Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:32 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
But don't people have common sense. 130 mph winds isn't " drama".
Its something that can kill you.
Run from water, hide from the wind.

This has been the motto from meteorologists and emergency planners everywhere.

Though as I mentioned above it appears in people in Asia and the far east seem to get this much better than people elsewhere. Otherwise the chaos will be unimaginable with such a large population if they decided to build large amounts of low homes in low lying areas on barrier islands or the beach or decided to run and overwhelm the road and public transit systems.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-12-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Houston learned the hard way during Rita that evacuating can be MORE dangerous. You literally physically cannot put 6.5 million people on the road. 1 million is too many.

More evacuees died during Rita than people who stayed.
People who do this for a living know more about it than you do. If they felt it was safer to stay there, then that's what they would advise. People don't heed the warnings, and then wait until it's too late to safety leave. You travel out of the area to all these expensive and pointless vacations so you can watch TV in another time zone and drink a beer with relatives you can't stand, so use that same energy to save your lives. But this must be the fate of Darwinism, where the stupid people get wiped out.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

It’s not about stupidity however no one makes this decision lightly. The people that are staying are weighing it and giving it thought and weighing pros and cons. I would evacuate for this, I evacuated for Sandy. But I will not say it was an instant decision and I gave it a lot of thought before deciding to simply because I’ve been evacuated multiple times before for nothing.
Yes, it does have to do with intelligence. People leave their homes all the time to travel to places needlessly like to the Superbowl. They can stand to be away from their homes for a a week or two during a serious storm. And what's the worst case here, you evacuated and the storm completely missed your area, no damage, you are going to cry about this?

Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because no one knows *where* the storm will actually make landfall. Then can evacuate an entire coastal area, then the storm shifts and will land somewhere else.

So you should evacuate entire states? And have people go ... where?

Add in all the HYPE HYPE HYPE, the weather channels drag coverage on and on and on, usually only presenting worst-case scenario, 1 in a billion, if the stars align destruction, and most people in hurricane prone areas don't listen to them anymore. They really don't. They make their own assessments generally depending on experience.

The news does everyone a disservice. But it won't change.

And so here we are...everyone is whipped into a frenzy...and now the storm of the millennium has been downgraded to a Cat 3.

Not saying it won't, or can't, do great damage, but it is not a Cat 5 which it was speculated to be just before it hit landfall. So, if you packed up and spent a fortune "being safe", you might feel kind of silly, and broke. Plenty of Cat 3 storms have raged through the Outer Banks in the last few decades. People survived and moved on.

I know people will get burned one of these times, but it gets really old with all the drama, and then at the last minute we get a "never mind". Then there was Sandy, where the warnings were not dire, and look what happened....

The little boy that cried wolf comes to mind...

Old 09-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Means of transportation is another reason. It cost money to drive and stay somewhere.
And so do Christmas vacations and other holidays where everyone buys a gift for people they rarely speak to, travel a great distance to get there and think nothing of doing this even if they didn't have a good time, they do it again each year. But this trip is different, it could save your life.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because no one knows *where* the storm will actually make landfall. Then can evacuate an entire coastal area, then the storm shifts and will land somewhere else.

So you should evacuate entire states? And have people go ... where?

Add in all the HYPE HYPE HYPE, the weather channels drag coverage on and on and on, usually only presenting worst-case scenario, 1 in a billion, if the stars align destruction, and most people in hurricane prone areas don't listen to them anymore. They really don't. They make their own assessments generally depending on experience.

The news does everyone a disservice. But it won't change.
Darwinism. Stay where you are, because this might make the next generation that much more intelligent.

You gonna tell us how seat belts and airbags are a scam too?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Darwinism. Stay where you are, because this might make the next generation that much more intelligent.

You gonna tell us how seat belts and airbags are a scam too?
Why don’t we ask why build in those types of areas anyways in the first place, and even after it been wiped out by a storm surge? Build on higher ground.

I could imagine if everyone in Hawaii decided to abandon the state for Hurricane Lane. Which happened to be a cat 1 or less in most places. Maybe Puerto Rico should had done so for Hurricane Maria so they didn’t have to live through the aftermath.

Regarding airbags So many people had been killed due to the rushed adoptation of airbags they should had gradually adopted this technology to see the likelyhood of unintended consequences first and corrected them well before mandating them on all cars. Many countries actually took this approach and avoided needless deaths. I am not saying we should had banned airbags back in the 1990s but we shouldn’t rush to make them mandatory until we have worked out the kinks first.

Though you may have a point for those who were working in the WTC towers on 9/11. Remmeber the security PA announcement continued to say stay where you are? Those who stayed were pulverized after the towers imploded.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: NCws

Old 09-12-2018, 04:33 PM

30,447 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Haven't read through all the posts yet but wanted to respond to this...

I think those that stay know the risks; but they also know that once they leave, they may not be able to come back right away. That thought alone prevents someone from leaving. Not only roads might be flooded preventing that person from getting back to their home days later but authorities will block roads and prevent it too. It's a horrible feeling knowing the storm has passed and you just want to see how much damage is at your home. You want to start rebuilding but you cant.

Means of transportation is another reason. It cost money to drive and stay somewhere.

Storm chasing is another although I think that's a small percentage of people. And not every single home will be under 10 feet of water or demolished so those people may think their spot is fine
If i lose the house i just as well go with it. The gun comes out and i get it over with. So i am staying no matter what. Been in FL all my life and never seen anything over 80 mph in any storm other than the no name storm back in 1993 and that was from a cold front. So my 50+ years in FL and i have yet to have a real cane jane.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

A lot of the issue surrounds the "cry wolf" syndrome. Too often the weather industry tries to make things more dramatic to sell advertising time. Now they are saying the Florence is possibly the worst ever. Drama.
NOAA.GOV, The National Hurricane Center, etc. these are all non-profits. How are they making money selling advertising? This is science. Your logic escapes us.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I wanted to mention another thing employers also telling people they must report to work even when the state says stay off the roads and a lot of my relatives work for companies like that .
Which employers? If you work in a hospital, police, fire, yes, you work. Often you stay there, and don't travel anywhere during a serious storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather