Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 AM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times

Advertisements

No one could force me to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:17 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They’re not trying to force anyone to leave.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:22 AM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They’re not trying to force anyone to leave.
They did back in 1985 with Elena. I was on Tampabay then. I just snuck back in the hood later on. Only got gust to 55mph with that storm. It sat offshore 90 miles for 2 days. When i went 80 miles offshore a week later the grouper- snapper fishing was so unreal it was like going back to the 1940's the fish were so thick we got 5000lbs in a day. The rough weather stacked all the fish up on the high peaks. It was unreal for 2 months after. No wonder there are no grouper left.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
okay living near Columbia sc here waving hand . I live in the country and Columbia is a good say 20 minute drive from me I just hope the roads don't flood too bad and my neighbors house sits right on the ground mine is high up and have a high entry way on my house and a ditch in front but my neighbor has none of those things . Im worried about my husband having to drive to work on Monday too . but at least im not right on the beach thank God . I keep praying it will turn again and go out to sea . I know im praying for a miracle but hey it never hurts to try . well everyone who had to evacuate my prayers are with them and that their property turns out to be okay .

Old 09-13-2018, 05:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
People who leave have knowledge as well. I used to live in on a bridge accessible barrier island and in those cases you usually have to leave because they tend to shut the power down at a certain point and the bridges close once the sustained winds reach 40mph. I would even leave work early sometimes if there was just a generally bad storm because I didn’t know if I could get home due to the 40mph issue. While other areas are accessible much longer than those areas... the ferry islands are harder.
I get that. If I was on the Outer Banks, I'd probably lean towards leave. If I was up the road in Hampton Roads, I'd be more apt to ride it out since I would still have a lot of access around.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM

763 posts, read 379,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
I don’t think you understand the logistics. Where do you live?

When hurricanes are announced everybody and their mothers start leaving the area. The roads are clogged and all flights get booked. People show up at the airport and get turned away because there are absolutely no flights, no matter how much money they are willing to pay.
I don’t think there has been any problem evacuating the coasts of the Carolinas. There are far less people that live there than places like the Florida coasts or the Houston area. It really depends on the area.

Anyone who stays in the Outer Banks for this storm does not value their life, that’s for sure.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I don’t think there has been any problem evacuating the coasts of the Carolinas. There are far less people that live there than places like the Florida coasts or the Houston area. It really depends on the area.

Anyone who stays in the Outer Banks for this storm does not value their life, that’s for sure.

Or riding it out on a boat now that is insane ...

Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
No one wants to. We just don't want you to risk the lives of first responders.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
I understand what you are saying but for those of us who have been in such situations we tend to be less judgmental

It’s not easy when you have to pick your poison. Many times it’s devastating. Many times is a calculated risk.
Leave to a place in time like you should have where you can be safe you considered a poison.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM

575 posts, read 339,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No one wants to. We just don't want you to risk the lives of first responders.
Wait, somebody holds a gun to their head to keep doing that job ?

It's an incredibly stupid, and not even passive aggressive, it's an outright aggressive excuse, getting endlessly replayed, over and over, like a broken record

As every job, it has its own set of occupational hazards. This is one of them.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that everybody always rushes to their defense, but very conveniently, forgets to mention how much adrenaline or excitement they get and get paid to do it.

Ever listened to a group of such responders in a bar going over their experiences when coastal volunteers are called to rescue people from a ship in a storm? It's a very rare and highly valued once-in-a-lifetime experience (assuming here they survived the call, of course - which isn't always the case, obviously).

Ever had a friend working there ? For great many temperaments, it's an ideal job, for very good reasons.

To get back on topic, the government doesn't get to say if I WANT TO DIE AT MY OWN HOME ! It's my decision, nobody else's. Have I paid the property taxes ? So, GTFO.

Now, it's a free country, so if they decide they wanna play Last Man Standing after crossing over my doorstep, who am I to say otherwise ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather