Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,166 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP9KxqyIpAA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You have strong opinions on Americans for never visiting here... you lived in Toronto, which isn't all that different, I think.
Yup, I think the differences of Canada are really overstated, especially by the liberals. Before I knew a lot about Canada I used to think it was some kind of leftist hippie nirvana, but now I know it's a country that shares a lot of the same problems as the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on the circumstances. Every friend I have started off as a stranger at some point. But I didn't become friends with them because they approached me on the bus and started talking about how nice the weather is. Yawn.

What Americans do differently isn't automatically wrong, but usually is wrong. Whether it's talking incessantly and never shutting up, or talking extremely loudly for no apparent reason, or having stupidly large portions of food, or driving 10 feet to the supermarket, Americans sure are an odd bunch. Especially people with the username snj90.
Out of all the things to rip on Americans for, being overly friendly should not be one of them. Besides I dont even think Americans are all that friendly, I bet if you go to Italy you will have a lot more random strangers talking to you. The biggest problems with Americans is their need for endless personal space, their obsession with big cars, the casualness, and putting business in front of family. That is America's problem, imo

Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Out of all the things to rip on Americans for, being overly friendly should not be one of them. Besides I dont even think Americans are all that friendly, I bet if you go to Italy you will have a lot more random strangers talking to you. The biggest problems with Americans is their need for endless personal space, their obsession with big cars, the casualness, and putting business in front of family. That is America's problem, imo
I didn't think Spain was any difference friendliness-wise compared to the US, perhaps the US is just closer to Mediterranean Europe in this regard? I don't think the casualness is a bad thing, Canada is about the same in that regard.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't think Spain was any difference friendliness-wise compared to the US, perhaps the US is just closer to Mediterranean Europe in this regard? I don't think the casualness is a bad thing, Canada is about the same in that regard.
I met some Spanish people abroad and they definitely seemed much friendlier than your average American. Casualness doesn't seem like a bad thing, and it can be relaxing sometimes, but at the same time it gets overwhelming after a while. American culture takes a minute to learn, but a lifetime to master

Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Yeah when I was in Europe back in May, I didn't notice any difference in terms of "friendliness". In fact, it seemed more people would approach me and talk to me out there out of curiosity.

Of course, I understand the propensity to criticize anything American from some posters on this board is far too great.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
I am down the shore in wildwood today.. wow, the ocean temperature is really nice. The surf is a bit rough though.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Actually to talk to random stranger without any reason would be considered quite strange also in here.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:42 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
I guess self criticism can be ok but some Americans take it too far. I love this country. My countrymen should do the same

Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,542,188 times
People in Europe will be a lot more talkative to Americans because it's exotic when people travel a long way to visit your country. Also, I know a lot of people are fascinated a bit by Americans regardless of whether they like America or not.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
People in Europe will be a lot more talkative to Americans because it's exotic when people travel a long way to visit your country. Also, I know a lot of people are fascinated a bit by Americans regardless of whether they like America or not.
But how would they tell Americans apart in Europe? Aside from the fashion of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather