Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times

Advertisements

Melbourne

Cold...check
cloud... check
cold....check
cold....check
cold....check
cloud...check
cold..... che-e-e-ekkk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I grew up in Minnesota, its cold but I like the weather even less in Oklahoma. Unbearably hot, and the jet stream moves through the state so that its always windy. CHanges all the time.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM

14,326 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I don't think I commented on this thread so I'll stick up for my former state, Illinois. No way is it the worst weather-wise. As far as midwest states go with alot of weather patterns, Illinois is rather tame compared to northern Minnesota and Upper Michigan.

Worst overall weather gets to be strictly a matter of opinion. For me very hot weather is awful so I'd go with southern states and of course, southwest states like Arizona.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 PM

122 posts, read 168,767 times
Being from Florida and currently going through the hell of living in perennially frozen Pennsylvania for graduate school, I can say that I really don't find that much of a difference in terms of weather for any of the Eastern states north of, say, Tennessee. For half of the year plus (October through early April), they're all unbearably cold and dreary; the only difference is a matter of the level of misery. Maine and Minnesota are probably the worst, though; just looking at the forecast for International Falls is enough to give me a headache. Many of the Western states are much better in terms of climate but Mountain West states like Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana are rather horrible as well - freezing cold weather and heavy snow for much of the year.

Just a thought for the rather large contingent of people on this forum who constantly complain about Arizona, California, Florida, and other warm weather states - why do you think it is that all of the people from the frozen, snow-covered paradises of Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, etc. somehow seem to end up in our backyards? Are they just drinking the Sun Belt Kool-Aid or something? :-P

Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM

52 posts, read 143,459 times
Default Florida, California, etc

Great point!!!! Why are there so many MILLIONS of people who migrate from the artic cold of the midwest, east coast, etc to Florida and California if it's so bad. It isn't hot all the time, although I don't think I could take 115 degrees in Arizona. I understand that people stay indoors for many months during the extreme hot months.

That said, the PNW is extremely depressing; Seattle and Portland having so many people suffering from SAD. Much has been written about this. The suicide rate is quite high. Most people need sunlight.

Linda

Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
It's gotta be somewhere in the midwest b/c they have some of the hottest summers and coldest winters...another reason it's sparsely populated

Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,766 times
Any state can have bad weather. I don't believe any state has the worst of an overall weather category. Maybe if you had a top list of worst ofs then you can get an idea. Say like which states have the worst heat, cold, snow, rain, hurricanes, etc.

Minnesota I see is mentioned a lot. I can see why they'd be named the worst. Tons of snow, frigid winters and decently mild, humid summers. I only think their winters are the worst.

Tell you what here's what I'm going to do. Some worst of the worsts kind of thing. Worst (These are mainly my opinion and I could be wrong):

Winters: Minnesota (cold and miserable. Some people see this as ideal)
Ice Storms: Kansas (where I live it shuts us down if we get at least 1 inch of ice). You can also say OK or MO.
Snow: Michigan, Minnesota
Summers: Texas or Arizona (humidity)
Tornadoes: Oklahoma
Drought: Nevada, Arizona
Wildfires: CA, Arizona
Hurricanes: Florida (who are we kidding)
Rain: Washington State

I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the people who'll read what I just wrote will disagree about what I think receives the most amount of precip. or who experiences the worst drought. Anyone can view a worst as anything.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 PM

52 posts, read 143,459 times
Default California.... Florida

I had to laugh about the wildfires in California and the hurricanes in Florida. Lived in Florida for 20+ years... never affected by hurricanes.. my family still live there... only one member affected by hurricanes because they live in South Florida near the coast. The other family members have never been affected by hurricanes.

I have lived in California for 40 years and never affected by wildfires. never.

Well, that's my two pennies.
Linda

Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Florida= Worst weather due to heat/humidity + no seasons.
Minnesota= Best weather due to four seasons + ability to enjoy winter sports outdoors + cold crisp air = a delightful scenario for this Norwegian.
New Hampshire= Same as Minnesota except with mountains and more forest cover.
Maine= Great, but some areas isolated, and more expensive.
Pacific Northwest= Too Montonous with grey skies + not enough winter snow + not cold enough.
Michigan= Best Weather due to Lake Effect, but a little too cloudy.

Overall the winners for me in terms of climate are: northern New England, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post

Winters: Minnesota (cold and miserable. Some people see this as ideal)
Yes, the Minnesota climate is quite ideal for me. Duluth has one of the most fantastic geographic positions in the entire Midwest, and I would probably move there in an instant if more jobs existed in my career field.
Subzero temperatures don't bother me much, but having 75% Scandinavian heritage probably helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather