anywhere and most will understand you or at least be able to converse a little bit. Same can't be said for us (except I speak French and can understand some Italian/Spanish)

Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Most of Europe isn't English speaking though.
Hold the phone, Mabel!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Sorry about that, chief.

Seen any good foreign language movies lately?
No worries.

No, but I haven't watched much lately, other than Guardians of the Galaxy II ,the other night. I love subtitled foreign movies though, and there's usually the choice of a 2-3 different ones most nights in town.

Just got given a series called The Bridge, to watch - from one of the Scandi countries, and all in subtitles. Don't know how I'll go though, as crime isn't really my thing. I've been assured it's worth watching though.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
Hold the phone, Mabel!
The point is obvious.. Mainland Europeans don't need to learn English. No country in Mainland Europe has English as its first language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather