Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golazzzo View Post
They're loud and can often be seen taking pictures of the Buckingham Palace. If you're fortunate they may even ask you if you know the Queen.
So you are telling me that NOT all the British people know the queen? That's bull****! Pfft, next you're gonna tell me what? That not all French people are beret-wearing cheese and baguette eaters? That not all Chinese people are black belt kung fu fighters? That not all Colombians are cocaine snorting guerrillas living in the jungle? All of that is BULL****. Liberal communist buddhist hippie politically correct NONSENSE. People like you MAKE ME SICK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yep, and females too lol. Funny because I immediately remembered a conversation I had with Ariete one time that he told me I'd do well in places like Germany or Scandinavia because of my "exotic" look lol.
Depends on where you're heading to, but in the parts of Europe I'm familiar with, there are enough "exotic" looking locals for you not to stand out.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Tbh I think Northern+Eastern Europe is the only place where this is not acceptable. In Latin America it's even more common than in the US
I don't really notice a difference in that regard between northern and southern Europe.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:10 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
How ya all doin'?

I'm back again.

Hey GREATCAT, I stumbled upon a classic from 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qflBymJW9f0

And modern airplanes are crap, WWII FTW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFiPMcsBjgY

Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If I saw someone going around smiling for no reason, I wouldn't think they're stupid but I'd probably be a little scared.

Americans don't just smile a lot as well but they're also very loud and think it's acceptable to talk to people you don't know in public places.
most people don't do that in the US, or at least my part of the US much either. Maybe if you standing near someone and notice something happen, a short comment? I was camping in Maine and the guy at the campsite next to me early morning walks into mine and starts conversation. I was weirded out for a few minutes and once I got over it, he was actually interesting to talk to far a bit. He was from North Carolina; definite cultural difference in talking to strangers there

Old 08-25-2017, 03:26 PM

808 posts, read 711,775 times
For me, making small talk with acquaintances about the weather is actually exceedingly awkward.

I'm an extravert, but small talk is just forced and awkward, and I hate that there's a socially acceptable kind of weather you have to like and if you don't you seem weird. For me weather is a "big talk" topic, and I can get just as defensive about weather as I can about politics!

Old 08-25-2017, 03:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,542,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
most people don't do that in the US, or at least my part of the US much either. Maybe if you standing near someone and notice something happen, a short comment? I was camping in Maine and the guy at the campsite next to me early morning walks into mine and starts conversation. I was weirded out for a few minutes and once I got over it, he was actually interesting to talk to far a bit. He was from North Carolina; definite cultural difference in talking to strangers there
My girlfriend went to New York for a week once, and had during that time multiple people shout from across the street that they really loved her clothes and such (women). That has never happened to her or any other girl I know in Sweden.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
WWII era aircraft were definitely the most beautiful. Not too sure about that Swastika though
The swastika is an ancient symbol of luck both in indo-iranian and scandinavian cultures. Swedish nobleman Eric von Rosen bought and donated the first ever airplane to the Finnish Air Force and painted the swastika on it. In respect we adopted the swastika as our roundel in both air and tank corps. This was when Hitler was a Corporal and there was no nazi party. Hitler ruined our swastika.

Another common symbol is the algiz rune, which means life. (And death.) Some Finnish memorial candles display the algiz, though it's now politically correctly referred as a spruce twig. The nazis ruined this too.

The algiz rune:

Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
It's a Hurricane, which first came into service in 1935, when the Nazis were already in power. I believe the Finns fought alongside the Nazis in WWII for various reasons?

Even the colour scheme is of the Nazi flavour
When the Soviets attacked us on 30 November 1939 we needed aid and materiel wherever we could find it. We reached out to Sweden, Norway, Britain, Italy, and foremostly France, because it was a different time then. Mussolini's Italy sold 26 Fiat G.50 planes and the War Council sold 12 Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes were used as scout planes, often from Swedish airstrips undercover. One Hurricane was shot down, but the other 11 were used until expiry. And there is a log with an engagement of a Finnish Hurricane with a Russian Hurricane, the only incident in WWII where opposite sides have used the same aircraft.

Nazi Germany wasn't a desirable ally, but in 1941 we really had no choice but to team up with them. For Hitler it was a war of annihilation, for us it was for survival. And we succeeded. The Soviet offensive was stopped, and we lost the war, but Stalin never got to Helsinki. Just like he didn't get to London. Helsinki, London and Moscow never had foreign tanks on parade.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Dunno, I found that Americans had a hard time avoiding small talk in elevators during my NYC trip. Here people just nod, say hello or do nothing and stare at their shoes when in an elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather