Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 11:31 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
First let me say, I live in a relatively "safe" weather area, while we occasionally get a nor'easter, I haven't lived through hurricanes (we did have sandy) wild fires or any other natural disaster. So I totally don't know what's involved with storm preparation.

Anyway I'm looking at the news and people along the coast of NC and SC have been told to evacuate and there are always those who want to "ride it out". Seriously? I can imagine it's a pain to have to pick up and leave and the stress must be high but I can't imagine thinking you'd win a battle with mother nature. Isn't a Category 4 hurricane serious enough to leave?

I saw the same thing in California with the wild fires. You're looking at fire out your kitchen window and you want to stay?

Why?

For many, leaving isn't the issue. It's the GETTING BACK. And maybe some fear of looting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 12:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Some shelters don't take pets...I wouldn't be leaving mine if I were in that situation.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM

297 posts, read 166,876 times
I lived in New Orleans and went through 2 hurricanes. Cat 1-2 stuff.
I couldn't leave. I wanted to but honestly simply and plainly I could not afford it. That's the reality of it. Yea, that's what happens in America!!!

Old 09-14-2018, 01:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
CNN reports first deaths...woman and infant killed by falling tree onto house
in Wilmington NC

Old 09-14-2018, 02:04 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
First let me say, I live in a relatively "safe" weather area, while we occasionally get a nor'easter, I haven't lived through hurricanes (we did have sandy) wild fires or any other natural disaster. So I totally don't know what's involved with storm preparation.

Anyway I'm looking at the news and people along the coast of NC and SC have been told to evacuate and there are always those who want to "ride it out". Seriously? I can imagine it's a pain to have to pick up and leave and the stress must be high but I can't imagine thinking you'd win a battle with mother nature. Isn't a Category 4 hurricane serious enough to leave?

I saw the same thing in California with the wild fires. You're looking at fire out your kitchen window and you want to stay?

Why?
For me, it is a calculated decision. I live far enough away from the ocean that it would take a flood of Biblical proportions to flood my home. I also take into consideration that my home is at 27.5ft above sea level so again, flooding is not as likely for me as for those living on or near the water. Right outside my driveway is a marker telling me what my evacuation zone is, which is Green meaning I am safe unless the above mentioned event should happen.

My house has withstood both hurricanes Charley and Irma, with the latter resulting in zero damage. Charley did take out my pool cage, but no other damage to my home. So for these reasons and others, I intend to stay in my home. Plenty of gas for the generator, plenty of food and water on hand, plenty of OTC first aid supplies, plenty of batteries and gas for the grill, and I’m going to be OK. Like I said, this is a calculated decision.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:10 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
To answer this threads question again... Honestly I know I wouldn't leave if I was told. But only because I'm not in a flood prone area, I'll get a generator, and I'll stock up and I can survive.... If there are no trees around your home and you're not in a flood prone area, just board up and ride it out. No need to leave. That's my issue here. Lots of trees. But I'll have large tarps ready to cover my home up. Meanwhile If I evacuated, the inside would get flooded because I wasn't there to put a tarp over it and protect my investment..

Also Means Free firewood though when they come down.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
CNN reports first deaths...woman and infant killed by falling tree onto house
in Wilmington NC
Wilmington NC is practically right on the water last I checked.

The only question I have is: Why even take the risk?

I would not be anywhere near the coast of the shores of the Carolinas this time of year. It's just asking for trouble. I still haven't seen a logical explanation to date aside from "It's a calculated risk". How many people have to die year after year for folks to finally wake the hell up?

Is your house made of stone or iron ore? Or is it a shed made out of plaster? These areas are not made for year round living in my opinion.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
To answer this threads question again... Honestly I know I wouldn't leave if I was told. But only because I'm not in a flood prone area, I'll get a generator, and I'll stock up and I can survive.... If there are no trees around your home and you're not in a flood prone area, just board up and ride it out. No need to leave. That's my issue here. Lots of trees. But I'll have large tarps ready to cover my home up. Meanwhile If I evacuated, the inside would get flooded because I wasn't there to put a tarp over it and protect my investment..

Also Means Free firewood though when they come down.
This sounds logical. However, the people getting killed there's always something amiss and funky about their situation. A basement over-flooded and somebody was sleeping or forgot their dog and drowned trying to get the pup out. All kinds of crazy non-sense. Year after year this same thing happens and people buy property that is the most vulnerable with no game plan.

I don't want to sound insensitive but I'm strongly leaning towards just writing this off as "Darwinism"

We have known about this weather system and pattern in this region since the 13 colonies. It's 2018. Are people really claiming ignorance????

Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Some shelters don't take pets...I wouldn't be leaving mine if I were in that situation.
So riddle me this. Your kids, nephews, grandkids, other relatives etc. You can choose to have the news delivered to them that you and the dog died or just the dog. Which option do you think they would pick.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Pets. It's always the reason I usually have not evacuated, and I'm on the Texas Gulf Coast. Shelters don't accept pets, many hotels don't accept them, and even the hotels that do accept them are often prohibitively expensive. Who can afford $130 or $150/night to stay at a hotel when we may be there for more than a week? What happens after our money runs out? Where do we go then?
I remember reading about people in Houston being turned away from Marriot Hotels during Harvey because they had pets. The hotel managers would not lift the pet ban. If I remember correctly, one of these people was an elderly woman who, when told to leave her dog in the car, refused and slept in her car in the parking lot with her dog all night in the pouring rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather