Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM

470 posts, read 454,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The only good climates (if you can stand the brutal humidity) in TX are Galveston, Port Aransas, Corpus and Port Isabel (which are all islands), the rest is either too cold in winter, and/or too hot in summer
Corpus Christi and Port Isabel are not on islands; they are on the mainland, but right at the water's edge. League City and other coastal suburbs of Houston are similar to Galveston in climate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Stupid thread.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Stupid thread.
I made a claim, and voiced my reasons. Why is this thread stupid to you?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The idea of a wall to stop tornados was proven bs. This guy is a physicist with no meteorological background and NOAA said it would not work at all.
How would it not work? The physicist based his proposal on the fact that mountains in China (that were the same height as the proposed walls) were able to stop tornadoes.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 AM

680 posts, read 648,874 times
You will get no argument from me... LOL

Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
This is an insanely stupid thread, expressing only an opinion. Virtually no benefit will be gained out of this thread. It's all subjective, to me north America is a climate succcess!!!! Texas is a large state also, with climates in the west more similar to Phoenix than Houston or dallas.

North america is a climate success for its wide variety of climates with nearly every climate on earth encompassed within. Only Asia can match that climate diversity. We get hot summers at very high latitudes, weather in some parts is always changing, stability exists in the west coast and other places such as Arizona, the east coast gets hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms, plentiful rain and lotsssssss of sunshine. The Midwest gets lots of rain also, with interchangeable weather that can suffice any cold/warm lovers desires. The thunderstorms there are epic and don't rain too much so you can still work view a thunderstorms epic clouds even within it. We have nice mild climates in the southern Appalachian such as Boone, asheville, and other places around 2.5k-3.5k feet up. I personally feel all this bashing of North America is uncalled for! It's an absolute climate success.
Thank you! All this whining about failed climates is getting boring and redundant. I just don't get the constant complaining over and over by some of these posters on here.

I too love the extremes that North America offers and find stable climates that don't deviate from the norms extremely boring!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Honestly, are there climates that are that stable? Everywhere on Earth outside of tropical islands have seen deviations above 5-10F. Even the West Coast of the US deviates that much; when Los Angeles saw 90F when the Eastern US was dealing with the polar vortex, than was a huge deviation from the average.

Just look at a forecast for Barcelona in winter, and you will see what I mean. It is like everyday is high temps in the 50'sF and lows in the 40'sF. If it deviates 10F, it is usually for on stretch of a few days during winter, not back and forth all winter long like here. I've looked at temps in places like Barcelona year after year and you just don't see the kind of up and down we get here. Same for Australia, etc.

Here in eastern North America, almost every single winter has a deviation of 20F for just about everybody. I doubt you will find that at most places in the world at the latitude of say Charleston, SC.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Thank you! All this whining about failed climates is getting boring and redundant. I just don't get the constant complaining over and over by some of these posters on here.

I too love the extremes that North America offers and find stable climates that don't deviate from the norms extremely boring!

Well some of us don't find them boring. What we find frustrating cause boring isn't the right word, are temps in winter that one day nearly freeze you to death, and then only a few days later feel almost balmy. And it makes winter gardening and landscaping almost worthless. And North America is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to winter stability. Even East Asia is highly stable in winter compared to North America.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If you think the Texas Gulf Coast has moderate temperatures, you don't kow what the word "moderate" means. Houston is hot as hades even in early summer. Now that it's August, we're hitting 99+ degrees. And let's not forget the humidity, the stuff which makes the tropical plants thrive and the people wilt. I was having a conversation with my wife the other day about how even though the kids are out of school for the summer, you wouldn't know it. Because it's so hot and uncomfortable, they stay inside all day and only venture out in the late evening, just like they do during the school year when they're stuck in the classroom. It's as quiet in the summer as during the school year
Houston is just far enough inland where they get a stretch of temps in the upper 90s and threaten 100. 100 is not as common in Houston as people think but they can have summers where it can reach that number a dozen times and have summers where it doesn't even reach it at all. Galveston, which is only about 45 miles is influenced by the gulf far more than Houston. There, you will hardly see temps reach north of 91 degrees. I said this on another thread, I wish Houston was closer to the Gulf. Summers would be far more tolerable for most people.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,464 times
Quote:
I made a claim, and voiced my reasons. Why is this thread stupid to you?

Because of the premise-

Quote:
What the title says. If you are one who likes a moderate climate, and expects one for the location, then inland Texas is the ultimate climate nightmare.

Nobody in their right mind would think inland Texas to be a moderate climate.

In related news, water is wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather