Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times

Advertisements

No ****, no one was arguing that. I was speaking straight about how I "feel" personally. I never deny that I'm Venezuelan or my heritage, but I'm highly Americanized. It's what happens when you've been here three-fourths of your life.

Plus I am an American citizen. So my citizenship is American.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
You learn so much between the ages of 6 and 10, these are the ages you really start doing things consciously so they are really important to your identity. I'm a double citizen

Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
^ Yep. And I moved here at age six.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
One of my parents was born outside of the U.S and the other spent a good deal of childhood outside of it. I don't consider myself to be anything but American. Or course on a physical level my heritage is from the parts of the world (mainly Italy and Mexico) where my family is from. However I consider myself to be entirely American and thus am primarily concerned with the occurrences within and interests of my country. As I've said before it baffles me that Snj90 considers himself to be so "Ukrainian" when logically most people would not consider him to be anything but an American with Eastern European heritage.
So what? I could go and live in America for ten years, that doesn't make me American. As I said previously, imo nationality is dictated to by your country of birth/origin.

Of course, if you move to a country at 2/3 that's a different set of circumstances.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
No ****, no one was arguing that. I was speaking straight about how I "feel" personally. I never deny that I'm Venezuelan or my heritage, but I'm highly Americanized. It's what happens when you've been here three-fourths of your life.

Plus I am an American citizen. So my citizenship is American.
My Cousins who moved to Australia at 10 are now Australian citizens. That doesn't make them Australian per say.

Similarly, me at age 21 moving to America and going on to gain American citizenship does not make me 'American'.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
One of my parents was born outside of the U.S and the other spent a good deal of childhood outside of it. I don't consider myself to be anything but American. Or course on a physical level my heritage is from the parts of the world (mainly Italy and Mexico) where my family is from. However I consider myself to be entirely American and thus am primarily concerned with the occurrences within and interests of my country. As I've said before it baffles me that Snj90 considers himself to be so "Ukrainian" when logically most people would not consider him to be anything but an American with Eastern European heritage.
Exactly, you will of course have some part of you that will be proud of your heritage/roots, but ultimately that is all it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You will naturally feel drawn to identifying with your ethnicity, your blood, as I do, but ultimately self-identification is important. If a person repudiates his heritage, then it doesn't really count for anything.
Yes & no one is denying that, the point that most feel strange is that you actually consider yourself Ukrainian over American. A country you have never been to & that neither you or your parents were even born in, that is all, no one is saying you shouldn't be proud or identify on a certain level with your ancestry. Calling yourself American with Ukrainian heritage doesn't mean you are dismissing your "roots" at all...

Old 02-13-2017, 11:39 AM

In Buenos Aires I met many people who were Argentinian, lived their entire lives there, but still think they are more Italian or German than Argentinean, wtf while I liked Buenos Aires, it feels like the people there wish that they could separate themselves from South America and float off to Western Europe. In other provinces of Argentina people seem much more proud of their culture, but the people in Buenos Aires wish they could be Munich or Milan 2.0. That was kind of annoying I thought, it's like the American college kids here who constantly claim they're moving to Canada or Sweden

Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM

So SNJ90 hasn't visited the Ukraine? That makes his case even more ridiculous.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:41 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
I used to call myself Floridian in order to feel more connected to the rest of my family. But it was untrue and ultimately pointless.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
So SNJ90 hasn't visited the Ukraine? That makes his case even more ridiculous.
Nope. I think he should visit Ukraine one day to get a feel of his heritage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather